Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Please recommend a 24 hr timer

I have three 24 hour timers, and yesterday we had the power on and off 6 or
7 times due to power cuts. Each time loads of things need re-setting
including these three timers

Can anyone recommend from their own experience a simple 24 hour timer with
one off and one on that maintains it's time during power cuts. Several years
ago I used some Smiths electronic ones, which were (usually) fine but would
have a hissy fit sometimes when power came back on and corrupt the settings.
So I don't want to just buy 'unseen' as it were

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/08/14 10:55, Andrew Mawson wrote:
I have three 24 hour timers, and yesterday we had the power on and off 6
or 7 times due to power cuts. Each time loads of things need re-setting
including these three timers

Can anyone recommend from their own experience a simple 24 hour timer
with one off and one on that maintains it's time during power cuts.
Several years ago I used some Smiths electronic ones, which were
(usually) fine but would have a hissy fit sometimes when power came back
on and corrupt the settings. So I don't want to just buy 'unseen' as it
were

Andrew

These:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/m/dp/B004I5BQA6

Model TE7-MP

I have had 3 for 4 years running oil rads. Very reliable. Slight clock
drift but certainly maintain everything during power failures which get
get slightly less of than you, but still at least 4 a year.

I am *very* surprised they are still available by the same number, but
they look the same. They have a rechargeable cell inside.

Amazon reviews suggest that occasionally a bad batch comes out of China.
Mine have been fine - Argos IIRC.

Also not suitable for morons apparently - I must admit they are fiddly
to program, but it is logical - you program ON and OFF switchpoints. My
only bugbear is no DST autocorrection - that would be nice.

HTH

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for the suggestion Tim.

I should previously have said I need the hard wired variety ie no integral
13 a socket

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/08/2014 10:55, Andrew Mawson wrote:
I have three 24 hour timers, and yesterday we had the power on and off 6
or 7 times due to power cuts. Each time loads of things need re-setting
including these three timers

Can anyone recommend from their own experience a simple 24 hour timer
with one off and one on that maintains it's time during power cuts.
Several years ago I used some Smiths electronic ones, which were
(usually) fine but would have a hissy fit sometimes when power came back
on and corrupt the settings. So I don't want to just buy 'unseen' as it
were

For a permanent insrallation, I've found the cheap immersion heater ones
sold by B&Q are good. They're 7 day timers, but can be set to trigger
every day at the same time. I don't have anyb packaging to hand, but
they've been selling the same ones for over ten years now.

Similarly, their plug in 7 day timers seem to survive pretty well when
power goes off.

They both have the same problem, though, in that the internal batteries
only last about 5 years in my experience. Which isn't that far off the
relay's predicted life.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/08/2014 14:56, John Williamson wrote:
On 11/08/2014 10:55, Andrew Mawson wrote:
I have three 24 hour timers, and yesterday we had the power on and off 6
or 7 times due to power cuts. Each time loads of things need re-setting
including these three timers

snip
They both have the same problem, though, in that the internal batteries
only last about 5 years in my experience. Which isn't that far off the
relay's predicted life.

I have an electronic Smiths immersion heater timer set to come on once a
day. It has run flawlessly since 2003 (but no auto BST/GMT switchover)

In 2010 the Ranco K59 electro-mechanical stat failed in my Liebherr
fridge freezer, just as it hit the 2 year warranty period. The importers
refused to sell me the stat (*), so since then it has been running on a
Smiths daily electronic timer, set for 15/20 mins on every 60 or 90
mins. This was fine but every so often it would lose all its settings
and default to power off. I couldn't establish a pattern, but when
plugged into an old BT 13 amp surge protector that used to be used in an
exchange, it has been fine.

The immersion stat says made in Britain. The daily plug in version from
the same company says made in China.

(*) And although there are ebay sellers in Germany, they will not supply
to a non-German or non-Austrian address :-(.

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew" wrote in message ...
SNIP

The immersion stat says made in Britain. The daily plug in version from
the same company says made in China.

(*) And although there are ebay sellers in Germany, they will not supply
to a non-German or non-Austrian address :-(.

Andrew

That sounds like a breach of EU law ?

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message
I have three 24 hour timers, and yesterday we had the power on and off 6 or
7 times due to power cuts. Each time loads of things need re-setting
including these three timers

Can anyone recommend from their own experience a simple 24 hour timer with
one off and one on that maintains it's time during power cuts. Several
years ago I used some Smiths electronic ones, which were (usually) fine
but would have a hissy fit sometimes when power came back on and corrupt
the settings. So I don't want to just buy 'unseen' as it were

Andrew

I use several Sangamo Powersaver time switches. Not cheap but very reliable.
Good memory back-up. Fits a standard pattress.
Haven't had one fail in about 10 years use. 16A resistive and fairly
intuitive controls.
They come in all sorts of flavours, 1 day~5/2 day~7 day. Good kit imo.
http://www.sangamodirect.co.uk/Sanga...ver-s/1889.htm
No doubt they can be obtained less expensively elsewhere.
HTH,
Nick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/08/2014 19:05, Andrew Mawson wrote:
"Andrew" wrote in message ...
SNIP

The immersion stat says made in Britain. The daily plug in version
from the same company says made in China.

(*) And although there are ebay sellers in Germany, they will not
supply to a non-German or non-Austrian address :-(.

Andrew

That sounds like a breach of EU law ?

Andrew

It would be illegal to stop them from selling to other EU countries, but
I am not aware of any legislation that says they have to sell to every
other EU country.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nick" wrote in message ...

[...]

Thanks for that suggestion Nick - certainly Sangamo have been going for many
years, and their mechanical circular timers used to be an industry standard.
I'll go off and do a bit of Googling

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andrew Mawson
wrote:
"Nick" wrote in message ...

[...]

and, I think, they prodcue the only "Solar Dial" one. Nobody seesm to have
produced an electronic one of those yet.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles explained :
and, I think, they prodcue the only "Solar Dial" one. Nobody seesm to have
produced an electronic one of those yet.

I can remember having seen one, a small grey cube with an LCD display,
from one of the well known names, but no idea which one.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)