Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default Building a concealed door

In the void underneath my stairs I plan to box part of it in but have
access via a concealed door. the door would be a framework and
plasterboard. The top/bottom and `latch` side I am ok with as a facing
strip of wood will conceal the `join` . My main concern is the hinge
side and my best option (that I can see) is using pivot hinges so that
the last couple of inches at the hinge side swivels inward as the door
opens outward.
Any thoughts or ideas on this?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-10-22, Brian Gaff wrote:

What is it going to be used for? If its opened rarely then simply make it a
hatch and take it off when you need to get in.

Don't ask. You don't want to know. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adam Funk wrote in
:

On 2014-10-22, Brian Gaff wrote:

What is it going to be used for? If its opened rarely then simply
make it a hatch and take it off when you need to get in.

Don't ask. You don't want to know. ;-)

Do you live in Rillington Place?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:
In the void underneath my stairs I plan to box part of it in but have
access via a concealed door. the door would be a framework and
plasterboard. The top/bottom and `latch` side I am ok with as a facing
strip of wood will conceal the `join` . My main concern is the hinge
side and my best option (that I can see) is using pivot hinges so that
the last couple of inches at the hinge side swivels inward as the door
opens outward.
Any thoughts or ideas on this?

Why? Do you need to conceal a priest?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 22/10/2014 13:42, F Murtz wrote:
ss wrote:
In the void underneath my stairs I plan to box part of it in but have
access via a concealed door. the door would be a framework and
plasterboard. The top/bottom and `latch` side I am ok with as a facing
strip of wood will conceal the `join` . My main concern is the hinge
side and my best option (that I can see) is using pivot hinges so that
the last couple of inches at the hinge side swivels inward as the door
opens outward.
Any thoughts or ideas on this?

Why? Do you need to conceal a priest?

The reason for it is I currently have a load of electrical tools that I
dont use much and are stored in an alarmed outdoor shed but will slowly
rust.The other half wont let them indoors unless they are out of sight.
So this is a convenient space to use. Now if I store them there I dont
want them nicked should I have a break in hence the reason for
concealing it. Will also be useful for stacking any valuables if going
on hols.

that would suffice. Although the magnets would work I would prefer a
fixed door.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"F Murtz" wrote in message
eb.com...
ss wrote:
In the void underneath my stairs I plan to box part of it in but have
access via a concealed door. the door would be a framework and
plasterboard. The top/bottom and `latch` side I am ok with as a facing
strip of wood will conceal the `join` . My main concern is the hinge
side and my best option (that I can see) is using pivot hinges so that
the last couple of inches at the hinge side swivels inward as the door
opens outward.
Any thoughts or ideas on this?

Why? Do you need to conceal a priest?

Yes, he's a moslem and is an obvious terrorist suspect now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/2014 22:25, ss wrote:
In the void underneath my stairs I plan to box part of it in but have
access via a concealed door. the door would be a framework and
plasterboard. The top/bottom and `latch` side I am ok with as a facing
strip of wood will conceal the `join` . My main concern is the hinge
side and my best option (that I can see) is using pivot hinges so that
the last couple of inches at the hinge side swivels inward as the door
opens outward.
Any thoughts or ideas on this?

Soss hinges recess completely into the door edge and are not visible
when the door is closed:

http://www.hafele.co.uk/shop/c/cabin...ss-hinges/4908

--
Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

/Soss hinges recess completely into the door edge and are not visible
when the door is closed:
/q

They do, but IME of small ones they are weak, especially when stressed like a door hinge.
They're not cheap either.
Ymmv

Jim K

Concealed Kitchen Cabinet Door Hinges pkmicro Home Repair 1 May 19th 08 03:46 AM
Concealed door [email protected] UK diy 3 December 5th 06 11:49 PM
Concealed door closers Hamie UK diy 3 October 4th 05 09:00 PM
CONCEALED DOOR J T Woodworking 16 July 31st 05 08:09 PM