Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default glue to fix broken fan bracket

I have a TD-350 inline fan with a broken fixing bracket / reducer. It is hard plastic that is under some slight bending force when fixed.
Superglue was previously tried but the contact area is poor and the joint easily failed when stressed.
Is there any adhesive that can fix it ?
I don't know if solvent weld would work - I went to my shed but my old bottle has dried up !

Image links follow:

http://www.imageupload.co.uk/5BpI
http://www.imageupload.co.uk/images/...04/bracket.jpg

Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sm_jamieson" wrote in message
I have a TD-350 inline fan with a broken fixing bracket / reducer. It is
hard plastic that is under some slight bending force when fixed.
Superglue was previously tried but the contact area is poor and the joint
easily failed when stressed.
Is there any adhesive that can fix it ?
I don't know if solvent weld would work - I went to my shed but my old
bottle has dried up !

Image links follow:

http://www.imageupload.co.uk/5BpI
http://www.imageupload.co.uk/images/...04/bracket.jpg

I doubt solvent weld would work on this type of plastic.
I'd be tempted to used epoxy two pack, although if it's under stress, i
doubt anything will be as strong as the original moulded plastic that
snapped

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, November 4, 2014 3:13:18 PM UTC, Phil L wrote:
"sm_jamieson" wrote in message
I have a TD-350 inline fan with a broken fixing bracket / reducer. It is
hard plastic that is under some slight bending force when fixed.
Superglue was previously tried but the contact area is poor and the joint
easily failed when stressed.
Is there any adhesive that can fix it ?
I don't know if solvent weld would work - I went to my shed but my old
bottle has dried up !

Image links follow:

http://www.imageupload.co.uk/5BpI
http://www.imageupload.co.uk/images/...04/bracket.jpg

I doubt solvent weld would work on this type of plastic.
I'd be tempted to used epoxy two pack, although if it's under stress, i
doubt anything will be as strong as the original moulded plastic that
snapped

Well I've enquired about spare part availability with the manufacturers. Otherwise I'll use the one bracket that works and fix the other end down with a rubber strap or something.

Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
sm_jamieson writes:
[...]

If the plastic is thermo-softening (as opposed to thermo-setting), you may
be able to bond it by momentarily melting the two surfaces with a flame
and then quickly pushing them together.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 04 Nov 2014 15:13:26 +0000, Phil L wrote:

"sm_jamieson" wrote in message
I have a TD-350 inline fan with a broken fixing bracket / reducer. It is
hard plastic that is under some slight bending force when fixed.
Superglue was previously tried but the contact area is poor and the
joint easily failed when stressed.
Is there any adhesive that can fix it ?
I don't know if solvent weld would work - I went to my shed but my old
bottle has dried up !

Image links follow:

http://www.imageupload.co.uk/5BpI
http://www.imageupload.co.uk/images/...04/bracket.jpg

I doubt solvent weld would work on this type of plastic.
I'd be tempted to used epoxy two pack, although if it's under stress, i
doubt anything will be as strong as the original moulded plastic that
snapped

**Sorry I'm late with this reply. I sent it before, but it was a victim of
Demon's cessation of news. Don't buy Vodaphone.**

My Keter plastic shed's RH door blew off in a gale 2 years ago, breaking
off the small spigot that formed the hinge. I roughed the whole area up
as much as I could and mixed a good dollop of decent (SP Systems or
West) epoxy with milled wood fibre as the filler.

It looks pretty ugly, but it has worked well in spite of the bending forces
that are involved. Things like closing the door on stuff falling behind
it and so on.

I should have painted it. It is starting to turn brown the way epoxy
does in sunlight.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The only sort of glue I've used for this sort of thing is Araldite and often
with some mechanical addition from some other material on the joint if
there is room for it.
Bloody plastic engineering again.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"sm_jamieson" wrote in message
I have a TD-350 inline fan with a broken fixing bracket / reducer. It is
hard plastic that is under some slight bending force when fixed.
Superglue was previously tried but the contact area is poor and the joint
easily failed when stressed.
Is there any adhesive that can fix it ?
I don't know if solvent weld would work - I went to my shed but my old
bottle has dried up !

Image links follow:

http://www.imageupload.co.uk/5BpI
http://www.imageupload.co.uk/images/...04/bracket.jpg

Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 4 Nov 2014 23:26:05 -0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

The only sort of glue I've used for this sort of thing is Araldite and often
with some mechanical addition from some other material on the joint if
there is room for it.
Bloody plastic engineering again.
Brian

My term for it is Plasticrap. Even a £27k Renault Grande Espace was made
from the stuff inside and a lot of the ouutside.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away