Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Silicon Sealant Remover

I recently had my bathroom decorated and a new vinyl floor covering.
The decorator added some white silicon (Dow Corning - I saw the
container he used) around the toilet base.
My wife does not like it and wants me to remove it.
I have seen Unibond Silicon Sealnt Remover - and have also seen that
WD40 can be used. Any suggestions, views, or comments please.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim Hall wrote:
I recently had my bathroom decorated and a new vinyl floor covering.
The decorator added some white silicon (Dow Corning - I saw the
container he used) around the toilet base.
My wife does not like it and wants me to remove it.
I have seen Unibond Silicon Sealnt Remover - and have also seen that
WD40 can be used. Any suggestions, views, or comments please.

Was the toilet removed to fit the vinyl? If not, the silicone may be also
providing a neat junction between the two. Might look scruffy without it.

--
*I love cats...they taste just like chicken.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim Hall wrote:

I recently had my bathroom decorated and a new vinyl floor covering.
The decorator added some white silicon (Dow Corning - I saw the
container he used) around the toilet base.
My wife does not like it and wants me to remove it.
I have seen Unibond Silicon Sealnt Remover - and have also seen that
WD40 can be used. Any suggestions, views, or comments please.

You might try something like this
http://www.polycell.co.uk/product/po...FfMZtAodJgwAUw
although it might turn out to be just paint stripper.

I wouldn't leave the toilet base unsealed, though. Think of the dried
**** that will accumulate over the years.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
Jim Hall wrote:

I recently had my bathroom decorated and a new vinyl floor covering.
The decorator added some white silicon (Dow Corning - I saw the
container he used) around the toilet base.
My wife does not like it and wants me to remove it.
I have seen Unibond Silicon Sealnt Remover - and have also seen that
WD40 can be used. Any suggestions, views, or comments please.

You might try something like this
http://www.polycell.co.uk/product/po...FfMZtAodJgwAUw

although it might turn out to be just paint stripper.

I wouldn't leave the toilet base unsealed, though. Think of the dried
**** that will accumulate over the years.

By the way, something that softens up silicone could well do the same to
your vinyl floor.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 16 Aug 2014 11:32:25 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Does your wife like leaks and rotting stuff, and nasty little insects behind
her basin, then?
Brian

I suppose every group has a smart-arse. I am going to use some
translucent sealant - which does not invalidate my original question.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/08/2014 11:11, Jim Hall wrote:

I recently had my bathroom decorated and a new vinyl floor covering.
The decorator added some white silicon (Dow Corning - I saw the
container he used) around the toilet base.
My wife does not like it and wants me to remove it.
I have seen Unibond Silicon Sealnt Remover - and have also seen that
WD40 can be used. Any suggestions, views, or comments please.

As others have asked, are you *really* sure that you want to remove it?
It may be fulfilling a vital role.

It's pretty difficult stuff to remove anyway. You can get silicone
removers which dissolve the residue after you have removed most of it
mechanically. It's not too bad on hard surfaces, but with things like
vinyl floors, you're quite likely to damage the flooring when you cut
into the silicone.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Aug 2014, Jim Hall grunted:

wrote:

Does your wife like leaks and rotting stuff, and nasty little insects
behind her basin, then?

I suppose every group has a smart-arse. I am going to use some
translucent sealant - which does not invalidate my original question.

I'm not sure whether the silicone remover might not also damage the vinyl
floor?

Notwithstanding that possibility, personally I don't rate the remover at
all to be honest. I think you'll struggle to get the old stuff completely
off, and it will look a right dog's breakfast.

As someone else said, it's also likely that the floor will have been laid
up to, and not under, the pedestal; so the white silicone may well be
hiding a gap left by the installer which will be visible below clear
silicone (along with residual remains of the old white stuff).

I'd leave well alone IIWY.

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 16 Aug 2014 11:51:58 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Jim Hall wrote:
I recently had my bathroom decorated and a new vinyl floor covering.
The decorator added some white silicon (Dow Corning - I saw the
container he used) around the toilet base.
My wife does not like it and wants me to remove it.
I have seen Unibond Silicon Sealnt Remover - and have also seen that
WD40 can be used. Any suggestions, views, or comments please.

Was the toilet removed to fit the vinyl? If not, the silicone may be also
providing a neat junction between the two. Might look scruffy without it.

The vinyl was laid after the toilt. I am going to remove the white
and replace with translucent. An excellent job had been made by the
vinyl fillter and it looked really neat. My wife thinks it looks
worse with the white - hence the need to remove it. I am aware of the
benefits of having a decent seal of some sort and will replace with
translucent.
Any experience of removing filler?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 16 Aug 2014 12:09:37 +0100, Etaoin Shrdlu
wrote:

Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
Jim Hall wrote:

I recently had my bathroom decorated and a new vinyl floor covering.
The decorator added some white silicon (Dow Corning - I saw the
container he used) around the toilet base.
My wife does not like it and wants me to remove it.
I have seen Unibond Silicon Sealnt Remover - and have also seen that
WD40 can be used. Any suggestions, views, or comments please.

You might try something like this
http://www.polycell.co.uk/product/po...FfMZtAodJgwAUw

although it might turn out to be just paint stripper.

I wouldn't leave the toilet base unsealed, though. Think of the dried
**** that will accumulate over the years.

By the way, something that softens up silicone could well do the same to
your vinyl floor.

Yes - thanks - I will try whatever I decide to use on a piece of
spare vinyl.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd leave well alone IIWY.

You don't know his wife
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim Hall wrote:
I recently had my bathroom decorated and a new vinyl floor covering.
The decorator added some white silicon (Dow Corning - I saw the
container he used) around the toilet base.
My wife does not like it and wants me to remove it.
I have seen Unibond Silicon Sealnt Remover - and have also seen that
WD40 can be used. Any suggestions, views, or comments please.

I've used Unibond silicone remover on a vinyl floor and it was fine.
Removed silicone and left floor un damaged.

Wear gloves or avoid getting too much on your skin or be prepared for some
skin peeling after a few days.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/08/14 13:51, Jim Hall wrote:
On Sat, 16 Aug 2014 11:51:58 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Jim Hall wrote:
[...]

A very common DIY task done by most is removing and replacing sealant
around baths and showers - it's long winded and messy and most will have
to be removed by mechanical means, knives, scrapers (but never the angle
grinder though tempting) in preference to very slow chemical methods.
Silicone doesn't like sticking to old Silicone, so you will have to go
about it quite thoroughly, and make sure the new stuff is as good and
mould resistant as the original. The uk.d-i-y FAQ has an article on
this, the drinking beer thing at the end is heartily recommended. The
job I find is a curse...

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Silicone

Can't you cover it up with something?

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Does your wife like leaks and rotting stuff, and nasty little insects
behind her basin, then?

I suppose every group has a smart-arse. I am going to use some
translucent sealant - which does not invalidate my original question.

I'm not sure whether the silicone remover might not also damage the vinyl
floor?

Yes I was/.am wary of that. Tim has said he has used on vinyl and it
was OK. I will try a test on some spare vinyl.
Cheers for comments.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 16 Aug 2014 11:51:58 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Jim Hall wrote:
I recently had my bathroom decorated and a new vinyl floor covering.
The decorator added some white silicon (Dow Corning - I saw the
container he used) around the toilet base.
My wife does not like it and wants me to remove it.
I have seen Unibond Silicon Sealnt Remover - and have also seen that
WD40 can be used. Any suggestions, views, or comments please.

Was the toilet removed to fit the vinyl? If not, the silicone may be also
providing a neat junction between the two. Might look scruffy without it.

No - I don't think it was even eased up. The floring fitter did do an
exellent job - also the decorator. I reaslies that it needs a seal
of some sort: it it just that my wife does not like the white!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 16 Aug 2014 14:31:37 +0100, Adrian C
wrote:

On 16/08/14 13:51, Jim Hall wrote:
On Sat, 16 Aug 2014 11:51:58 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Jim Hall wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the link.

No - it *must* come out !!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 16 Aug 2014 12:08:33 +0100, Etaoin Shrdlu
wrote:

Jim Hall wrote:

I recently had my bathroom decorated and a new vinyl floor covering.
The decorator added some white silicon (Dow Corning - I saw the
container he used) around the toilet base.
My wife does not like it and wants me to remove it.
I have seen Unibond Silicon Sealnt Remover - and have also seen that
WD40 can be used. Any suggestions, views, or comments please.

You might try something like this
http://www.polycell.co.uk/product/po...FfMZtAodJgwAUw
although it might turn out to be just paint stripper.

I wouldn't leave the toilet base unsealed, though. Think of the dried
**** that will accumulate over the years.

Thanks - that is the sort of stuff I was thinking of. I agree - it
does need something around the bog.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 16 Aug 2014 12:15:22 +0100, Roger Mills
wrote:

On 16/08/2014 11:11, Jim Hall wrote:

I recently had my bathroom decorated and a new vinyl floor covering.
The decorator added some white silicon (Dow Corning - I saw the
container he used) around the toilet base.
My wife does not like it and wants me to remove it.
I have seen Unibond Silicon Sealnt Remover - and have also seen that
WD40 can be used. Any suggestions, views, or comments please.

As others have asked, are you *really* sure that you want to remove it?
It may be fulfilling a vital role.

It's pretty difficult stuff to remove anyway. You can get silicone
removers which dissolve the residue after you have removed most of it
mechanically. It's not too bad on hard surfaces, but with things like
vinyl floors, you're quite likely to damage the flooring when you cut
into the silicone.

Thanks for comments: Yes - it *must* be removed/replaced !! I shall
do a dummy run (or at the back of the bog) using Etaoin's suggestion
which I was already thinking of - I was hoping that someone had
experience of it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 16 Aug 2014 14:30:27 +0100, Tim+
wrote:

Jim Hall wrote:
I recently had my bathroom decorated and a new vinyl floor covering.
The decorator added some white silicon (Dow Corning - I saw the
container he used) around the toilet base.
My wife does not like it and wants me to remove it.
I have seen Unibond Silicon Sealnt Remover - and have also seen that
WD40 can be used. Any suggestions, views, or comments please.

I've used Unibond silicone remover on a vinyl floor and it was fine.
Removed silicone and left floor un damaged.

Wear gloves or avoid getting too much on your skin or be prepared for some
skin peeling after a few days.

Tim

That is perfect Tim - I would rather use something based on another's
experience. I will do a test on the back of the bog to make sure it
is OK.

Good stuff - thanks.

(I like the way you do get sensible suggestions on the group - as 99%
of the responses have been)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Jim Hall
scribeth thus
wrote:

Jim Hall wrote:
[...]

Its Usenet Jim, but not as you might want it to be;!.

Posters should have realised that if SWMBO doesn't like then its very
simple .. she just does not like.

End off;!...

Apart from that Silicone is a real PITA to remove. I've tried a few
removers and none of them seem to make it any easier just careful
application of a scraper, scalpel and make sure the fuse in the Angle
Grinder is removed and is thrown away the temptation is too much;!...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
wrote:

Jim Hall wrote:
I recently had my bathroom decorated and a new vinyl floor covering.
The decorator added some white silicon (Dow Corning - I saw the
container he used) around the toilet base.
My wife does not like it and wants me to remove it.
I have seen Unibond Silicon Sealnt Remover - and have also seen that
WD40 can be used. Any suggestions, views, or comments please.

put a **** bib down, any colour she likes then

**** bib = those bog mats that go around the base of the bog to catch the
dribbles and miss-spray from the bog users... then holds on to the **** so
it stinks the place out for weeks untill it's time to wash it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:
In article , Jim Hall
scribeth thus
wrote:

Jim Hall wrote:
[...]

Well it may well not come all off with one application but it definitely
does work and makes the job a lot easier.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?..._and_Clean up

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim Hall wrote:

(I like the way you do get sensible suggestions on the group - as 99%
of the responses have been)

I say! To be fair Jim, I think you're probably referring to Brian's
comment at the start, to which you responded thus:

But your original message only said:

I recently had my bathroom decorated and a new vinyl floor covering.
The decorator added some white silicon ... ...around the toilet base.
My wife does not like it and wants me to remove it.

No mention of replacing it.
Whilst it's obvious to most of us that you'd never remove silicone
without replacing it, (including you, as evidenced later), we sometimes
see extremely naive questions or suggestions, and I guess Brian thought
that this was one of those -- I did myself, on reading your first
message, and wondered why you'd want to just remove it.

Cheers
J.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Jim Hall wrote:

I recently had my bathroom decorated and a new vinyl floor covering.
The decorator added some white silicon (Dow Corning - I saw the
container he used) around the toilet base.
My wife does not like it and wants me to remove it.
I have seen Unibond Silicon Sealnt Remover - and have also seen that
WD40 can be used. Any suggestions, views, or comments please.

You might try something like this
http://www.polycell.co.uk/product/po...FfMZtAodJgwAUw
although it might turn out to be just paint stripper.

I wouldn't leave the toilet base unsealed, though. Think of the dried
**** that will accumulate over the years.

Thanks - that is the sort of stuff I was thinking of. I agree - it
does need something around the bog.

The removers are only designed to clean off traces of old sealant - you
still need mechanical means to get rid of the bulk of it.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 Aug 2014 15:25:43 +0100, Another John
wrote:

In article ,
Jim Hall wrote:

(I like the way you do get sensible suggestions on the group - as 99%
of the responses have been)

I say! To be fair Jim, I think you're probably referring to Brian's
comment at the start, to which you responded thus:

Does your wife like leaks and rotting stuff, and nasty little insects behind
her basin, then?

I suppose every group has a smart-arse. I am going to use some
translucent sealant - which does not invalidate my original question.

But your original message only said:

I recently had my bathroom decorated and a new vinyl floor covering.
The decorator added some white silicon ... ...around the toilet base.
My wife does not like it and wants me to remove it.

No mention of replacing it.

Because it was not at all relevant to my question about removing the
current stuff.

Some people did in fact raise the fact in, a sensible fashion, that it
should be replaced - I have no problem with that. However, I take
exceptions to smart-arses jumping to incorrect conclusions. As I said
99% of the replies were the sort of replies which I hoped for and
which I found were very reasonable and informative - and many thanks
to the people who made them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/2014 16:57, Jim Hall wrote:
On Sun, 17 Aug 2014 15:25:43 +0100, Another
wrote:

In ,
Jim wrote:

[...]

No - Brian Gaff is not a smart-arse - he's a long-standing and valued
member of this group. He does make the occasional "throw-away" remark to
which some people may take exception - but then, don't we all?!

If you'd read enough of Brian's posts, you'd know that he suffers from
acute sight problems and often struggles to use usenet - being totally
unable to see pictures - which his text to voice device can't
understand. I, for one, have great respect for the fact that he still
continues to contribute.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

+1

/No - Brian Gaff is not a smart-arse - he's a long-standing and valued
member of this group. He does make the occasional "throw-away" remark to
which some people may take exception - but then, don't we all?!

If you'd read enough of Brian's posts, you'd know that he suffers from
acute sight problems and often struggles to use usenet - being totally
unable to see pictures - which his text to voice device can't
understand. I, for one, have great respect for the fact that he still
continues to contribute. /q

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Jim Hall wrote:
I recently had my bathroom decorated and a new vinyl floor covering.
The decorator added some white silicon (Dow Corning - I saw the
container he used) around the toilet base.
My wife does not like it and wants me to remove it.
I have seen Unibond Silicon Sealnt Remover - and have also seen that
WD40 can be used. Any suggestions, views, or comments please.

I've used Unibond silicone remover on a vinyl floor and it was fine.
Removed silicone and left floor un damaged.

Wear gloves or avoid getting too much on your skin or be prepared for some
skin peeling after a few days.

Tim

Great Tim - many thanks.

I bought a tube (not that which requires a gun) - tested it on a
hidden section and it was fine.

Removed all the sealant (using the Unibond removal tool) - absolutely
perfect.

Thanks for advice.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim Hall wrote:
On Sun, 17 Aug 2014 15:25:43 +0100, Another John
wrote:

In article ,
Jim Hall wrote:

(I like the way you do get sensible suggestions on the group - as 99%
of the responses have been)

I say! To be fair Jim, I think you're probably referring to Brian's
comment at the start, to which you responded thus:

Does your wife like leaks and rotting stuff, and nasty little insects behind
her basin, then?

I suppose every group has a smart-arse. I am going to use some
translucent sealant - which does not invalidate my original question.

But your original message only said:

I recently had my bathroom decorated and a new vinyl floor covering.
The decorator added some white silicon ... ...around the toilet base.
My wife does not like it and wants me to remove it.

No mention of replacing it.

Because it was not at all relevant to my question about removing the
current stuff.

Brian's a good bloke. I think you just misunderstood each other.

Some people did in fact raise the fact in, a sensible fashion, that it
should be replaced - I have no problem with that. However, I take
exceptions to smart-arses jumping to incorrect conclusions. As I said
99% of the replies were the sort of replies which I hoped for and
which I found were very reasonable and informative - and many thanks
to the people who made them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
JTM JTM is offline

In article
, Etaoin
Shrdlu wrote:

Brian's a good bloke. I think you just misunderstood each
other.

Puts me in mind of a supervisor at work who was one very
popular, kind guy - both before and after his promotions
(and in retirement) but whenever he wrote a memo his use of
written words were always harsher than the thought. (and
paper memos were never intended to have smileys)

John

--
John Mulrooney

Love is for sharing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/08/2014 14:30, Tim+ wrote:
Jim Hall wrote:
I recently had my bathroom decorated and a new vinyl floor covering.
The decorator added some white silicon (Dow Corning - I saw the
container he used) around the toilet base.
My wife does not like it and wants me to remove it.
I have seen Unibond Silicon Sealnt Remover - and have also seen that
WD40 can be used. Any suggestions, views, or comments please.

I've used Unibond silicone remover on a vinyl floor and it was fine.
Removed silicone and left floor un damaged.

I've tried the stuff they sell at Lidl and found it ineffective on all
but the last remnants of silicone. Having said that, their silicone
removal tool, while it looks unlikely (plastic) worked quite well, so
used in combination, not bad. But still a miserable job!

--
Cheers, Rob

Silicon sealant Timothy Murphy[_2_] UK diy 25 August 26th 10 07:31 PM
Silicon sealant Anna Kettle[_2_] UK diy 14 August 22nd 08 11:30 PM
Sealant remover? Part P UK diy 4 August 4th 06 02:21 PM
Gutter or silicon sealant? Matthew UK diy 3 March 10th 06 10:03 PM
Silicon sealant Angela UK diy 6 November 17th 03 04:17 PM