Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Moldy Silicone Sealer

Will soon be having to redo the silicone bead around the bottom of the shower again. Does anyone know a brand that doesn't go moldy, at least for a good few years?

Philip
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

Will soon be having to redo the silicone bead around the bottom of the
shower again. Does anyone know a brand that doesn't go moldy, at least for
a good few years?

Use black silicone, anything else you use will end up partially black
anyway, even the 'guaranteed everwhite super duper neverstain' varieties are
as black as a bin liner in months.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/2014 21:21, wrote:

Will soon be having to redo the silicone bead around the bottom of the shower again. Does anyone know a brand that doesn't go moldy, at least for a good few years?

Philip

Hi Philip

If you go ahead with silicone, recommend you use Dow Corning 785

http://www.screwfix.com/p/dow-cornin...ails_container

This was recommended to me via a "proper" (i. e. traditional) plumber.
It was used on a bathroom 10 years ago (with heavy teenage use since)
and has only a couple of spots of mildew in the dampest corner. The
bath has a shower over, so pretty hostile environment.

You'll see from the price tag it's probably one of the most expensive,
but this is definitely a case of getting what you pay for.

Do you have a decent extractor fan? Lack of ventilation will exacerbate
the problem.

Phil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills used his keyboard to write :
On 17/08/2014 23:41, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
brought next idea :
Will soon be having to redo the silicone bead around the bottom of the
shower again. Does anyone know a brand that doesn't go moldy, at least
for a good few years?

Philip

You can get a 3M roll of plastic strip, which is hinged along its length
and has a strip of thick goo along each side of the hinge. It works well
along the horizontal edge of baths, to seal against the vertical tiles
of the wall. That doesn't go black, but does discolour slightly after
years of use due to UV.

You just make sure the area is spotlessly clean, then use a small roller
to press it into place, to get enough pressure on the goo to get it to
fully seal.

That may be ok if you tile the wall first and then fit the bath against the
tiles.

But the *proper* way to do it is to fit the bath first and then tile down to
it - so that there are no tiles between bath and wall. There is then no room
for plastic strip - just a bead of silicone sealant.

I think you misunderstood...

The strip folds down the centre to form something akin to an angle
iron. It then sticks to both the vertical face of the tiles and the
horizontal edge of the bath. Whether the tiles are fitted to below the
edge of the bath, or stop just level with the top of the bath makes no
difference.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/08/2014 09:56, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

Fair enough - but it's totally superfluous if the tiles are fitted to
the bath - and defeats the object of the exercise!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/08/2014 09:56, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I think you misunderstood...

The strip folds down the centre to form something akin to an angle iron.
It then sticks to both the vertical face of the tiles and the horizontal
edge of the bath. Whether the tiles are fitted to below the edge of the
bath, or stop just level with the top of the bath makes no difference.

This sounds like the perfect thing to botch a problem I have - until I
redo the entire bathroom. The tiles are on wood, and have lifted leaving
a quarter inch or so gap. Except - it would have to go over an outside
corner. Would it? And what's it called, and where can I get it?

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Whilst on the subject, the sealant around my bath needs replacing but what is the best way tp remove the old stuff. Preferably not an angle grinder.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

On Monday, 18 August 2014 11:55:35 UTC+1, Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

I still think you are misunderstanding somehow. Like Harry I have used this
product and find it works pretty well.

It acts as an 'alternative corner' where water gathers, instead of the
corner where the bath joins the tiles (however this occurs).

Due to the silicone nature of the strip, very little water gather in the
corner it creates. And what does, does not go mouldy.

It is not a perfect solution (not the neatest, for a start) but pragmatically
it is the only one I would fit again to a bathroom prone to mould.

something like this:

http://www.diy.com/nav/decor/tiles/a...?skuId=9262010

which has interestingly-poor reviews. Either the product has got worse recently
or I am better at applying it than most...

HTH
Jon N

This prevents
the water going mouldy in that area, as it usually does IME.
2) Somehow

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/08/2014 22:53, Trevor Smith wrote:
Whilst on the subject, the sealant around my bath needs replacing but what is the best way tp remove the old stuff. Preferably not an angle grinder.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...al_and_Cleanup

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for the link. Have to be very careful, plastic bath.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Do you have a decent extractor fan? Lack of ventilation will exacerbate

the problem.

Phil

This is exactly what the problem is with all showers that suffer mould - lack of ventilation to remove the moist air and allow natural drying. And I suspect this is compounded by users closing the shower door after use and trapping even more moisture inside the cubicle.

I've always disliked showering in a cubicle, and at the earliest opportunity (over 40 years ago) built my shower in what is now called a 'wet room'. That shower never had mould as far as I can remember and the current one, now 20+ yrs. old, doesn't have any either. There's a good extractor and background heating in a 2 x 1.5m shower/toilet.
Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

Will soon be having to redo the silicone bead around the bottom of the
shower again. Does anyone know a brand that doesn't go moldy, at least for
a good few years?

Philip

http://www.everbuild.co.uk/foreverwhite

I used this around the bath 3 years ago and it is still brilliant white. The
shower is over the bath and it is used every day.
I tried and seemed to have done it correctly. ALL the old stuff was out and
the area was spotless and 100% dry. I used meths to clean the area.
I did NOT use the finger in mouth method, I used the Fugi tool as
recommended by that southern Handyman geezer that sometimes posts here.
There is a train of thought that sticking finger in gob introduces bacteria
into the sealant.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, August 17, 2014 9:21:51 PM UTC+1, wrote:

Will soon be having to redo the silicone bead around the bottom of the shower again. Does anyone know a brand that doesn't go moldy, at least for a good few years?

Philip

They all do. Just fixed another bathroom's black mouldy silicone by applying bleach repeatedly. Its slow but trivially easy, and it really does come up like new, albeit rather slowly. Apply thick bleach or toilet paper and thin bleach each night. In 4 days it'll be good.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

This stuff is simply amazing;