Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hex bits

What's the proper name for hex bits that have a "captive" end rather
than needing to be used in a bit holder? Searching for "long" turns-up
ones that are the right sort of thing, e.g.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181171631586

but are /too/ long, I just want the 2" variety.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
What's the proper name for hex bits that have a "captive" end rather than needing to be
used in a bit holder? Searching for "long" turns-up ones that are the right sort of
thing, e.g.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181171631586

but are /too/ long, I just want the 2" variety.

Screwfix do 50mm Dewalt Pozi no 2 bits at £5.94 for 15

http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-poz...mm-15pcs/33178

They probably do others as well

Otherwise when sold as part of sets they seem to be called medium

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Maxtech-27...-/301205421586

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, October 6, 2014 11:50:15 AM UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:

What's the proper name for hex bits that have a "captive" end rather
than needing to be used in a bit holder? Searching for "long" turns-up
ones that are the right sort of thing, e.g.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181171631586
but are /too/ long, I just want the 2" variety.

What do you mean by captive end? Those ones look standard to me. The waisted section is used to avoid snappage, nothing else. AFAIK all hex bits need a holder.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 06 Oct 2014 13:18:43 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

On my impact driver you pull the nose forward, to insert the bit and
there's a ball-bearing that locks into the "waist"

Trend Snappy

http://www.trenddirectuk.com/trend-snappy.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Other Mike wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

On my impact driver you pull the nose forward, to insert the bit and
there's a ball-bearing that locks into the "waist"

Trend Snappy

Yay! at least one manufacturer who has a consistently named range that
fits the bill, also "hex power bit" seems to be the closest to a generic
name for that type of fitting, which was all I was asking really ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/10/2014 12:58, wrote:
On Monday, October 6, 2014 11:50:15 AM UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:

What's the proper name for hex bits that have a "captive" end rather
than needing to be used in a bit holder? Searching for "long" turns-up
ones that are the right sort of thing, e.g.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181171631586
but are /too/ long, I just want the 2" variety.

What do you mean by captive end? Those ones look standard to me. The waisted section is used to avoid snappage, nothing else. AFAIK all hex bits need a holder.

NT

Those will fit straight into an impact driver without a hold & cant fall
out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/10/2014 12:58, wrote:
On Monday, October 6, 2014 11:50:15 AM UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:

What's the proper name for hex bits that have a "captive" end
rather than needing to be used in a bit holder? Searching for
"long" turns-up ones that are the right sort of thing, e.g.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181171631586 but are /too/ long, I just
want the 2" variety.

What do you mean by captive end? Those ones look standard to me. The
waisted section is used to avoid snappage, nothing else. AFAIK all
hex bits need a holder.

The wasted section allows an impact driver style hex collet to lock the
bit in place. You will note the bit holders also have the same profile
for the same reason.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
What's the proper name for hex bits that have a "captive" end rather
than needing to be used in a bit holder? Searching for "long" turns-up
ones that are the right sort of thing, e.g.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181171631586

but are /too/ long, I just want the 2" variety.

Can't say I've ever seen what you want - but I'd guess it would say female
somewhere.

Can't you just use a back to back female to drive a normal bit from a male
end?

--
*How many roads must a man travel down before he admits he is lost?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Can't say I've ever seen what you want

Searching for 50mm Torx T30, found what I wanted

http://amazon.co.uk/Torx-50mm/dp/B005AU1YDC

Still curious if there's a better name for that style?

Can't you just use a back to back female to drive a normal bit from a male
end?

screws are long and space is tight, I could easily use a short bit in a
ratchet handle, but my impact driver is stubby enough to fit *if* I had
a torx bit that didn't require the extra length of a bit holder ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Can't say I've ever seen what you want

Searching for 50mm Torx T30, found what I wanted

http://amazon.co.uk/Torx-50mm/dp/B005AU1YDC

Still curious if there's a better name for that style?

I think you're confusing yourself. Those are just long reach bits
designed to go in an ordinary holder. That you can grab them in a chuck
on their own isn't their reason for existing.

However, consider one of these - hex to 1/4" drive to use with a ratchet:

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/p...ails/040227359

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott M wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

http://amazon.co.uk/Torx-50mm/dp/B005AU1YDC

Still curious if there's a better name for that style?

I think you're confusing yourself.

I don't think so

Those are just long reach bits
designed to go in an ordinary holder. That you can grab them in a chuck
on their own isn't their reason for existing.

I don't want to grab them in a chuck, I want the type with the waist as
that makes them lock into a drill driver.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Scott M wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

http://amazon.co.uk/Torx-50mm/dp/B005AU1YDC

Still curious if there's a better name for that style?

I think you're confusing yourself.

I don't think so

Those are just long reach bits
designed to go in an ordinary holder. That you can grab them in a chuck
on their own isn't their reason for existing.

I don't want to grab them in a chuck, I want the type with the waist as
that makes them lock into a drill driver.

A drill driver has a chuck. Do you mean an impact driver?

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, October 6, 2014 2:37:40 PM UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Can't say I've ever seen what you want

Searching for 50mm Torx T30, found what I wanted
http://amazon.co.uk/Torx-50mm/dp/B005AU1YDC
Still curious if there's a better name for that style?
Can't you just use a back to back female to drive a normal bit from a male
end?

screws are long and space is tight, I could easily use a short bit in a
ratchet handle, but my impact driver is stubby enough to fit *if* I had
a torx bit that didn't require the extra length of a bit holder ...

I cant see how you'd use that without a bit holder. You'd need incredibly good grip!

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

/
http://amazon.co.uk/Torx-50mm/dp/B005AU1YDC

Still curious if there's a better name for that style?/q

I know exactly what you mean but best I can goggle is:-

'retaining ring' ?

Jim K