Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default [?] Floor screed - drying out time and sealing

On Sunday, September 19, 2010 10:07:09 AM UTC+1, David Chapman wrote:
We've recently had a screeded floor (around 50mm thick) laid in a new
conservatory.

We were told by the builder who laid it that it would take 3 weeks to
dry out, and someone else in the trade said that we should leave it for
at least six weeks.

I'd appreciate hearing the views of the experts in this NG about its
likely drying out time (at this time of year in London) and what we
should be doing to speed it along.

Also, when it is finally dry enough, what sealant(s) should we use to
prepare its surface ready for Flotex floor covering?

Many thanks,

- Dave

--
David C.Chapman - )

David,

Screed floor dry out at a rate of 1mm per day in ideal conditions. Suggest you keep all windows and doors closed at all times as in the early stages screed acts like a sponge and draws moisture back in from the atmosphere. You can help speed up the drying out process by getting a de-humidifier and put your underfloor heating on low if you have it.
I have had a screed floor laid and have allowed it 6 weeks to dry out properly.
Be sure to dry it out as floor tiles will only start to lift up if you don't.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/09/2014 18:29, wrote:
[...]

Was the screed more than 1.471 metres thick? Or the conditions not
optimal? Otherwise it might be dry.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

As the original post was 4 years ago I expect it's dry by now!

--

TOJ.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Other John wrote

As the original post was 4 years ago I expect it's dry by now!

********, beat me to it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/09/2014 20:12, Jabba wrote:
The Other John wrote

As the original post was 4 years ago I expect it's dry by now!

********, beat me to it.

Beat you both to it!

--
Rod

Soft floor screed Julian[_3_] UK diy 10 May 25th 11 09:12 AM
floor screed again sm_jamieson UK diy 2 July 12th 10 04:13 PM
Floor screed? Tim S UK diy 17 December 5th 08 08:32 PM
ABS Cement Drying Time Steve B Home Repair 4 May 27th 06 05:34 AM
PVA new screed floor? Mark UK diy 2 February 17th 05 07:28 PM