Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Toolstation

Looks like Toolstation is trying to lose the small customers. Only
selling Fluorescent tubes in 10s and lots of plumbing fittings in 25s.
Bit shortsighted IMO as many tradesmen don't have the storage for vast
quantities of stock. By the way, their low cost shower pull switch is
rubbish, the mechanism jams even after I've removed the burrs and
lubricated it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Capitol wrote:

Looks like Toolstation is trying to lose the small customers. Only
selling Fluorescent tubes in 10s and lots of plumbing fittings in 25s.

Then again TS and SF only list copper tube in bundles of 10, but they're
happy to split a pack if asked (ok you pay a premium).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/09/2014 16:42, Andy Burns wrote:
Capitol wrote:

Looks like Toolstation is trying to lose the small customers. Only
selling Fluorescent tubes in 10s and lots of plumbing fittings in 25s.

Then again TS and SF only list copper tube in bundles of 10, but they're
happy to split a pack if asked (ok you pay a premium).

I think SF actually advertise the fact that you can buy a single length
of pipe in branch. It's just if you have it delivered that you have to
buy a bundle.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/09/2014 16:27, Capitol wrote:
Looks like Toolstation is trying to lose the small customers. Only
selling Fluorescent tubes in 10s and lots of plumbing fittings in 25s.
Bit shortsighted IMO as many tradesmen don't have the storage for vast
quantities of stock. By the way, their low cost shower pull switch is
rubbish, the mechanism jams even after I've removed the burrs and
lubricated it.

From what I've seen in Toolstatan trade outlets many tradesmen don't
buy _anything_ in bulk.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Capitol
writes
Looks like Toolstation is trying to lose the small customers. Only
selling Fluorescent tubes in 10s and lots of plumbing fittings in 25s.
Bit shortsighted IMO as many tradesmen don't have the storage for vast
quantities of stock. By the way, their low cost shower pull switch is
rubbish, the mechanism jams even after I've removed the burrs and
lubricated it.

Toolstation is Buyer driven, always looking to drive down costs. The
result is that you do have to watch the quality, sometimes it's ok and
other times it is the worst possible ****.

When I pointed out to them that the allegedly CW1108 telephone cable
they were selling was actually CCS (Copper Coated Steel), not the pure
copper that the spec requires, they stopped selling copper telephone
cable altogether and now only sell CCS or CCA (Copper Coated Aluminium).

Looks like the cost of scrapping what I suspect was a large quantity of
mis-ordered CCS was too much for them to admit/bear.[1]

[1] Ok it's an old story but I can't resist re-telling it . . . .

--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Capitol writes:
Looks like Toolstation is trying to lose the small customers. Only
selling Fluorescent tubes in 10s and lots of plumbing fittings in 25s.
Bit shortsighted IMO as many tradesmen don't have the storage for vast
quantities of stock. By the way, their low cost shower pull switch is
rubbish, the mechanism jams even after I've removed the burrs and
lubricated it.

You never want a low cost shower switch - it's one electrical
accessory which really needs to be high quality, and very
well connected up.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In articleOKednfDloouy_4nJnZ2dnUVZ8j2dnZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk,
writes:
Looks like Toolstation is trying to lose the small customers. Only
selling Fluorescent tubes in 10s and lots of plumbing fittings in 25s.
Bit shortsighted IMO as many tradesmen don't have the storage for vast
quantities of stock. By the way, their low cost shower pull switch is
rubbish, the mechanism jams even after I've removed the burrs and
lubricated it.

You never want a low cost shower switch - it's one electrical
accessory which really needs to be high quality, and very
well connected up.

It's not been used for a shower, purely to switch a 3KVA 110V
transformer on. I needed the mechanism not the carrying current rating.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Sep 2014 17:56:36 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
Capitol writes:
Looks like Toolstation is trying to lose the small customers. Only
selling Fluorescent tubes in 10s and lots of plumbing fittings in 25s.
Bit shortsighted IMO as many tradesmen don't have the storage for vast
quantities of stock. By the way, their low cost shower pull switch is
rubbish, the mechanism jams even after I've removed the burrs and
lubricated it.

You never want a low cost shower switch - it's one electrical
accessory which really needs to be high quality, and very
well connected up.

The MK one on SF has had poor reviews recently.
I have 2 (one fitted next door) that are several years old and, so far,
they've been OK.
Seems that even 'good' makes are in free fall.
Was there a mention some time ago about MK making crappier stuff to meet the
prices of the sheds?
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Capitol writes:
Looks like Toolstation is trying to lose the small customers. Only
selling Fluorescent tubes in 10s and lots of plumbing fittings in 25s.
Bit shortsighted IMO as many tradesmen don't have the storage for vast
quantities of stock. By the way, their low cost shower pull switch is
rubbish, the mechanism jams even after I've removed the burrs and
lubricated it.

You never want a low cost shower switch - it's one electrical accessory
which really needs to be high quality, and very well connected up.

The MK one on SF has had poor reviews recently.
I have 2 (one fitted next door) that are several years old and, so far,
they've been OK.
Seems that even 'good' makes are in free fall.
Was there a mention some time ago about MK making crappier stuff to meet
the prices of the sheds?

There was indeed; B&Q, specifically. I was just going to mention that!

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Capitol writes:
[...]

Right - couldn't possibly be a coincidence, could it ;-)
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitol View Post
Looks like Toolstation is trying to lose the small customers. Only
selling Fluorescent tubes in 10s and lots of plumbing fittings in 25s.
Bit shortsighted IMO as many tradesmen don't have the storage for vast
quantities of stock. By the way, their low cost shower pull switch is
rubbish, the mechanism jams even after I've removed the burrs and
lubricated it.
Actually, Toolstation do sell fluorescent bulbs and copper pipe in singles. These are only available to purchase in store and therefore are not listed online. They are however on the very back page of EVERY catalogue.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

/ Liz1981

-show quotedtext -Actually, Toolstation do sell fluorescent bulbs and copper pipe in singles. These are only available to purchase in store and therefore are not listed online. They are however on the very back page of EVERY catalogue./q

Thanks "Liz", noted.

Which branch do you work at then? ;-)

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 20 September 2014 09:16:35 UTC+1, JimK wrote:
/ Liz1981

-show quotedtext -Actually, Toolstation do sell fluorescent bulbs and copper pipe in singles. These are only available to purchase in store and therefore are not listed online. They are however on the very back page of EVERY catalogue./q

Thanks "Liz", noted.

Which branch do you work at then? ;-)

Jim K

mmm I just picked up a toolstation catalogue lying about and I don;t see them on the very (or nearly) last page at all....???

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , JimK
writes
On Saturday, 20 September 2014 09:16:35 UTC+1, JimK wrote:
/ Liz1981

-show quotedtext -Actually, Toolstation do sell fluorescent bulbs and
copper pipe in singles. These are only available to purchase in store
and therefore are not listed online. They are however on the very back
page of EVERY catalogue./q

Thanks "Liz", noted.

Which branch do you work at then? ;-)

Jim K

mmm I just picked up a toolstation catalogue lying about and I don;t
see them on the very (or nearly) last page at all....???

I think in the paper catalogue it says something like 'available as
single instore' on the relvant pages.

However on the big instore catalogues they do IIRC have them listed
separately at the front, at least they did with pipework

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Liz1981 wrote:
Capitol;3283193 Wrote:
Looks like Toolstation is trying to lose the small customers. Only
selling Fluorescent tubes in 10s and lots of plumbing fittings in 25s.
Bit shortsighted IMO as many tradesmen don't have the storage for vast
quantities of stock. By the way, their low cost shower pull switch is
rubbish, the mechanism jams even after I've removed the burrs and
lubricated it.

Actually, Toolstation do sell fluorescent bulbs and copper pipe in
singles. These are only available to purchase in store and therefore are
not listed online. They are however on the very back page of EVERY
catalogue.

Thanks for the correction. However, they should be on the website with
a comment as available in store. The catalogue print is so small that
most people can't read it without a magnifying glass and use the website
instead. Also, the air hoses are a mixture of 1/4 bsp and 1/2 bsp.
Connecting them up is a nightmare as a 1/2bsp female to 1/4 bsp
male/female connector is not listed. I've just had to buy 1/2bsp taps
to cut new threads into the connectors.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, September 13, 2014 4:27:00 PM UTC+1, Capitol wrote:
Looks like Toolstation is trying to lose the small customers. Only
selling Fluorescent tubes in 10s and lots of plumbing fittings in 25s.
Bit shortsighted IMO as many tradesmen don't have the storage for vast
quantities of stock. By the way, their low cost shower pull switch is
rubbish, the mechanism jams even after I've removed the burrs and
lubricated it.

Bought their white unbranded sockets the other day, but quality not acceptable. Plug pin holes so stiff a good wacking was needed just to get one in. I do wish they'd stop selling stuff so bad its unusable, in other respects they're one of the better suppliers.

NT

Toolstation - well done Rick Hughes[_5_] UK diy 14 February 5th 14 09:21 AM
Toolstation taken over PeterC UK diy 14 January 7th 12 06:55 PM
Contacting Toolstation Roger Mills[_2_] UK diy 10 February 16th 11 03:07 PM
Toolstation The Medway Handyman UK diy 6 March 15th 06 09:13 PM
TRV from Toolstation Mike UK diy 2 April 22nd 05 07:33 PM