Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Antex soldering iron.

My homemade solder/desolder station uses a pair of Antex TC50 low voltage
temperature controlled irons. The electronics are a rip off of the one
Maplin did as a kit in the '90s. I can select either iron with a switch -
they have the two commonest size bits I use, and that saves having to
change bits.

The element in one has failed. Doesn't owe me anything considering the use
it gets.

Searched all the usual places - including Antex - and no spare elements
available.

But both CPC and Rapid have the complete iron for under 30 quid inc.
Farnell too but over 40 exc.

The Antex site seems to charge about 14 quid for mains elements and about
40 for low voltage temperature controlled ones - but didn't have the exact
one.

So 30 quid for a complete iron seems a bit of a bargain to me. I've
ordered up two - which should see me out. ;-)

--
*Suicidal twin kills sister by mistake.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 06 Aug 2014 00:22:43 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

[...]

I feel the same about Weller soldering irons and just bought a new 40w
iron to complement the 25w model I've had for decades. Nothing wrong
with the 25w - it's fine for most circuit boards - but I thought I'd
splash out on something with a bit more oomph for soldering earth
connections to pots, etc. I don't do anything like the amount of
soldering that I expect you do but recently I had a whole batch of
electric guitars which all came back from a school with the electrics
loose and wires broken and it was worth having both irons at the ready
just for them.

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
[...]

When I replaced by 1960s 15W mains voltage Antex iron I was disappointed
to find that the lead had got much fatter and stiffer (ooh er missus).
No doubt it's improved insulation, all in my best interests etc, but I
preferred it limp.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Barnes wrote:

When I replaced by 1960s 15W mains voltage Antex iron I was disappointed
to find that the lead had got much fatter and stiffer (ooh er missus).
No doubt it's improved insulation, all in my best interests etc, but I
preferred it limp.

I think you have to pay extra to get one with silicone flex rather than
PVC flex, the former is melt-proof.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
When I replaced by 1960s 15W mains voltage Antex iron I was disappointed
to find that the lead had got much fatter and stiffer (ooh er missus).
No doubt it's improved insulation, all in my best interests etc, but I
preferred it limp.

I think you have to pay extra to get one with silicone flex rather than
PVC flex, the former is melt-proof.

Yes. The one I'm referring to comes with a silicone flex. Essential on
such a light weight iron - which is what I first liked about it. Most
others seem clumsy after you've got used to Antex.

--
*I tried to catch some fog, but I mist.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
When I replaced by 1960s 15W mains voltage Antex iron I was disappointed
to find that the lead had got much fatter and stiffer (ooh er missus).
No doubt it's improved insulation, all in my best interests etc, but I
preferred it limp.

I think you have to pay extra to get one with silicone flex rather than
PVC flex, the former is melt-proof.

Yes. The one I'm referring to comes with a silicone flex. Essential on
such a light weight iron - which is what I first liked about it. Most
others seem clumsy after you've got used to Antex.

Thanks for that, I'll get one with the silicone flex. I hadn't read
anything to suggest that as well as being heat-proof, it's more flexible.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, August 6, 2014 7:59:09 AM UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
I think you have to pay extra to get one with silicone flex rather than
PVC flex, the former is melt-proof.

melt-*resistant*

DAMHIKT

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 06 Aug 2014 07:46:42 +0100, Mike Barnes wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
[...]

I paid extra and got the silicone lead.

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 6 August 2014 10:56:10 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

silicone flex [...] is melt-proof.

melt-*resistant*

Yes, after posting I did wonder if anyone would pull me up on that

It's, actually heat-resistant silicone cable.

I buy this for the lab for extra safety. We use the SD50 stations.
http://www.rapidonline.com/design-te...tation-85-5080

I also buy the lead free bits even though we use leaded solder as I find the
lead free bits retain the heat better and tend to last longer and are easier to clean with my prefered tip cleaner.
http://www.rapidonline.com/multicore...leaner-85-0630

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
I know someone still using one of those Antex 1970's "my first soldering
iron" the other day, remember them? curved perspex box, little spool of
solder, couple of bits and a tweezer/heatsink thingy? He still had the
cardboard sleeve.

Bought my first Antex - a 15w mains one - in the early 60s. After getting
fed up with the then 'standard' small iron - a Henley Solex 25w - for
electronics. Modern Antex are still pretty close to that original - which
shows what a good design it was. Although the modern elements last a lot
longer. ;-)

--
*When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, August 6, 2014 10:56:10 AM UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
spuorgelgoog wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:

I know someone still using one of those Antex 1970's "my first soldering
iron" the other day, remember them? curved perspex box, little spool of
solder, couple of bits and a tweezer/heatsink thingy? He still had the
cardboard sleeve.
Here's another example
http://www.petervis.com/Electronics_Tools/Antex_Soldering_Iron_Vintage/Vintage_Antex_Ad.html

Looks quite modern.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/08/2014 10:56, Andy Burns wrote:
wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

silicone flex [...] is melt-proof.

melt-*resistant*

Yes, after posting I did wonder if anyone would pull me up on that

DAMHIKT

One of mine has a damaged section where you can see the inner insulation

I know someone still using one of those Antex 1970's "my first soldering
iron" the other day, remember them? curved perspex box, little spool of
solder, couple of bits and a tweezer/heatsink thingy? He still had the
cardboard sleeve.

Here's another example

http://www.petervis.com/Electronics_Tools/Antex_Soldering_Iron_Vintage/Vintage_Antex_Ad.html

Blimey that's some memory.

I had exactly that perspex and blue box. Wow.

I had some grand electronics teachers when I was growing up. My uncle
was a radar engineer, and gave me big bag 'o bits when I was small.
Capacitors, resistors, all kinds. All mixed up. Sorted them. Then I
learned colour bands by a totally inappropriate mnemonic. Built loads of
stuff with them. Would have been the late 70s, I was 8 or 9 then. My
dad's best friend was an electronics genius [my memory]. I learned
amplifier design, and most of my diagramming and layout skills from him.

Building expansion port projects for the Commodore 64 out of DIL relays
and triacs on veroboard was my childhood electronics zenith. I made a
240v mains disco lighting rig using triacs, and 8 lights, driven by
sound to light using the analog inputs on the 9 pin joystic ports to
pick up the sound. Good times.

I think about getting my boy interested in electronics, but then I think
what's the point? Discreet stuff with flip flops, transitors,
transformers etc. just what would you use that for from 2014 onwards?

Might try him with a spring terminal kit this year though. He's 7.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/2014 00:41, HarpingOn wrote:
I think about getting my boy interested in electronics, but then I think
what's the point? Discreet stuff with flip flops, transitors,
transformers etc. just what would you use that for from 2014 onwards?

Might try him with a spring terminal kit this year though. He's 7.

If nothing else, it might teach him that complicated and digital is not
always necessary.

If you can find a job for them, Vellerman kits are good for teaching
about simple things, as you end up with something at least vaguely
useful, and he'll not be afraid to try to repair stuff.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

spuorgelgoog wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:

[...]

Its still doable to have things he'd not have otherwise by doing repairs to discarded goods. Also make buzzer games, fancy lighting, a 1920s style radio, computer speakers etc.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
HarpingOn wrote:

Building expansion port projects for the Commodore 64 out of DIL relays
and triacs on veroboard was my childhood electronics zenith. I made a
240v mains disco lighting rig using triacs, and 8 lights, driven by
sound to light using the analog inputs on the 9 pin joystic ports to
pick up the sound. Good times.

Hah, much the same here :-) C=64 and bits of veroboard with the paper
maplin catalogue as reference along with old random electronics stuff
picked up from jumble sales took much of my spare time as a kid :-)

I think about getting my boy interested in electronics, but then I think
what's the point? Discreet stuff with flip flops, transitors,
transformers etc. just what would you use that for from 2014 onwards?

Might try him with a spring terminal kit this year though. He's 7.

Got my son one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0006SK3WG/
a few years ago (I think he was 7 at the time). Not bad for the basics,
he certainly enjoyed it.

Move on to arduino and/or pi stuff if interested?

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , John Williamson
scribeth thus
On 07/08/2014 00:41, HarpingOn wrote:
I think about getting my boy interested in electronics, but then I think
what's the point? Discreet stuff with flip flops, transitors,
transformers etc. just what would you use that for from 2014 onwards?

Might try him with a spring terminal kit this year though. He's 7.

If nothing else, it might teach him that complicated and digital is not
always necessary.

If you can find a job for them, Vellerman kits are good for teaching
about simple things, as you end up with something at least vaguely
useful, and he'll not be afraid to try to repair stuff.

For a bit of a joke I bought a young lady a radio kit sometime ago, shes
now starting an electrical Eng. degree at Uni..

So be careful where it leads....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
I know someone still using one of those Antex 1970's "my first soldering
iron" the other day, remember them? curved perspex box, little spool of
solder, couple of bits and a tweezer/heatsink thingy? He still had the
cardboard sleeve.

Bought my first Antex - a 15w mains one - in the early 60s. After getting
fed up with the then 'standard' small iron - a Henley Solex 25w - for
electronics.

My father still has his Henley Solex 25w, which is what I learned
to solder with. Once you have learned to make good solder joins
with that, you can solder with anything, including a screwdriver
heated up on the gas stove.

Modern Antex are still pretty close to that original - which
shows what a good design it was. Although the modern elements last a lot
longer. ;-)

Father's is on its second bit, which is full of corroded holes ;-)
I rather suspect it was just a piece of copper rod he found somewhere,
as it's a rather loose fit in the holder. I never saw the original bit.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, August 7, 2014 10:52:09 AM UTC+1, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:

[...]

I've got a few of that era, with bits made from various copper/brass scrap. Occasionally theyre still useful.

I'va also got the non-electric predecessors. I pity anyone doing electronics with those.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
I'va also got the non-electric predecessors. I pity anyone doing
electronics with those.

My father used to call his a soldering bolt. Heated it up on the gas
cooker. Don't think it was used again when we went electric. ;-)

Baker's soldering fluid and bar solder.

How times have changed.

--
*Organized Crime Is Alive And Well; It's Called Auto Insurance.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Bought my first Antex - a 15w mains one - in the early 60s. After getting
fed up with the then 'standard' small iron - a Henley Solex 25w - for
electronics.

My father still has his Henley Solex 25w, which is what I learned
to solder with. Once you have learned to make good solder joins
with that, you can solder with anything, including a screwdriver
heated up on the gas stove.

Thinking on, I think I meant Solon.

Modern Antex are still pretty close to that original - which shows
what a good design it was. Although the modern elements last a lot
longer. ;-)

Father's is on its second bit, which is full of corroded holes ;-)
I rather suspect it was just a piece of copper rod he found somewhere,
as it's a rather loose fit in the holder. I never saw the original bit.

I've still got one - resides in the bottom of the toolbox I'd take to a
'job', as a 'just in case'. Tough enough to survive being there.
The original bits got loose in the holder as they wear, IIRC. But is
pretty well just a length of copper rod.

--
*Okay, who stopped the payment on my reality check? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 7 August 2014 00:41:05 UTC+1, HarpingOn wrote:

Might try him with a spring terminal kit this year though. He's 7.

Bit late for that I'd start with a summer kit or perhaps even an autumn kit ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 7 August 2014 09:15:35 UTC+1, tony sayer wrote:
In article , John Williamson

scribeth thus

On 07/08/2014 00:41, HarpingOn wrote:

I think about getting my boy interested in electronics, but then I think

what's the point? Discreet stuff with flip flops, transitors,

transformers etc. just what would you use that for from 2014 onwards?

Might try him with a spring terminal kit this year though. He's 7.

If nothing else, it might teach him that complicated and digital is not

always necessary.

If you can find a job for them, Vellerman kits are good for teaching

about simple things, as you end up with something at least vaguely

useful, and he'll not be afraid to try to repair stuff.

For a bit of a joke I bought a young lady a radio kit sometime ago, shes

now starting an electrical Eng. degree at Uni..

So be careful where it leads....

yeah could cost you a small fortune at 9k a year and that's without accomodation. You should have given her an apron and oven glove set.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Just to continue the uk diy tradition of thread drift, I ordered up some
zeners and heat shrink sleeving at the same time as the Antex irons.

The zeners were 3p each, or 2p 50+. So decided on 50. Being an Aberdonian.

They arrived individually wrapped in those little plastic bags - each one
printed with details of the part. Took me ages to cut them all out and put
them in a single bag to fit in my nest of drawers.

The heat shrink - 2.4mm stuff that I use quite a bit of - came on a drum.
12" in in diameter and 1" wide. So won't fit my cable rack. ;-)

--
*I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If you can find a job for them, Vellerman kits are good for teaching

about simple things, as you end up with something at least vaguely

useful, and he'll not be afraid to try to repair stuff.

For a bit of a joke I bought a young lady a radio kit sometime ago, shes

now starting an electrical Eng. degree at Uni..

So be careful where it leads....

yeah could cost you a small fortune at 9k a year and that's without
accomodation.

Nay lad it costs her so I understand;!...

You should have given her an apron and oven glove set.

Ooooh you sexist piggy;!....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

My homemade solder/desolder station uses a pair of Antex TC50 low voltage

The Antex site seems to charge about 14 quid for mains elements and about
40 for low voltage temperature controlled ones - but didn't have the exact
one.

So 30 quid for a complete iron seems a bit of a bargain to me. I've
ordered up two - which should see me out. ;-)

Have an Antex now around 30 yrs old .... working fine, and mains cable
still as inflexible as when new ... why they put really inflexible pvc
cable is silly.

I have had 2 temperature controlled RS irons ... burnt out in only a
couple of years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 6 Aug 2014 03:52:44 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave
wrote:

It's, actually heat-resistant silicone cable.

and if it melts then you need to wait 1-2 months for a replacement!

http://www.rapidonline.com/tools-equ...e-1-2m-85-0668

If anyone knows of another source of small (sub 5mm overall diameter) silicone
insulated cable using 0.25mm^2 conductors, at least four core and preferably
five core then I'd be interested.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rick Hughes wrote:
Have an Antex now around 30 yrs old .... working fine, and mains cable
still as inflexible as when new ... why they put really inflexible pvc
cable is silly.

To make it better value. Dunno about them but most for ages have been
available with a very flexible silicone rubber lead at extra cost. Of
course wherever you bought it from might not have stocked them. But it's
and easy job to change the cable anyway.

--
*When a clock is hungry it goes back four seconds*