Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Modern car lights: reasoning?

"Dennis@home" wrote:
On 20/09/2014 18:47, "Nightjar \"cpb\""@ insert my surname here wrote:

The brake lights are there to do a job, which is to try to protect me
from being hit from the rear when stopped. So long as they are needed to
do that job, they will stay on, whether you like that or not. If I am
satisfied they have done their job, I will put the car in Park and the
brake lights go out.

They are there to tell others you are braking, the ordinary lights are
there to stop others running into you.

If only they could give them a special name, maybe something like "brake
lights", people might better understand their purpose. ;-)

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message

rnal-september.org, Tim+ writes
"Dennis@home" wrote:
On 20/09/2014 18:47, "Nightjar \"cpb\""@ insert my surname here wrote:

The brake lights are there to do a job, which is to try to protect me
from being hit from the rear when stopped. So long as they are needed to
do that job, they will stay on, whether you like that or not. If I am
satisfied they have done their job, I will put the car in Park and the
brake lights go out.

They are there to tell others you are braking, the ordinary lights are
there to stop others running into you.

If only they could give them a special name, maybe something like "brake
lights", people might better understand their purpose. ;-)

Are they "brake lights" ("Look at me - sitting stationary with my foot
on the footbrake") or "braking lights" ("Take care - I'm slowing down")?

--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 21 Sep 2014 08:23:44 +0100, Ian Jackson
wrote:

The brake lights are there to do a job, which is to try to protect me
from being hit from the rear when stopped. So long as they are needed to
do that job, they will stay on, whether you like that or not. If I am
satisfied they have done their job, I will put the car in Park and the
brake lights go out.

They are there to tell others you are braking, the ordinary lights are
there to stop others running into you.

If only they could give them a special name, maybe something like "brake
lights", people might better understand their purpose. ;-)

Are they "brake lights" ("Look at me - sitting stationary with my foot
on the footbrake") or "braking lights" ("Take care - I'm slowing down")?

Brake lights is a relatively recent term isn't it ?
Stop lamps was the name used for years so that raises the question
should that be correct when you are stopped or is to warn that you may
be soon.

G.Harman