Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - Digital camera and a Currys warranty

I wonder if any of the group could tell me if they have ever purchased one
of the Currys warranty schemes that promise the earth if something goes
wrong and how did they fare when they needed to use it - and is it really
worth nearly £200 for five years of cover?

Now the reason for asking.

I have recently bought a Canon 700D Digital Camera from the for a fair
amount of cash to replace my old Canon 35mm film one which is covered by a
two year manufacturers warranty (I am well versed on SoGA BTW) and refused
the offer to buy a Currys warranty at the time of purchase (my usual
reaction) and that was the end of it - or so I thought.

Now a couple of days ago, I received a nice letter and leaflet trying to
persuade me to go against my instincts and buy the thing - and the problem
is that having used the camera for a few weeks, and realising the complexity
of it and any repairs to the electronics - I am now in two minds to actually
by the warranty.

The camera cost around £550, and replaced a Canon 35mm SLR so that I could
be 'dragged into modern times' [1] - and I must admit, the facility to
delete unwanted photo's, take photo's in the RAW format AND film HD video
(and a few other nice tricks) is proving to be very useful for an old-timer.

[1] The words of No 1 son who thinks that I am an old dinosaur - cheeky
sod!

Many thanks

Cash