Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default EDF closes 4 nuclear reactors

On Wed, 13 Aug 2014 12:06:10 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 13/08/14 09:14, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
In article , The Other Mike
writes

Could come to nothing,
but given similar operating hours, the severity / distribution of any defects
and capabilities to effect a number of parallel repairs or even replacements it
could quite easily lead to the loss of up to 2.3GW of generation on a temporary
or extended basis.

One report I read (I can try and find the link again if needed) stated
that the entire weight of the boiler is borne by the spine, so
repair/replacement may not be straightforward.

I have a feeling these reactors may be out of service for quite some
time, if not condemned altogether.

Rubbish. Whole boiler and pipe assembly could be easily replaced if its
economic.

It could, and you mention economic, but maybe fail to understand the possibility
of a type defect*, the lead time and certification process to produce a new
boiler let alone say 35 of them (to account for spares)

* given that this is a revisit after the problem was first discovered just over
12 months ago and that all the sites have already been off load for
comprehensive checks and previously returned to service.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Natural Philosopher
writes

One report I read (I can try and find the link again if needed) stated
that the entire weight of the boiler is borne by the spine, so
repair/replacement may not be straightforward.

I have a feeling these reactors may be out of service for quite some
time, if not condemned altogether.

Rubbish. Whole boiler and pipe assembly could be easily replaced if its
economic.

You really do have comprehension problems, don't you? I'm talking about
the *spine*, not the boiler. If the spine does carry the weight of the
boiler as well as the pipework, all that may have to come out for
repair/replacement of the spine.

Try reading before jerking your knee for once.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Other Mike
writes

The boilers are designed to be removed from the concrete pressure / containment
vessel and have been in the past. A replacement can be dropped in and a small
number of spares, or more likely by now repaired boilers exist. But, being of
identical design these may also have the same defects.

I'm talking about repair/replacement of the spine being complicated by
them bearing the weight of the boiler, if the report I read is correct.

But there are *lots* of unknowns

Indeed.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/08/14 15:07, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
In article , The Natural Philosopher
writes

One report I read (I can try and find the link again if needed) stated
that the entire weight of the boiler is borne by the spine, so
repair/replacement may not be straightforward.

I have a feeling these reactors may be out of service for quite some
time, if not condemned altogether.

Rubbish. Whole boiler and pipe assembly could be easily replaced if its
economic.

You really do have comprehension problems, don't you? I'm talking about
the *spine*, not the boiler. If the spine does carry the weight of the
boiler as well as the pipework, all that may have to come out for
repair/replacement of the spine.

I know.
So what? Its no big deal

Try reading before jerking your knee for once.

Try not jerking you todger and reading instead.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 Aug 2014 15:09:50 +0100, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

In article , The Other Mike
writes

The boilers are designed to be removed from the concrete pressure / containment
vessel and have been in the past. A replacement can be dropped in and a small
number of spares, or more likely by now repaired boilers exist. But, being of
identical design these may also have the same defects.

I'm talking about repair/replacement of the spine being complicated by
them bearing the weight of the boiler, if the report I read is correct.

The spine could be viewed as the equivalent of a coolant hose on the French car
production line step 1.

Replacement without substantial disruption is probably not feasible.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , The Other
Mike escribió:

The spine could be viewed as the equivalent of a coolant hose on the French car
production line step 1.

Replacement without substantial disruption is probably not feasible.

Yes, someone posted a link to an exploded diagram of the boilers used.
Those show the spine isn't a passive component but actually carries
gases and/or fluids.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Natural Philosopher
writes

I know.
So what? Its no big deal

http://www.thermopedia.com/content/638/

You reckon replacing that is no big deal? You're full of ****.

Try not jerking you todger and reading instead.

At least I can get it up to jerk it, unlike you.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 Aug 2014 20:54:24 +0100, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

En el artículo , The Other
Mike escribió:

The spine could be viewed as the equivalent of a coolant hose on the French car
production line step 1.

Replacement without substantial disruption is probably not feasible.

Yes, someone posted a link to an exploded diagram of the boilers used.
Those show the spine isn't a passive component but actually carries
gases and/or fluids.

Yes, that is a distinct possibility, and if so it is carrying feedwater to the
bottom of the boiler at around 275 degrees C and 168 bar.