Dale

Default Silicone sealer removal

I just put silicone sealer around a new toilet. The sealer is on a wood
floor. What's the best way to remove the thin film of sealant off the floor
without damaging the floor? Thanks so much.

Dale

Doug Miller

In article , Dale wrote:
I just put silicone sealer around a new toilet. The sealer is on a wood
floor. What's the best way to remove the thin film of sealant off the floor
without damaging the floor? Thanks so much.

If it's still sticky, paint thinner works. If it isn't sticky, wait overnight,
then see how much you can peel up with your fingernails.
Rus

Dale wrote in
:

I just put silicone sealer around a new toilet. The sealer is on a wood
floor. What's the best way to remove the thin film of sealant off the floor
without damaging the floor? Thanks so much.

Dale

I did the same, but, the floor is ceramic tile. I use guitar strings to cut
the seal when it's time to remove the toilet.

Determine a suitable length. Trim the string to that length. Twist a loop
into each end and put a stick in each loop to make handles. Use the newly
constructed device as you would use a saw. Cut through the silicone to
release the toilet.

Works for me.

(This is much the same method you would use to cut the sealer around a
windshield. There are tools like this sold, but, guitar strings only cost
about $5 a set.)

//rus//

silicone residue removal [email protected] Home Repair 2 May 13th 05 07:27 PM
stuck windows - looking for non-smelly silicone lube Veggie Home Repair 11 August 31st 04 11:09 PM
stuck windows - looking for non-smelly silicone lube Veggie Home Ownership 9 August 31st 04 11:09 PM
Silicone sealant Graeme UK diy 4 June 11th 04 01:56 PM
Mildew resistant silicone ... Not! Veggie Home Ownership 3 February 22nd 04 03:19 AM