Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Extractor hood

A newly moved-in neighbour, after cleaning a kitchen stove extractor fan
hood with sray-on Ecover, was alarmed last night to find the thing
seemed to be burning internally. There was in fact a small amount of
wispy smoke drifting out from the switch area on top of it, even when
the thing was off. It did seem to have a slightly "electrical" smell to
it.

The thing got turned off at the mains fuse, so no risk now, and I assume
they are getting it resolved, but I'm curious as to diagnosis, and
information might still be useful. It's not a newly installed thing, and
one's first bet is that it's the result of the spray, and would be short
term only. If so, it's probably happened to others and confirmation
might be useful.

There's also the possibility, of course, that there was damage done and
still some risk of shorting. I'm still living the C20th, and have never
touched one of these things before, and wasn't even sure of the switch
functions.
--
Iain Archer
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 30/09/2014 10:50, Iain Archer wrote:
[...]

They sprayed watery liquid on an electrical appliance. Some got inside
and shorted something. What's surprising about that? It would have to be
dismantled to determine what damage has been done.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/09/14 11:01, GB wrote:
[...]

The used an 'eco' product. Nuff said.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , GB
writes

They sprayed watery liquid on an electrical appliance. Some got inside
and shorted something. What's surprising about that? It would have to be
dismantled to determine what damage has been done.

The likelihood also being that a residue will have been left behind by
the cleanser spray[1], compromising the insulation[2]. That will be
quite serious as I'd expect quite a few modern extractors to be class 2
(ie not earthed) so the implications of compromised insulation would be
an enhanced risk of shock.

[1] quite probably hygroscopic too so moisture in damp air being drawn
through the extractor will re-activate the leakage.

[2] possible risk of permanent degradation if 'tracking' has occurred
(deposition of trace metal particles in the path of the leakage current
leading to permanent damage.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Had they used it *before* cleaning it, and was it ok then? If not, there
is a possibility that it already had a fault when they moved in - and
that the effect of cleaning it is not relevant.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, September 30, 2014 10:50:33 AM UTC+1, Iain Archer wrote:
[...]

If its the switch, it can either be replaced, or if not, remove it, wash it out, dry it out for a week and refit. Give it an insulation test if at all possible, but a week's dry time (opened) is enough for anything IME.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 30/09/2014 19:17, wrote:
[...]

With due respect to you and the OP, does his question fill you with
confidence in his electrical ability? I'm not convinced he should
attempt to follow your advice. If it's a cheap extractor, replace it. If
not, 'get a man in'.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, September 30, 2014 11:41:08 PM UTC+1, GB wrote:
On 30/09/2014 19:17, wrote:
[...]

I guess you're right on that

NT

Extractor hood for new oven [email protected] UK diy 22 June 8th 12 07:43 PM
Extractor hood recommendations wanted Phil Addison UK diy 1 November 7th 10 12:03 AM
Extractor hood John UK diy 3 January 16th 09 11:09 PM
Cooker hood extractor venting Pufter UK diy 4 May 19th 05 03:40 PM
Cooker hood extractor venting Pufter UK diy 0 May 17th 05 03:33 PM