Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Home Automation, 1950`s U.S. style

From another place:

My house was built in the late 50's with everything electric made by GE. It had a GE heat pump, an electrostatic air cleaner that looked like it was from a nuke plant, even GE wire nuts! It still has the 24volt latching relay system for the lighting. There are 18 circuits for the output, directly from the relay to the lights / outlets. All over the place I have 3 wire low voltage runs to rocker switches that control the relays. While this may seem a nightmare, the whole thing works very well. The relays are still used in big commercial buildings , still available, and everything is pretty robust. Because the control can be easily ganged I have the ability to turn on the upstairs hall light from within each bedroom and downstairs so it is the equivalent of a 7 way switch. From the master bedroom there is a rotary selector and rocker to control every circuit on the system.

Heat pumps, electrostatic air cleaners, remote control lighting are we returning to the future;-)

Home automation - switching the CH on/off Rob[_34_] UK diy 26 March 24th 12 02:40 PM
home automation Pete[_15_] UK diy 12 April 24th 11 08:51 PM
Outdoor Home Automation John Home Repair 1 March 5th 11 04:28 PM
Home automation Jeff Thies Home Repair 11 October 28th 10 06:00 PM
Home Automation Security Systems CCTV Smart Home Alarm LcdInstalltions Intercom Phones World Marketing Home Repair 0 June 16th 08 08:15 PM