Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default USB endoscopes

I'm pretty sure one of my chimneys doesn't have a liner. I thought I
could check using one of these USB endoscope thingies:

http://tinyurl.com/q858a6r

However, they all seem to have floppy cables and I want to be able to
shove it up the chimney.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Another Dave
--
Change nospam to gmx in e-mail.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Sep 2014 19:51:55 +0100, Another Dave
wrote:

I'm pretty sure one of my chimneys doesn't have a liner. I thought I
could check using one of these USB endoscope thingies:

http://tinyurl.com/q858a6r

However, they all seem to have floppy cables and I want to be able to
shove it up the chimney.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Another Dave

Tape the cable to a fibreglass fishing rod, garden cane, or whatever
seems suitable.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I'm pretty sure one of my chimneys doesn't have a liner. I thought I
could check using one of these USB endoscope thingies:

http://tinyurl.com/q858a6r

However, they all seem to have floppy cables and I want to be able to
shove it up the chimney.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Another Dave

Tape the cable to a fibreglass fishing rod, garden cane, or whatever
seems suitable.

Indeed. I don't know what I've been using for brains all these years.

Another Dave

--
Change nospam to gmx in e-mail.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another Dave wrote:

Indeed. I don't know what I've been using for brains all these years.

Maybe, if you shove the thing far enough up your nose you'll find out!

to replacing "aaa" by "284".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, September 26, 2014 7:51:55 PM UTC+1, Another Dave wrote:
I'm pretty sure one of my chimneys doesn't have a liner. I thought I
could check using one of these USB endoscope thingies:
However, they all seem to have floppy cables and I want to be able to
shove it up the chimney.

You could drop it down the chimney from the top?

Some of them have goosenecks rather than flexes.

Maybe putting the flex in a length of foam pipe insulation would stiffen it sufficiently?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another Dave wrote

I'm pretty sure one of my chimneys doesn't have a liner. I thought I
could check using one of these USB endoscope thingies:

http://tinyurl.com/q858a6r

However, they all seem to have floppy cables and I want to be able to
shove it up the chimney.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Another Dave

Have you got a powered USB for it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/09/2014 20:10, Jabba wrote:
Another Dave wrote

I'm pretty sure one of my chimneys doesn't have a liner. I thought I
could check using one of these USB endoscope thingies:

http://tinyurl.com/q858a6r

However, they all seem to have floppy cables and I want to be able to
shove it up the chimney.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Another Dave

Have you got a powered USB for it?

Several 2 Amp ones. Do they use a lot of current?

Another Dave

--
Change nospam to gmx in e-mail.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another Dave wrote

On 26/09/2014 20:10, Jabba wrote:
Another Dave wrote

I'm pretty sure one of my chimneys doesn't have a liner. I thought I
could check using one of these USB endoscope thingies:

http://tinyurl.com/q858a6r

However, they all seem to have floppy cables and I want to be able to
shove it up the chimney.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Another Dave

Have you got a powered USB for it?

Several 2 Amp ones. Do they use a lot of current?

No idea, probably worth checking with seller.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Another Dave
writes
On 26/09/2014 20:10, Jabba wrote:

Have you got a powered USB for it?

Several 2 Amp ones. Do they use a lot of current?

Another Dave

And why do some of the ones with longer cables seem to say they will
have less functionality?
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/09/2014 20:40, Another Dave wrote:
On 26/09/2014 20:10, Jabba wrote:
Another Dave wrote

I'm pretty sure one of my chimneys doesn't have a liner. I thought I
could check using one of these USB endoscope thingies:

http://tinyurl.com/q858a6r

However, they all seem to have floppy cables and I want to be able to
shove it up the chimney.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Another Dave

Have you got a powered USB for it?

Several 2 Amp ones. Do they use a lot of current?

Not IME, my 7m one is happy to run from a crappy laptop.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/09/14 19:51, Another Dave wrote:
I'm pretty sure one of my chimneys doesn't have a liner. I thought I
could check using one of these USB endoscope thingies:

http://tinyurl.com/q858a6r

However, they all seem to have floppy cables and I want to be able to
shove it up the chimney.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Another Dave

Tape it to the end of something stiffer. Plastic pipe (conduit) works
quite well. Or a chinmey/drain rod set.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Another Dave" wrote in message
I'm pretty sure one of my chimneys doesn't have a liner. I thought I could
check using one of these USB endoscope thingies:

http://tinyurl.com/q858a6r

However, they all seem to have floppy cables and I want to be able to
shove it up the chimney.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

All you need is a torch.
Best to sweep the chimney first.