Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ennybody use the new endoscopes?

I saw several endoscope type devices at the Borg the other day. I have to
admit, there's been many a time when being able to see around a corner, or
inside a wall would have been a big help.

Ennybody have one? Likes? Dislikes?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 5, 8:42*pm, "SteveB" wrote:
I saw several endoscope type devices at the Borg the other day. *I have to
admit, there's been many a time when being able to see around a corner, or
inside a wall would have been a big help.

Ennybody have one? *Likes? *Dislikes?

I picked up the Ridgid SeeSnake Micro about half a year ago. It paid
for itself on the first job.

I had to trace out a leak that showed up under a recently renovated
bathroom. I pulled out the bad ceiling drywall and saw that the leak
was running down a pipe that ran down an exterior wall. Maybe a
frozen pipe over the winter...?

The SeeSnake allowed me to follow the pipe up inside the wall and I
found the exact location of the leak. It was in a the best possible
location for a bad location leak, so I was lucky. The only other
alternative would have been to start tearing into that nice tile wall.

Since then I have used it for a lot of different things, and for a
fairly inexpensive tool, it's not half bad. The LCD screen could be a
little bigger and a little brighter, but it does the job. I compared
it to the Milwaukee unit and I decided to get the less expensive
Ridgid with the more flexible cable. I figured if I didn't like it I
could always return it and get the Milwaukee.

The Ridgid takes 3' extensions, and you can use a bunch of them, but
they're not cheap and I have no experience with them.