Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What makes a good angle grinder for occasional use

Regardless of the specific use to which an angle grinder would be put are
there any general characteristics you would recommend that would be worth
having?

I know that that is rather vague but an angle grinder is not something that
would get used too often so it is hard to give specific uses. But I guess
that there are some common characteristics to help explain the wide variance
of prices.

James

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 08/08/2014 14:40, James Harris wrote:
Regardless of the specific use to which an angle grinder would be put are
there any general characteristics you would recommend that would be worth
having?

I know that that is rather vague but an angle grinder is not something that
would get used too often so it is hard to give specific uses. But I guess
that there are some common characteristics to help explain the wide variance
of prices.

I have a cheapo 9" grinder. The only drawback I am aware of is that it
is exceedingly heavy. I've never used a good one, so I can't be sure
that's the only difference in practice. However, hefting them in the
shop, the cheap ones are double the weight.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Harris formulated on Friday :
Regardless of the specific use to which an angle grinder would be put are
there any general characteristics you would recommend that would be worth
having?

I know that that is rather vague but an angle grinder is not something that
would get used too often so it is hard to give specific uses. But I guess
that there are some common characteristics to help explain the wide variance
of prices.

James

For occasional use, look at the Aldi/Lidl special offers. For more
regular use, look at buying Makita or a similar well known brand name.

I have four or five Aldi type ones, each with different blades. all
115mm except one of 125mm. 115mm disks are cheaper, the grinder lighter
and easier to get into tight spots.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/08/14 14:40, James Harris wrote:
Regardless of the specific use to which an angle grinder would be put are
there any general characteristics you would recommend that would be worth
having?

I know that that is rather vague but an angle grinder is not something that
would get used too often so it is hard to give specific uses. But I guess
that there are some common characteristics to help explain the wide variance
of prices.

James

Depends.

A cheap green Bosch 4.5" is a good general purpose tool for slashing
bits of metal. It's the tool of choice for buggering about with cars and
small scale masonry work.

However, if you need to chop concrete on a regular basis, you'll need a
bigger device.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Do they make them that are either quiet, or cannot be turned on on sunny
weekends in the garden at all? :-)

Brian

--
From the Bed of Brian Gaff.
The email is valid as
"James Harris" wrote in message
Regardless of the specific use to which an angle grinder would be put are
there any general characteristics you would recommend that would be worth
having?

I know that that is rather vague but an angle grinder is not something
that would get used too often so it is hard to give specific uses. But I
guess that there are some common characteristics to help explain the wide
variance of prices.

James

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , James Harris
writes
Regardless of the specific use to which an angle grinder would be put are
there any general characteristics you would recommend that would be worth
having?

I know that that is rather vague but an angle grinder is not something that
would get used too often so it is hard to give specific uses. But I guess
that there are some common characteristics to help explain the wide variance
of prices.

If you don't want a 9", go for a 5" with variable speed control. Much
better disc life than 4.5" and the speed control enables you to use a
wire brush relatively safely.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/08/2014 14:40, James Harris wrote:

Regardless of the specific use to which an angle grinder would be put are
there any general characteristics you would recommend that would be worth
having?

Well if unsure of the use, then its safest to assume cutting masonry
will be a likely task. That really suggests that one with good bearing
ans switch sealing against dust, and adequately protected armature windings.

Since even top name grinders are not expensive, I would suggest going
with one of those.

I know that that is rather vague but an angle grinder is not something that
would get used too often so it is hard to give specific uses. But I guess
that there are some common characteristics to help explain the wide variance
of prices.

You have not specified the size of machine you are looking at, but for
general purpose use one can probably assume 4.5". For masonry work a 9"
is more useful.

Something with an "industrial" rating will designed for continuous use -
this is worth having as I have seen many people burn out cheap grinders
simply by using them for 20 mins.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 08/08/2014 17:42, Brian Gaff wrote:
Do they make them that are either quiet, or cannot be turned on on sunny
weekends in the garden at all? :-)

Love it

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"James Harris" wrote in message
Regardless of the specific use to which an angle grinder would be put are
there any general characteristics you would recommend that would be worth
having?

I know that that is rather vague but an angle grinder is not something
that would get used too often so it is hard to give specific uses. But I
guess that there are some common characteristics to help explain the wide
variance of prices.

James

My experience with these very cheap power tools is that the cheapos are not
intended for contiuous use and will burn out if you don't give them a "rest"
when they seem a bit hot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/08/2014 14:40, James Harris wrote:
Regardless of the specific use to which an angle grinder would be put are
there any general characteristics you would recommend that would be worth
having?

I know that that is rather vague but an angle grinder is not something that
would get used too often so it is hard to give specific uses. But I guess
that there are some common characteristics to help explain the wide variance
of prices.

James

I got a Bosch 115 model. Very nice soft start. Happily get the same
model again were I to need to. From memory, it was a very reasonable
price as it was not bottom of the range. Came in a very serviceable
plastic case with enough room for quite a lot of discs.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 08/08/2014 20:20, polygonum wrote:
On 08/08/2014 14:40, James Harris wrote:
Regardless of the specific use to which an angle grinder would be put are
there any general characteristics you would recommend that would be worth
having?

I know that that is rather vague but an angle grinder is not something
that
would get used too often so it is hard to give specific uses. But I guess
that there are some common characteristics to help explain the wide
variance
of prices.

James

I got a Bosch 115 model. Very nice soft start. Happily get the same
model again were I to need to. From memory, it was a very reasonable
price as it was not bottom of the range. Came in a very serviceable
plastic case with enough room for quite a lot of discs.

I have a cheapo that I bought maybe 10 years ago, not sure what I bought
it for but has had ocassional use along the way, this and last summer I
have used it to cut through 3 x 2 paving slabs probably about 30 in
total. Its only a 4.5 inch so I get about halfway through and then thump
with a hammer. Its noisy its heavy but not used a lot. I only do a few
paving slabs at a time so it works for me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , James Harris
writes
Regardless of the specific use to which an angle grinder would be put are
there any general characteristics you would recommend that would be worth
having?

I know that that is rather vague but an angle grinder is not something
that
would get used too often so it is hard to give specific uses. But I guess
that there are some common characteristics to help explain the wide
variance
of prices.

If you don't want a 9", go for a 5" with variable speed control. Much
better disc life than 4.5" and the speed control enables you to use a wire
brush relatively safely.

I don't understand about the 5" vs 4.5". Why would the 5" ones have better
disc life?

James

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"polygonum" wrote in message
On 08/08/2014 14:40, James Harris wrote:
Regardless of the specific use to which an angle grinder would be put are
there any general characteristics you would recommend that would be worth
having?

I know that that is rather vague but an angle grinder is not something
that
would get used too often so it is hard to give specific uses. But I guess
that there are some common characteristics to help explain the wide
variance
of prices.

James

I got a Bosch 115 model. Very nice soft start. Happily get the same model
again were I to need to. From memory, it was a very reasonable price as it
was not bottom of the range. Came in a very serviceable plastic case with
enough room for quite a lot of discs.

Can you remember the model number?

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Having read them, rather than going for
something middle-of-the-road that could be used for just about any task I
think I will go for something relatively small and light just now with the
option of getting a second, larger one later if needed. So the plan is to
get a 115mm angle grinder of about 2kg. That leaves some queries and
observations.

* Is soft start worth having on a small unit?

* Do angle grinders have anything like different "chuck" sizes to hold
thinks like a mortar rake? ("Spindle size?")

* Would these all use a standard disc hole (technical term!) size?

* Some reports of Bosch grinders say it is hard to operate the button while
wearing work gloves. Maybe applies to other makes too.

* Some are advertised as having metal gears. I would have thought they would
all have!

* I haven't seen much or any info about dust dispersion for small (cheap)
devices.

Some angle grinders such as from Black and Decker come with a number of
grinding discs. Are all discs of a similar standard or would the bundled
ones be of poorer quality and best avoided?

Here are three options. For convenience these are all links to Amazon but
that's not meant to recommend one shop over another. As they say, other
suppliers are available....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Decker.../dp/B004OBZZXI
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-23033.../dp/B00AY04ILI
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-PWS-70.../dp/B00BZ8SFQ2

Because this is for occasional use I have gone for the lower end of the
market - £30 to £36. I see from the comments in this thread that some really
cheap angle grinders can have problems so I have avoided those about £20.
Presumably any of these would be OK...?

James

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , James Harris
writes
"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
.. .
In message , James Harris
writes
Regardless of the specific use to which an angle grinder would be put are
there any general characteristics you would recommend that would be worth
having?

I know that that is rather vague but an angle grinder is not something
that
would get used too often so it is hard to give specific uses. But I guess
that there are some common characteristics to help explain the wide
variance
of prices.

If you don't want a 9", go for a 5" with variable speed control. Much
better disc life than 4.5" and the speed control enables you to use a wire
brush relatively safely.

I don't understand about the 5" vs 4.5". Why would the 5" ones have better
disc life?

Extra 0.25" of abrasive?

Discs get discarded before being worn down to the drive shoulder so the
useful life is greater than this. Particularly if you are *through*
cutting something thick.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/08/14 14:40, James Harris wrote:
Regardless of the specific use to which an angle grinder would be put are
there any general characteristics you would recommend that would be worth
having?

Guts...

Kelly Carter - Angle Grinder (London UK)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14sf8ACdt28

Potentially NSFW...

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Adrian C
writes
On 08/08/14 14:40, James Harris wrote:
Regardless of the specific use to which an angle grinder would be put are
there any general characteristics you would recommend that would be worth
having?

Guts...

Kelly Carter - Angle Grinder (London UK)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14sf8ACdt28

Potentially NSFW...

I wonder who did the risk assessment on that!

Hot steel swarf on the eyeballs is not fun. Hospital staff pick it off
with flat nosed tweezers.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/08/2014 11:48, James Harris wrote:
"polygonum" wrote in message
[...]

Its nice, but not a deal breaker if it does not have it... Even my 2kW
9" grinder does not have it, you just remember to spin it up well away
from anything!

* Do angle grinders have anything like different "chuck" sizes to hold
thinks like a mortar rake? ("Spindle size?")

No, they have a single size of threaded spindle and some disc clamping
plates. You can remove the plates when fitting brushes etc, and possibly
flip one over when clamping thinner discs (one normally has a spigot on
one side.

* Would these all use a standard disc hole (technical term!) size?

Yes.

* Some reports of Bosch grinders say it is hard to operate the button while
wearing work gloves. Maybe applies to other makes too.

Each maker seems to have a favoured location for the lock - but none are
particularly difficult IME.

* Some are advertised as having metal gears. I would have thought they would
all have!

Cheaper ones will be nylon. For a grinder, I would say going for one
that can grind continuously is sensible. Metal gears as well if doing
much masonry.

* I haven't seen much or any info about dust dispersion for small (cheap)
devices.

You won't see much! at all!

Basically any unshrouded grinder on masonry will make clouds of fine
dust that will go everywhere. Imagine as much dust as you can, now
treble it, and you will be half way there! If you try using one inside
to chase plaster for example, you will have about 40 seconds before you
can't see your hands in front of your face.

If you want to chase or cut masonry without dust getting everywhere then
you need a wall chaser.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Wall_chaser

Some angle grinders such as from Black and Decker come with a number of
grinding discs. Are all discs of a similar standard or would the bundled
ones be of poorer quality and best avoided?

There are variations in quality - however I would not let a bundle of
"normal" discs sway your decisions one way or the other.

Metal cutting and grinding discs last a reasonable time - but you still
get through a few if doing much work. Masonry cutting abrasives are
fairly hopeless though[1] - you may need several to do one large
concrete slab. For masonry you need a diamond disc. Even the poor ones
will outlast 100s of the normal abrasives, and good ones possibly 1000s.

[1] The exception to that may be cutting very hard stone like
engineering brick - that will take a very high quality diamond disc to
do well, so may be worth using a few cheap abrasive discs for a one off
job.

Don't be surprised though if buying a top quality diamond disc to pay
more for it than you paid for the grinder!

Here are three options. For convenience these are all links to Amazon but
that's not meant to recommend one shop over another. As they say, other
suppliers are available....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Decker.../dp/B004OBZZXI
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-23033.../dp/B00AY04ILI
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-PWS-70.../dp/B00BZ8SFQ2

Of those I prefer the B&D...

Because this is for occasional use I have gone for the lower end of the
market - £30 to £36. I see from the comments in this thread that some really
cheap angle grinders can have problems so I have avoided those about £20.
Presumably any of these would be OK...?

Have a look at some of the deals on quality grinders that also include a
diamond disc - quite often you can get them for the same or less than
the cost of buying a cheap one and a separate disc (if you ignore the
silverline discs that is ;-).

e.g:

http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/makita-g...-9554nbkd-240v

or more power, less weight, three year warranty, and case:

http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/makita-9...grinder-p30349

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/08/2014 14:40, James Harris wrote:
Regardless of the specific use to which an angle grinder would be put are
there any general characteristics you would recommend that would be worth
having?

I know that that is rather vague but an angle grinder is not something that
would get used too often so it is hard to give specific uses. But I guess
that there are some common characteristics to help explain the wide variance
of prices.

James

I bought a B&D 4" grinder about 15 years ago - still going strong.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/08/2014 15:40, John Rumm wrote:

snip

Have a look at some of the deals on quality grinders that also include a
diamond disc - quite often you can get them for the same or less than
the cost of buying a cheap one and a separate disc (if you ignore the
silverline discs that is ;-).

e.g:

http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/makita-g...-9554nbkd-240v

or more power, less weight, three year warranty, and case:

http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/makita-9...grinder-p30349

Excuse the thread hijack - would that tool/disk be the the thing for
cutting a section out of a ceramic tile?

Having a right job trying to to cut out parts of tile to fit around
sockets. Tried snips and pilot holes but they snap very easily.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/08/2014 13:21, RJH wrote:
On 09/08/2014 15:40, John Rumm wrote:

snip

Have a look at some of the deals on quality grinders that also include a
diamond disc - quite often you can get them for the same or less than
the cost of buying a cheap one and a separate disc (if you ignore the
silverline discs that is ;-).

e.g:

http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/makita-g...-9554nbkd-240v

or more power, less weight, three year warranty, and case:

http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/makita-9...grinder-p30349

Excuse the thread hijack - would that tool/disk be the the thing for
cutting a section out of a ceramic tile?

One that is already fixed to a wall etc?

e.g.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...%28retrofit%29

The a multimaster type tool is just the ticket for delicate cutting in
place.

For cuts prior to hanging, then a small water cooled disc tile cutter
such as the plasplugs one will do reasonably well.

You can also get round rasp blades for a hacksaw that will cut sections
out of tiles prior to hanging.

Having a right job trying to to cut out parts of tile to fit around
sockets. Tried snips and pilot holes but they snap very easily.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/08/2014 15:34, John Rumm wrote:
On 10/08/2014 13:21, RJH wrote:
On 09/08/2014 15:40, John Rumm wrote:

snip

Have a look at some of the deals on quality grinders that also include a
diamond disc - quite often you can get them for the same or less than
the cost of buying a cheap one and a separate disc (if you ignore the
silverline discs that is ;-).

e.g:

http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/makita-g...-9554nbkd-240v

or more power, less weight, three year warranty, and case:

http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/makita-9...grinder-p30349

Excuse the thread hijack - would that tool/disk be the the thing for
cutting a section out of a ceramic tile?

One that is already fixed to a wall etc?

e.g.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...%28retrofit%29

The a multimaster type tool is just the ticket for delicate cutting in
place.

No, not fixed. I have a multimaster-type tool and carbide bit but it
doesn't seem to cut it. I'll have another go later.

For cuts prior to hanging, then a small water cooled disc tile cutter
such as the plasplugs one will do reasonably well.

A Bosch blue drill bit goes through with ease, but when it comes to
tidying/nibbling the between holes, the tile cracks. In fairness I've
only wrecked 4 tiles, but I'm now at my danger threshold!

You can also get round rasp blades for a hacksaw that will cut sections
out of tiles prior to hanging.

That, or the angle grinder/diamond cutter was my next choice.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/08/2014 13:21, RJH wrote:
[...]

If you need an L shaped tile, a 4" grinder with diamond blade (used
freehand) should suffice, unless of course one part of the L is very
narrow. Then you might consider moving the socket. A U shaped is better
done on a motorised tile saw saw. That's why I try to always use 4"
tiles in a kitchen :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/08/2014 13:21, RJH wrote:
[...]

Yes, it's U shaped. Fekkin' thing ;-)

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/08/2014 13:21, RJH wrote:
[...]

Either a wet tile cutter - make multiple cuts into the U leaving lots of
fingers of tile that can then be snapped off.

Or if you want to use an angle grinder you need a high quality
continuous rim diamond disk. Silverline do a cheap one that will work on
normal tiles. Norton do a very good "hard materials" one that will work
or properly hard tiles like porcelain backed etc. (although don't expect
much change from £50 if you need to buy one of those!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/08/2014 13:21, RJH wrote:
[...]

You have my sympathy. My U shapes have been known to turn into two L
shapes at the last moment :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Aug 2014 07:55:29 +0100, stuart noble wrote:

Yes, it's U shaped. Fekkin' thing ;-)

You have my sympathy. My U shapes have been known to turn into two L
shapes at the last moment :-)

Ah, Welsh tiles.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 09/08/2014 11:48, James Harris wrote:

* Do angle grinders have anything like different "chuck" sizes to hold
thinks like a mortar rake? ("Spindle size?")

No, they have a single size of threaded spindle and some disc clamping
plates. You can remove the plates when fitting brushes etc, and possibly
flip one over when clamping thinner discs (one normally has a spigot on
one side.

OK. It sounds as though any angle grinder would take a standard mortar rake
(a potential use within the next year).

* I haven't seen much or any info about dust dispersion for small (cheap)
devices.

You won't see much! at all!

Basically any unshrouded grinder on masonry will make clouds of fine dust
that will go everywhere. Imagine as much dust as you can, now treble it,
and you will be half way there! If you try using one inside to chase
plaster for example, you will have about 40 seconds before you can't see
your hands in front of your face.

If you want to chase or cut masonry without dust getting everywhere then
you need a wall chaser.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Wall_chaser

One use would be to channel out a concrete ceiling so that a lighting cable
can be inserted recessed rather than via surface trunking. If that would
create a lot of dust then some sort of cowling might be good to have but the
dust shields I have seen are as expensive as the cheaper angle grinders.
Perhaps some sort of home made cowl attached to a vacuum cleaner would do.

[...]

Any reason why? Aside from the supplied discs I cannot see much difference
between it and the others. I haven't bought a B&D power tool in years as I
wasn't sure it would last long but perhaps they are better than they used to
be - or at least, better than I remember them to be.

Because this is for occasional use I have gone for the lower end of the
market - £30 to £36. I see from the comments in this thread that some
really
cheap angle grinders can have problems so I have avoided those about £20.
Presumably any of these would be OK...?

Have a look at some of the deals on quality grinders that also include a
diamond disc - quite often you can get them for the same or less than the
cost of buying a cheap one and a separate disc (if you ignore the
silverline discs that is ;-).

e.g:

http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/makita-g...-9554nbkd-240v

or more power, less weight, three year warranty, and case:

http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/makita-9...grinder-p30349

Thanks, I'll consider those. They are a more expensive but seem to be
somewhat lighter which would be a good thing.

I didn't get the comment about Silverline discs. Did you mean that
Silverline are good or bad? Presumably, buying a set of discs would be
cheaper than buying discs individually so they may be worth getting,
especially if I go for an angle grinder that comes with none.

James