Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Extractor hood for new oven

I have an opportunity to re-model my kitchen and put the cooker on an outside wall. So I thought I'd go for a gas hob and an extractor hood.

A quick glance at the extractor hood market shows a vast array of models and prices. Has anyone been down this road recently and can make any recommendations or point out any pitfalls?

Cheers.

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
I have an opportunity to re-model my kitchen and put the cooker on an
outside wall. So I thought I'd go for a gas hob and an extractor hood.

A quick glance at the extractor hood market shows a vast array of models
and prices. Has anyone been down this road recently and can make any
recommendations or point out any pitfalls?

Cheers.

Chris

We love our Miele. It works well and looks great.

Phian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
I have an opportunity to re-model my kitchen and put the cooker on an
outside wall. So I thought I'd go for a gas hob and an extractor hood.

A quick glance at the extractor hood market shows a vast array of models
and prices. Has anyone been down this road recently and can make any
recommendations or point out any pitfalls?

We are starting to look at the moment.
Things so far:

* Check the built in lighting is effective and the bulbs are easy to change
* Dishwashable filters
* Wider is better

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message

wrote in message
I have an opportunity to re-model my kitchen and put the cooker on an
outside wall. So I thought I'd go for a gas hob and an extractor hood.

A quick glance at the extractor hood market shows a vast array of models
and prices. Has anyone been down this road recently and can make any
recommendations or point out any pitfalls?

We are starting to look at the moment.
Things so far:

* Check the built in lighting is effective and the bulbs are easy to
change
* Dishwashable filters
* Wider is better

Just to add that we are also specifying a whole kitchen extractor - ceiling
mounted fan - to get anything the hob hood doesn't.
Reminded of this just now when cooking sausages rolled in bacon in the oven
and seeing the smoke coming out into the kitchen.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, June 5, 2012 7:47:42 PM UTC+1, wrote:
I have an opportunity to re-model my kitchen and put the cooker on an outside wall. So I thought I'd go for a gas hob and an extractor hood.

A quick glance at the extractor hood market shows a vast array of models and prices. Has anyone been down this road recently and can make any recommendations or point out any pitfalls?

Cheers.

Chris

I'm looking as well too.
There is much disagreement about the extraction rate required. It would be a pain to have a lowest setting too fast or a highest setting too slow.
Most seem to have 3 speeds which are implemented using taps on the motor. I would love to have in infinitely variable speed control instead.
Also of course the length and type of ducting will affect the effective extraction rate.
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sm_jamieson" wrote in message
[...]

Oh, my Lady Wife has requested a picture of the installation to check
aestheitcs and I'd quite like a look as well, if you could oblige. :-)

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Urg - wrong post.
Sorry.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6/6/2012 9:58 AM, sm_jamieson wrote:

We are going for 700mm hob I think, and a 900mm hood. We want a bit of overlap so we can put the electric steamer next to the hob and catch most the steam !
Simon.

Also useful when slicing onions!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If you are going for a 900 or 1000 mm cooker you will find that hoods
to suit cost an arm and a leg. For my big cooker I've got a pair of
600 hoods side by side: overlaps the cooker nicely, only downside was
the need to sort out the ducting (I think you can get Tees now, I have
two rectangular ducts one over the other going to a single outlet).

Oh, my Lady Wife has requested a picture of the installation to check
aestheitcs and I'd quite like a look as well, if you could oblige. :-)

Cheers

Dave R
[Just posted this to the wrong part of the thread]

Never got the hang of these newfangled dropboxes, but this is a valid
email if you want to give me your address

Steve
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
I have an opportunity to re-model my kitchen and put the cooker on an
outside wall. So I thought I'd go for a gas hob and an extractor hood.

A quick glance at the extractor hood market shows a vast array of models
and prices. Has anyone been down this road recently and can make any
recommendations or point out any pitfalls?

Just noted that the sizing of the extractor fans is based on room size, to
get between 8 and 12 changes of air per hour.
Now if the fan is only clearing fumes from the hob this doesn't make sense -
it should be the same size for the same hob.
The main issue would not to be too powerful so you aren't sucking too
strongly for a small room.

So are these cooker hoods supposed to act as whole room extractor fans?
Not usually best positioned for this IMHO.

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
eb.com...

If you are going for a 900 or 1000 mm cooker you will find that hoods
to suit cost an arm and a leg. For my big cooker I've got a pair of
600 hoods side by side: overlaps the cooker nicely, only downside was
the need to sort out the ducting (I think you can get Tees now, I have
two rectangular ducts one over the other going to a single outlet).

Oh, my Lady Wife has requested a picture of the installation to check
aestheitcs and I'd quite like a look as well, if you could oblige. :-)

Cheers

Dave R
[Just posted this to the wrong part of the thread]

Never got the hang of these newfangled dropboxes, but this is a valid
email if you want to give me your address

Steve

:
Remote host said: 550 5.7.1 Relay Denied [BODY]
"

So something doesn't like your/my adress - unless my address has been
blacklisted on your server.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

eb.com...

try moc.tenretnitb@elbbiw through your mirror server

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote
wrote

I have an opportunity to re-model my kitchen and put the cooker on an
outside wall. So I thought I'd go for a gas hob and an extractor hood.

A quick glance at the extractor hood market shows a vast array of models
and prices. Has anyone been down this road recently and can make any
recommendations or point out any pitfalls?

Just noted that the sizing of the extractor fans is based on room size, to
get between 8 and 12 changes of air per hour.

Now if the fan is only clearing fumes from the hob this doesn't make
sense - it should be the same size for the same hob.

The main issue would not to be too powerful so you aren't sucking too
strongly for a small room.

So are these cooker hoods supposed to act as whole room extractor fans?

Arguably they should be given that so many use stuff like electric frypans
etc
now as well as the hob. I do **** all on the hob now, just the mega batches
of marmalade and relish etc, everything else gets done in the appliances
like
microwave, convection oven, bread machine, electric frypan etc.

Not usually best positioned for this IMHO.

Sure, but how many are going to have more than one ?

I actually get less that need to be extracted from the hob than that non hob
cooking.

I do have a quite powerful extractor fan over the hob, but that's because
the kitchen was designed 40 years ago before I did most of the cooking
elsewhere than on the hob.

I probably would still do it the same way when designing it today,
tho I might have an extra powerful extractor over the grill which is
in the base of the big wall oven that's not on the external wall. The
hob is on the external wall. Grilling is what needs the most extraction
wise because I get one of those case metal plates stinking hot before
grilling steaks and the fat from those when grilled frozen can catch
fire in the cast iron plate and produce a hell of a lot of smoke and that
does produce quite a bit of deposit in the very large room that got the
kitchen off one side of it, very big open plan room, no separate kitchen.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/06/2012 10:30, David WE Roberts wrote:

wrote in message
I have an opportunity to re-model my kitchen and put the cooker on an
outside wall. So I thought I'd go for a gas hob and an extractor hood.

A quick glance at the extractor hood market shows a vast array of
models and prices. Has anyone been down this road recently and can
make any recommendations or point out any pitfalls?

Just noted that the sizing of the extractor fans is based on room size,
to get between 8 and 12 changes of air per hour.
Now if the fan is only clearing fumes from the hob this doesn't make
sense - it should be the same size for the same hob.
The main issue would not to be too powerful so you aren't sucking too
strongly for a small room.

So are these cooker hoods supposed to act as whole room extractor fans?
Not usually best positioned for this IMHO.

Cheers

Dave R

Not really an issue, most of them have three speeds so with my double
system I have six choices! Will try to sort out a link to let me post
some pictures for you, but am off on hols on Saturday.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave R
[Just posted this to the wrong part of the thread]

Never got the hang of these newfangled dropboxes, but this is a valid
email if you want to give me your address

try moc.tenretnitb@elbbiw through your mirror server

Sorry, don't understand. Will try to post images somewhere.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
b.com...

Dave R
[Just posted this to the wrong part of the thread]

Never got the hang of these newfangled dropboxes, but this is a valid
email if you want to give me your address

try moc.tenretnitb@elbbiw through your mirror server

Sorry, don't understand. Will try to post images somewhere.

Email address typed backwards, so correct if vieweed through a mirror.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 7, 11:10*pm, Rick Hughes
wrote:
On 05/06/2012 19:47, wrote:

I have an opportunity to re-model my kitchen and put the cooker on an outside wall. So I thought I'd go for a gas hob and an extractor hood.

A quick glance at the extractor hood market shows a vast array of models and prices. Has anyone been down this road recently and can make any recommendations or point out any pitfalls?

Cheers.

Chris

I have activated carbon filter in our extract and they are £80 a pop
..... avoid these if you can
The mesh grease filter is fine ... just stick it in dishwasher.

I thought the carbon filters were for recirculation mode. Which in my
opinion is a waste of electricity and wall space. Either put ducting
in so that the extractor extracts as it should, or save your money and
open the back door.

Extractor hood John UK diy 3 January 16th 09 11:09 PM
Oven extractor hood attracts dust jim UK diy 3 July 31st 07 07:21 AM
Kitchen Chimney Extractor Hood Ed_Zep UK diy 3 October 29th 06 05:49 PM
Which extractor pipe for new cooker hood [email protected] UK diy 5 February 10th 06 03:50 AM
Cooker hood extractor venting Pufter UK diy 4 May 19th 05 03:40 PM