Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default IP Cameras and ******* ActiveX

Just got a Hikvision 3MP "cube" (aka small format) wireless cam.

It's pretty decent picture wise, for a tiny lens and a small box.
I like the flexibility of PoE or 12VC DC, wifi or ethernet.

Even the motion detection (visual based on definable zones) and/or PIR
are good.

The only thing I don't like is the web interface.

Apart from being inconsistent (to get FTP uploads working you need to
enable FTP in 2 different places) it relies heavily on ActiveX in IE.

In fact it's so broken, IE (64bit) won't work.

Whilst, with some buggering about, it's possible to view the live stream
in Firefox on Linux with the VLC plugin (and it works fine with an
Android client), it is a tad annoying to boot up windows in VMWare just
to alter the motion detection arming schedule!

I'm stuck with this as *someone* threw the box away before I could
consider a DSR and it does work in it's everyday use.

But for my next one, are there any inexpensive 3+MP IP cams that
actually work 100% with linux?

Must-have:

1) Indoor version and outdoor version;

2) Need several with wifi and DC in, but all must do PoE for later when
I get cables in. The external ones don't need wifi - will cable these.

Nice:

Motion detection, email and FTP upload.