Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Power shower: Something one can install oneself?

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"MM" wrote in message
On Fri, 24 Oct 2014 23:54:33 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

On 24/10/2014 21:08, MM wrote:
On Fri, 24 Oct 2014 19:21:24 +0100, Tim Watts
wrote:

On 24/10/14 18:54, MM wrote:
I can wire a plug. Before it became illegal, I put in 13A spurs

Can we please stop it with the FUD ;-

It's NOT notifiable work to add spurs - or even fully incorporated
sockets in an existing ring circuit.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...ifiable_job.3F

Even if it's "notifiable" you can still DIY - you may need to notify
the
LABC though.

(extra
sockets) in my own house. I've put in new sinks, soldered Yorkshire
fittings. I am a concientious DIY-er.

But a power shower? It needs water and power. Has to be fitted
competently so as not to endanger myself or guests (or future
owners).

Is it something I should contemplate doing myself, or is this the
kind
of job best left to a professional? (Who would probably not even look
at it for less than £200.)

Depends...

Will the pump be outside the bathroom (aka the "special location")?

What pump? Aren't these things self-contained? What does that white
box on the wall over the bath do?

It might help if you clarify what you are thinking of. A power shower is
a self contained substitute for a shower pump. It does not heat the
water, but expects to be fed with low pressure hot and cold. Its purpose
is to deliver a better flow rate in situations where there is not enough
"head" of water to do this on its own.

An electric shower (which looks much the same as a power shower), is
designed to take mains cold water and heat it on the fly to provide a
(fairly feeble) hot shower without using any stored hot water.

E.g. Power shower:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/triton-the...e-chrome/70070

Electric shower

http://www.screwfix.com/p/triton-enr...te-8-5kw/52753

It's this kind I'm thinking of.

They look similar but do very different jobs.

Fitting an electric shower is a far more involved job if doing it from
scratch:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...lectric_shower

However if you already have an electric shower, then swapping it for a
new one is sometimes less difficult. Fitting from scratch would be
notifiable under part P, replacing an existing one with another of the
same power would not.

No, I don't have a shower yet. Only a bath. The electric shower,
should I decide to get one, will be fitted over the bath and a shower
curtain installed.

Dinosaur stuff.

You should have considered that when buying the house.

If you buy a perfect house then how can you do any DIY?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message

wrote:

On 24/10/14 18:54, MM wrote:
[...]

Never said anything about perfect.

Its mad to buy a new house with no shower tho.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 24/10/14 18:54, MM wrote:
[...]

More to the point, what kind of numpty would reject an otherwise ideal
house just because they did not like the (lack of) shower?

Its like flogging a car because the ashtray is full.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...

wrote:

On 24/10/14 18:54, MM wrote:
[...]

Nothing like in fact.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 25 Oct 2014 21:32:34 +0100
John Rumm wrote:

More to the point, what kind of numpty would reject an otherwise
ideal house just because they did not like the (lack of) shower?

Its like flogging a car because the ashtray is full.

Good analogy. One thing not perfect should be no reason to reject an
otherwise great choice of a home.

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davey wrote
John Rumm wrote

More to the point, what kind of numpty would reject an otherwise
ideal house just because they did not like the (lack of) shower?

Its like flogging a car because the ashtray is full.

Good analogy.

Nope, a completely silly one.

Even you two should have noticed that it's a
tad easier to empty an ashtray than to install
a shower where there isnt one already.

One thing not perfect should be no reason to
reject an otherwise great choice of a home.

I thought you meant a brand new house in the
sense that you were the first one to live in it.
It would be stupid to buy a brand new house
that didn't have a shower today.

Maybe you didn't mean it was a brand new house.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sat, 25 Oct 2014 15:21:50 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

ARW wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Tim Watts wrote:

I assumed the OP was talking about a booster ^^^
I have not come across an electric shower with inbuilt pump

http://www.mirashowers.co.uk/onlinec...r=1.1532.353.0

That is not a pumped electric shower.
This is a pumped electric shower

Smaller than I might have expected, but as the O/P has mains-pressure
cold water throughout his house he doesn't want a pumped shower, just an
electric shower.

Correct!

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sat, 25 Oct 2014 16:27:57 +0100, "ARW"
wrote:

wrote:

On 24/10/14 18:54, MM wrote:
[...]

If one is like Rod Speed, one is perfect anyway...

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

wrote:

On 24/10/14 18:54, MM wrote:
[...]

I have enough of a clue to only buy
a new house that has the basics I need.

Corse it is different if say the builder has gone bust
and the house is very cheap and the total cost of
the house plus the DIY shower that the builder was
too stupid to have included is still very cheap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/10/2014 07:46, MM wrote:
If one is like Rod Speed, one is perfect anyway...

Well, a perfect candidate for kill file.

Am continually amazed by how many kill files he isn't in.

--
Rod

Shower plumbing install Phisherman[_2_] Home Repair 1 December 13th 08 09:05 PM
Gainsborough LTR12 (power) shower install [email protected] UK diy 0 October 21st 07 05:46 PM
INSTALL APOWER SHOWER wardy UK diy 1 March 15th 07 11:32 AM
shower pan install question gntry Home Repair 3 May 27th 04 01:44 PM
electric shower install stevep UK diy 4 March 23rd 04 01:27 PM