Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Minimum slant for a pitched, tiled roof, in windy area?

Can anyone tell me what is considered the minimum slope that a pitched,
tiled roof may have? (My location is often hammered by gale-force winds in
Winter.)

This will be for my detached, double garage. Can anyone give me a rough
idea of the cost of materials, using bog-standard construction, with two
sloping sides, and blocked-in gable-ends? I may use concrete tiles, to
match the house - or a cheaper alternative, perhaps.

Thank you..

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AL_n wrote:
Can anyone tell me what is considered the minimum slope that a pitched,
tiled roof may have? (My location is often hammered by gale-force winds in
Winter.)

This will be for my detached, double garage. Can anyone give me a rough
idea of the cost of materials, using bog-standard construction, with two
sloping sides, and blocked-in gable-ends? I may use concrete tiles, to
match the house - or a cheaper alternative, perhaps.

Thank you..

Al

The tiles will be specified with a minimum and maximum laying angle.
lower pitch will require greater overlap ie more tiles per sq m.

Rule of thumb. Most tiles will tolerate 30 degrees, at 20 degrees your
will have a reduced choice.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"AL_n" wrote in message

Can anyone tell me what is considered the minimum slope that a pitched,
tiled roof may have? (My location is often hammered by gale-force winds in
Winter.)

This will be for my detached, double garage. Can anyone give me a rough
idea of the cost of materials, using bog-standard construction, with two
sloping sides, and blocked-in gable-ends? I may use concrete tiles, to
match the house - or a cheaper alternative, perhaps.

It depends entirely on what the weather surface is.
It could be five degrees or less for sheet metal.
It could be anywhere between fifteen and thirty degrees for tiles.
Also the amount tiles are "overlapped" has a bearing.
Also depends on local wind speeds and rainfall.
The manufacurers have data, you have to check it out

Posted to uk.d-i-y

AL_n wrote:
Can anyone tell me what is considered the minimum slope that a pitched,
tiled roof may have? (My location is often hammered by gale-force winds in
Winter.)

This will be for my detached, double garage. Can anyone give me a rough
idea of the cost of materials, using bog-standard construction, with two
sloping sides, and blocked-in gable-ends? I may use concrete tiles, to
match the house - or a cheaper alternative, perhaps.

Thank you..

Al

I use 17degrees as a minimum with Mareley lay on concrete tiles.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Capitol" wrote in message
o.uk...
AL_n wrote:
Can anyone tell me what is considered the minimum slope that a pitched,
tiled roof may have? (My location is often hammered by gale-force winds
in
Winter.)

This will be for my detached, double garage. Can anyone give me a rough
idea of the cost of materials, using bog-standard construction, with two
sloping sides, and blocked-in gable-ends? I may use concrete tiles, to
match the house - or a cheaper alternative, perhaps.

Thank you..

Al

I use 17degrees as a minimum with Mareley lay on concrete tiles.

I had 17.5 deg in my mind as a minimum (dunno why)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
"Capitol" wrote in message
o.uk...
AL_n wrote:
Can anyone tell me what is considered the minimum slope that a pitched,
tiled roof may have? (My location is often hammered by gale-force
winds in
Winter.)

This will be for my detached, double garage. Can anyone give me a rough
idea of the cost of materials, using bog-standard construction, with two
sloping sides, and blocked-in gable-ends? I may use concrete tiles, to
match the house - or a cheaper alternative, perhaps.

Thank you..

Al

I use 17degrees as a minimum with Mareley lay on concrete tiles.

I had 17.5 deg in my mind as a minimum (dunno why)

I think 17.5 is the official figure, but I've got away with 16 in some
places when necessary.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Jul 2014 16:21:20 GMT AL_n wrote :
Can anyone tell me what is considered the minimum slope that a pitched,
tiled roof may have? (My location is often hammered by gale-force winds in
Winter.)

As others have said, it depends on the tile. Marley Wessex tiles are good down
to 15 degrees

http://www.marleyeternit.co.uk/roofi...king-tile.aspx

Melbourne, Australia www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tony Bryer wrote:
On 30 Jul 2014 16:21:20 GMT AL_n wrote :
Can anyone tell me what is considered the minimum slope that a pitched,
tiled roof may have? (My location is often hammered by gale-force winds in
Winter.)

As others have said, it depends on the tile. Marley Wessex tiles are good down
to 15 degrees

http://www.marleyeternit.co.uk/roofi...king-tile.aspx

We face the north winds here, and we are high up, so sometimes there's a
hell of a wind. A neighbour put a pitched roof on his flat-roofed
bungalow and it was done with flat concrete tiles at 17deg. One side
faces north, and just very occasionally when the wind's bad some rain
creeps in and runs down the felt to emerge dripping from the little
vents in the underdrawing.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, July 30, 2014 5:21:20 PM UTC+1, AL_n wrote:
Can anyone tell me what is considered the minimum slope that a pitched,

tiled roof may have? (My location is often hammered by gale-force winds in

Winter.)

This will be for my detached, double garage. Can anyone give me a rough

idea of the cost of materials, using bog-standard construction, with two

sloping sides, and blocked-in gable-ends? I may use concrete tiles, to

match the house - or a cheaper alternative, perhaps.

Thank you..

Al

I have previously used forticrete centurian tiles which can go as low as 11 degrees when fully nailed down - they supply plastic clips that nail into the battens. The tiles have a baffle on the top to stop rain being blown underneath the tile above.
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, July 30, 2014 5:21:20 PM UTC+1, AL_n wrote:
Can anyone tell me what is considered the minimum slope that a pitched,

tiled roof may have? (My location is often hammered by gale-force winds in

Winter.)

This will be for my detached, double garage. Can anyone give me a rough

idea of the cost of materials, using bog-standard construction, with two

sloping sides, and blocked-in gable-ends? I may use concrete tiles, to

match the house - or a cheaper alternative, perhaps.

Thank you..

Al

Phone either Redland, Marley or Sandtoft they all have a person to person reps on all technical advice

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"AL_n" wrote in message

Can anyone tell me what is considered the minimum slope that a pitched,
tiled roof may have? (My location is often hammered by gale-force winds in
Winter.)

This will be for my detached, double garage. Can anyone give me a rough
idea of the cost of materials, using bog-standard construction, with two
sloping sides, and blocked-in gable-ends? I may use concrete tiles, to
match the house - or a cheaper alternative, perhaps.

Thank you..

Different tiles have different minimum pitches, but considering it's an
outbuilding, I don't think anyone would care what you used or what pitch it
was.

If it were mine, I'd try to make it match the house or surrounding
buildings.

Tiles cover about a square foot, so you can price it yourself once you've
worked out the area.

You'll need underfelt (breathable is the standard now) and battens....the
lower the pitch, the more nails you'll need, standard pitch, every third row
is nailed, lower than this and every second row, obviously the bottom tile
will have to be nailed.

If it's a fairly modern (IE square) building, it might be cheaper to use
trusses, these are delivered to site along with nails and all the timber
required to fix them all together...by the time you've bought all the 4X2,
ridge boards etc and cut all the angles, then built the roof structure, the
costs start spiralling, so I'd enquire about trusses.

You'll need wallplates whichever way you decide to go.

Also when pricing, don't forget the often overlooked extras: ridge tiles,
small tower or youngermans and stands for access, plastic end caps up and
down each gable, (1 per tile), fascias, gutters etc, eaves protectors, and
if you decide on a 'wavy' tile, you'll need a plastic strip that goes at the
bottom to keep birds out

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in
news
Also when pricing, don't forget the often overlooked extras: ridge
tiles, small tower or youngermans and stands for access, plastic end
caps up and down each gable, (1 per tile), fascias, gutters etc, eaves
protectors, and if you decide on a 'wavy' tile, you'll need a plastic
strip that goes at the bottom to keep birds out

Thanks to everyone for the help! One slight complication is that the
building is not exactly rectangular. one of the gable ends was built un-
square to the adjoining walls. It is maybe 3 degrees out of true (i.e., one
of the adjoining walls is about 9" shorther than it's opposite, parallel
counterpart). Hopeully I can get around that without rebuilding the entire
gable end, which would require widening the existing footings.

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, July 30, 2014 5:21:20 PM UTC+1, AL_n wrote:
Can anyone tell me what is considered the minimum slope that a pitched,
tiled roof may have? (My location is often hammered by gale-force winds in
Winter.)

We used Marley Cambrian reconstituted slates which are rated at 15 degrees. Building Control approved them (but would not allow natural slate.)

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/07/2014 17:21, AL_n wrote:
Can anyone tell me what is considered the minimum slope that a pitched,
tiled roof may have? (My location is often hammered by gale-force winds in
Winter.)

This will be for my detached, double garage. Can anyone give me a rough
idea of the cost of materials, using bog-standard construction, with two
sloping sides, and blocked-in gable-ends? I may use concrete tiles, to
match the house - or a cheaper alternative, perhaps.

Thank you..

Al

Depends of the tile & fixing ....
You need to decide on tile and look up manufacturer spec on mimimum,
pitch ..
Mine were 30 degrees min, nailed first 2 rows and every 3rd row, and all
eaves tiles.

Or decide on pitch and find tile that works.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, July 30, 2014 5:21:20 PM UTC+1, AL_n wrote:

Can anyone tell me what is considered the minimum slope that a pitched,
tiled roof may have? (My location is often hammered by gale-force winds in
Winter.)
This will be for my detached, double garage. Can anyone give me a rough
idea of the cost of materials, using bog-standard construction, with two
sloping sides, and blocked-in gable-ends? I may use concrete tiles, to
match the house - or a cheaper alternative, perhaps.
Thank you..
Al

FWIW when you need to go extra-low, one can roof with flat asbestos equivalent then tile over it.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/07/2014 17:21, AL_n wrote:
Can anyone tell me what is considered the minimum slope that a pitched,
tiled roof may have? (My location is often hammered by gale-force winds in
Winter.)

This will be for my detached, double garage. Can anyone give me a rough
idea of the cost of materials, using bog-standard construction, with two
sloping sides, and blocked-in gable-ends? I may use concrete tiles, to
match the house - or a cheaper alternative, perhaps.

Thank you..

Al

A few years ago I had an extension (single story) built with a pitched
roof. I wanted to match the main roof tiles(concrete) and was told by
the architect that because of a bedroom window where the roof joined the
wall, the pitch was too shallow but I could do it if I put a layer of
onduline sheetimg below the tiles (presumably to channel away any rain
blown under the tiles). Roff isv exposed to the west and 10 years on no
problems

Malcolm

Bathroom fan for windy area? Ian White UK diy 2 July 2nd 07 07:33 AM
Walking on a pitched roof Steve Home Repair 25 March 29th 07 05:18 PM
Pitched roof Bolted UK diy 3 April 1st 05 12:05 AM
Repair flat roof or have a sloping tiled roof put on? N. Thornton UK diy 0 January 8th 05 02:22 PM
Repair flat roof or have a sloping tiled roof put on? JohnJ UK diy 4 January 8th 05 08:03 AM