Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 2-part thing to neaten a hole through a hollow wall?

This is one of those "does it exist & if so, what's it called?" posts.

I want to stick a cupboard up on a hollow wall (plasterboard on one
side of the studs, lath & plaster on the other, I think), make a hole
through the wall, & pass some power leads (with plugs) and network
cables through it. Ideally, I'd like to cut a circular or square
hole, something like 75 to 100 cm wide, on both sides of the wall and
stick a two-part thing in it to neaten it. I imagine something ought
to exist that comes in two halves that overlap/nest in the middle for
this purpose.

Does it exist & if so, what's it called?
;-)

Thanks,
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

2 x 80mm diameter desk tidy /cable access ports glued in place might do it. If the wall is very thick a short length of plastic pipe to bridge the gap might be necessary
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adam Funk wrote:

Ideally, I'd like to cut a circular or square hole, something like 75 to
100 cm wide,

That's a very big hole. I hope you meant mm.

on both sides of the wall and stick a two-part thing in it to neaten it.
I imagine something ought to exist that comes in two halves that
overlap/nest in the middle for this purpose.

If you make a suitable hole right through the wall you don't need a tube in
two halves; just use one piece cut to the right length. A short piece of
plastic drainpipe would work. Or the duct meant for use when people put
extractor fans through walls.

to replacing "aaa" by "284".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/10/2014 10:30, Adam Funk wrote:
This is one of those "does it exist & if so, what's it called?" posts.

I want to stick a cupboard up on a hollow wall (plasterboard on one
side of the studs, lath & plaster on the other, I think), make a hole
through the wall, & pass some power leads (with plugs) and network
cables through it. Ideally, I'd like to cut a circular or square
hole, something like 75 to 100 cm wide, on both sides of the wall and
stick a two-part thing in it to neaten it. I imagine something ought
to exist that comes in two halves that overlap/nest in the middle for
this purpose.

Does it exist & if so, what's it called?
;-)

When I needed to do that, I used a bit of kitchen extractor ducting
through the wall, with a couple of wall plates from the same range to
finish the ends.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 10/10/2014 10:30, Adam Funk wrote:
This is one of those "does it exist & if so, what's it called?" posts.

I want to stick a cupboard up on a hollow wall (plasterboard on one
side of the studs, lath & plaster on the other, I think), make a hole
through the wall, & pass some power leads (with plugs) and network
cables through it. Ideally, I'd like to cut a circular or square
hole, something like 75 to 100 cm wide, on both sides of the wall and
stick a two-part thing in it to neaten it. I imagine something ought
to exist that comes in two halves that overlap/nest in the middle for
this purpose.

Does it exist & if so, what's it called?
;-)

Thanks,
Adam

If you did not want to push the plugs through, could you not make do
with a much smaller hole? Use an extension lead, and plug into that?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-10-10, Jeremy Nicoll - news posts wrote:

Adam Funk wrote:

Ideally, I'd like to cut a circular or square hole, something like 75 to
100 cm wide,

That's a very big hole. I hope you meant mm.

Good gravy, yes.

on both sides of the wall and stick a two-part thing in it to neaten it.
I imagine something ought to exist that comes in two halves that
overlap/nest in the middle for this purpose.

If you make a suitable hole right through the wall you don't need a tube in
two halves; just use one piece cut to the right length. A short piece of
plastic drainpipe would work. Or the duct meant for use when people put
extractor fans through walls.

Hmm, extractor fan parts might be good.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adam Funk wrote:
This is one of those "does it exist & if so, what's it called?" posts.

I want to stick a cupboard up on a hollow wall (plasterboard on one
side of the studs, lath & plaster on the other, I think), make a hole
through the wall, & pass some power leads (with plugs) and network
cables through it. Ideally, I'd like to cut a circular or square
hole, something like 75 to 100 cm wide, on both sides of the wall and
stick a two-part thing in it to neaten it. I imagine something ought
to exist that comes in two halves that overlap/nest in the middle for
this purpose.

I did exactly this with a bit of 40mm wastepipe, same sized holesaw and
a tube of caulk. Takes IEC/kettle connectors quite happily. If the ends
had been visible I'd have stuck a brush plate over each (
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331178920411 ).

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes but its the way the plaster splits and crumbes at the edges. There used
to be a gadget that shop fitters and those office partition builders used to
use like this, but like others, I have no idea what it was called, but as
most interior walls of this sort were very thin, I'd imagine itt would be
too short.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Jeremy Nicoll - news posts" wrote
Adam Funk wrote:

Ideally, I'd like to cut a circular or square hole, something like 75 to
100 cm wide,

That's a very big hole. I hope you meant mm.

on both sides of the wall and stick a two-part thing in it to neaten it.
I imagine something ought to exist that comes in two halves that
overlap/nest in the middle for this purpose.

If you make a suitable hole right through the wall you don't need a tube
in
two halves; just use one piece cut to the right length. A short piece of
plastic drainpipe would work. Or the duct meant for use when people put
extractor fans through walls.

to replacing "aaa" by "284".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, October 10, 2014 10:30:48 AM UTC+1, Adam Funk wrote:
This is one of those "does it exist & if so, what's it called?" posts.
I want to stick a cupboard up on a hollow wall (plasterboard on one
side of the studs, lath & plaster on the other, I think), make a hole
through the wall, & pass some power leads (with plugs) and network
cables through it. Ideally, I'd like to cut a circular or square
hole, something like 75 to 100 cm wide, on both sides of the wall and
stick a two-part thing in it to neaten it. I imagine something ought
to exist that comes in two halves that overlap/nest in the middle for
this purpose.
Does it exist & if so, what's it called?
;-)
Thanks,
Adam

Would it not be much neater to fit a socket in the wall?

NT

hollow wall anchor setting tool Fred UK diy 14 November 9th 11 09:12 PM
How to remove your thing when it's stuck in a hole [email protected] Home Repair 8 September 29th 11 12:19 PM
Hollow wall fixings Barb[_4_] UK diy 18 January 31st 10 11:52 AM
Hollow Wall Drive Anchors Sue Home Repair 7 February 11th 07 02:06 AM
making good: part-brick-sized hole in wall jkn UK diy 3 December 14th 06 11:36 PM