Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ikea Li-ion SDS drill

Ikea are selling a 14.4v cordless SDS for £40:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50232899/

I'm not in the market for one but I'm curious to know if anyone's used one and how good (or bad) it was.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
mike wrote:
Ikea are selling a 14.4v cordless SDS for £40:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50232899/

I'm not in the market for one but I'm curious to know if anyone's used
one and how good (or bad) it was.

Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't actually say it's SDS.

--
*I'm pretty sure that sex is better than logic, but I can't prove it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

/Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't actually say it's SDS./q

Look closely at the drill bits.....

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JimK wrote:
/Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't actually say it's SDS./q

Look closely at the drill bits.....

and - the on-line manual says SDS Plus tool holder.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

mike wrote:

Ikea are selling a 14.4v cordless SDS for £40:
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50232899/

Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't actually say it's SDS.

The drills included with it certainly look like SDS

Posted to uk.d-i-y

/The drills included with it certainly look like SDS/q

Indeed, and why else would you need different chucks for certain drills?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JimK wrote:
/Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't actually say it's SDS./q

Look closely at the drill bits.....

Being a suspicious sod, could it be it takes SDS type drills, but the
actual percussion mechanism doesn't conform to SDS standards?

It just seemed odd to me to not actually make a point of it being SDS in
the ads.

--
*There's no place like www.home.com *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

/Being a suspicious sod, could it be it takes SDS type drills, but the
actual percussion mechanism doesn't conform to SDS standards?

It just seemed odd to me to not actually make a point of it being SDS in the ads./q

The manual mentions SDS Plus a few times but yes, you would think they'd trumpet the fact more...

NB are there standards for SDS percussion mechanisms??

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
JimK wrote:
/Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't actually say it's SDS./q

Look closely at the drill bits.....

Being a suspicious sod, could it be it takes SDS type drills, but the
actual percussion mechanism doesn't conform to SDS standards?

It just seemed odd to me to not actually make a point of it being SDS in
the ads.

Its just a lousy ad given that the manual says its SDS

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JimK wrote:
/Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't actually say it's SDS./q

Look closely at the drill bits.....

Being a suspicious sod, could it be it takes SDS type drills, but the
actual percussion mechanism doesn't conform to SDS standards?

It just seemed odd to me to not actually make a point of it being SDS in
the ads.

The 1J impact energy per blow puts it into the (light) SDS performance
range though... (as does the add on "normal" chuck)

Its only a 2 function machine though...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JimK wrote:
/Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't actually say it's SDS./q

Look closely at the drill bits.....

Being a suspicious sod, could it be it takes SDS type drills, but the
actual percussion mechanism doesn't conform to SDS standards?

It just seemed odd to me to not actually make a point of it being SDS in
the ads.

Spec says;

Rated speed: 0-900 rpm
Impact rate: 0-4800 bpm
Impact energy per stroke: 1.0 J
Tool holder: SDS plus

My 18v Hitachi;
- Impact Rates : 0-3100/6200
- Impact Energh : 1.4 Joules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
In article ,
JimK wrote:
/Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't actually say it's SDS./q

Look closely at the drill bits.....

Being a suspicious sod, could it be it takes SDS type drills, but the
actual percussion mechanism doesn't conform to SDS standards?

It just seemed odd to me to not actually make a point of it being SDS
in the ads.

The 1J impact energy per blow puts it into the (light) SDS performance
range though... (as does the add on "normal" chuck)

Its only a 2 function machine though...

Doubt you'd get very far doing wall chasing etc given the battery size -
and the single built in battery. ;-)

Seems a curious tool for Ikea to sell.

--
*Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

/Doubt you'd get very far doing wall chasing etc given the battery size -
and the single built in battery. ;-)

Seems a curious tool for Ikea to sell/q

? How many Ikea punters will want to wall chase?!

I think it's a good sell to an Ikea punter who needs to drill a few holes to secure his new wardrobes/bookcases, ....and then put it in the cellar:-)

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JimK wrote:

I think it's a good sell to an Ikea punter who needs to drill a few
holes to secure his new wardrobes/bookcases, ....and then put it in the
cellar:-)

Well yes - except that for occasional use like that a mains tool would be
far far better. As it will be always ready for use.

As a fairly experienced DIYer, I've not really felt the need for a battery
SDS drill. And for a pro of any sort who does need one, the lack of
battery life - and being unable to fit a second one while the first
re-charges - would make it fairly useless.

In other words, I can't see the point in it. ;-)

--
*Frustration is trying to find your glasses without your glasses.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

/Well yes - except that for occasional use like that a mains tool would be
far far better. As it will be always ready for use.

As a fairly experienced DIYer, I've not really felt the need for a battery
SDS drill. And for a pro of any sort who does need one, the lack of
battery life - and being unable to fit a second one while the first
re-charges - would make it fairly useless.

In other words, I can't see the point in it. ;-)
/q

I wouldn't want to be screwing screws in with a mains drill,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

/Well yes - except that for occasional use like that a mains tool would be
far far better. As it will be always ready for use.

As a fairly experienced DIYer, I've not really felt the need for a battery
SDS drill. And for a pro of any sort who does need one, the lack of
battery life - and being unable to fit a second one while the first
re-charges - would make it fairly useless.

In other words, I can't see the point in it. ;-) /q

I wouldn't want to be screwing screws in with a mains drill.

I can also see Ikea punters bein drawn to it as a one stop shop/box for finishing off their flatpack projects, without the expense of mains drill, cordless screwdriver, drill bit set etc.

I don't believe it's aimed at pros....that is the point if it.

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JimK wrote:
/Well yes - except that for occasional use like that a mains tool would be
far far better. As it will be always ready for use.

As a fairly experienced DIYer, I've not really felt the need for a battery
SDS drill. And for a pro of any sort who does need one, the lack of
battery life - and being unable to fit a second one while the first
re-charges - would make it fairly useless.

In other words, I can't see the point in it. ;-)
/q

I wouldn't want to be screwing screws in with a mains drill,

Why not?

However, if you think this Ikea drill such a brilliant tool, will you be
buying one? That at the end of the day is what matters.

--
*Sorry, I don't date outside my species.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JimK wrote:
I can also see Ikea punters bein drawn to it as a one stop shop/box for
finishing off their flatpack projects, without the expense of mains
drill, cordless screwdriver, drill bit set etc.

A basically SDS drill with a plug in chuck for ordinary drills or
screwdriving is going to be a PITA - have you ever tried such an
arrangement?

--
*Why isn't there mouse-flavoured cat food?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

/Why not?

However, if you think this Ikea drill such a brilliant tool, will you be
buying one? That at the end of the day is what matters. /q

Which mains drill do you use for driving screws?

I won't be buying one, I'm not in the market for such a thing, unlike I expect, lots of tool-less Ikea buying types...

Who don't mind swapping the chucks to drill/drive in a few screws now and then instead of spending at least double on something more 'worthy'

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Jul 2014 17:21:52 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
JimK wrote:
I can also see Ikea punters bein drawn to it as a one stop shop/box for
finishing off their flatpack projects, without the expense of mains
drill, cordless screwdriver, drill bit set etc.

A basically SDS drill with a plug in chuck for ordinary drills or
screwdriving is going to be a PITA - have you ever tried such an
arrangement?

Wobbly, innit? I can see this being used with a 3mm drill - snap!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JimK wrote:
I can also see Ikea punters bein drawn to it as a one stop shop/box for
finishing off their flatpack projects, without the expense of mains
drill, cordless screwdriver, drill bit set etc.

A basically SDS drill with a plug in chuck for ordinary drills or
screwdriving is going to be a PITA - have you ever tried such an
arrangement?

Wobbly, innit? I can see this being used with a 3mm drill - snap!

Yup. When I bought my mains SDS yonks ago - a mains DeWalt - I paid quite
a lot extra for a normal chuck. Never having tried one I didn't know just
how useless it would be. ;-)

--
*I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore I am perfect*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JimK wrote:

I think it's a good sell to an Ikea punter who needs to drill a few
holes to secure his new wardrobes/bookcases, ....and then put it in the
cellar:-)

Well yes - except that for occasional use like that a mains tool would be
far far better. As it will be always ready for use.

As a fairly experienced DIYer, I've not really felt the need for a battery
SDS drill. And for a pro of any sort who does need one, the lack of
battery life - and being unable to fit a second one while the first
re-charges - would make it fairly useless.

Not so. I have an 18v Hitachi SDS and it's a godsend.

In other words, I can't see the point in it. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
As a fairly experienced DIYer, I've not really felt the need for a
battery SDS drill. And for a pro of any sort who does need one, the
lack of battery life - and being unable to fit a second one while the
first re-charges - would make it fairly useless.

Not so. I have an 18v Hitachi SDS and it's a godsend.

Err, is that a 14.4v 1.5 amp hour type with a battery which can't be
swapped and takes 5-7 hours to charge? And only cost 40 quid?

That would be a DH18DLS? Over twice the impact power, over twice the
battery capacity, and less than 1 hour to re-charge. If you have an extra
battery you can simply swop it while the other charges.

Oh - it costs some 5 times as much.

--
*If work is so terrific, how come they have to pay you to do it?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

/Oh - it costs some 5 times as much. /q

Ah yes that'll be the rub....:-)

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
As a fairly experienced DIYer, I've not really felt the need for a
battery SDS drill. And for a pro of any sort who does need one, the
lack of battery life - and being unable to fit a second one while the
first re-charges - would make it fairly useless.

Not so. I have an 18v Hitachi SDS and it's a godsend.

Err, is that a 14.4v 1.5 amp hour type with a battery which can't be
swapped and takes 5-7 hours to charge? And only cost 40 quid?

That would be a DH18DLS? Over twice the impact power, over twice the
battery capacity, and less than 1 hour to re-charge. If you have an extra
battery you can simply swop it while the other charges.

Oh - it costs some 5 times as much.

What I meant was, a cordless SDS is a godsend, but that IKEA one would
actually work for me & many other 'pro's'.

Not used every day, but necessary, enough capacity to fix half a dozen
curtain poles or blinds, powerful enough for those jobs, a massive step
up from a hammer drill & can be charged overnight at home.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JimK wrote:
/Well yes - except that for occasional use like that a mains tool would
be far far better. As it will be always ready for use.

As a fairly experienced DIYer, I've not really felt the need for a
battery SDS drill. And for a pro of any sort who does need one, the lack
of battery life - and being unable to fit a second one while the first
re-charges - would make it fairly useless.

In other words, I can't see the point in it. ;-) /q

The first person I met who used one had on the basis that his company did
not want to use customers' electricty supply - for various legal/insurance
reasons.

I wouldn't want to be screwing screws in with a mains drill.

I used to, before battery tools became available.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

JimK wrote:
I can also see Ikea punters bein drawn to it as a one stop shop/box
for finishing off their flatpack projects, without the expense of
mains drill, cordless screwdriver, drill bit set etc.

A basically SDS drill with a plug in chuck for ordinary drills or
screwdriving is going to be a PITA - have you ever tried such an
arrangement?

Wobbly, innit? I can see this being used with a 3mm drill - snap!

Yup. When I bought my mains SDS yonks ago - a mains DeWalt - I paid quite
a lot extra for a normal chuck. Never having tried one I didn't know just
how useless it would be. ;-)

Unless I carry two power drills with me, the conventional chuck has its
uses. I can't fit a hole-saw into an SDS chuck.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, July 21, 2014 5:21:52 PM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,

JimK wrote:

I can also see Ikea punters bein drawn to it as a one stop shop/box for

finishing off their flatpack projects, without the expense of mains

drill, cordless screwdriver, drill bit set etc.

A basically SDS drill with a plug in chuck for ordinary drills or

screwdriving is going to be a PITA - have you ever tried such an

arrangement?

The extra chuck with an SDS is surely for large wood drills, hole saws, augers etc. No-one is seriously going to use it with a 3mm drill or as a screwdriver. In fact, with battery technology as it is now, it's hard to imagine when you'd use a (non SDS) mains drill as a screwdriver. In the past, putting down floorboards, but today...?

I'd've thought the Ikea one would be pretty good for an Ikea punter who wants to fix some shelving units to the brick wall, for someone with a rental property/holiday home or maybe doing the odd DIY job for relatives a distance away, or (as TMH says) putting up a curtain pole.

Obviously, it's not going to do everything but then no-drill does everything and the tools that claim to be universal are usually the ones that are crap at everything.

Comparing it to the Hitachi specs TMH posted (and assuming it's not made of chocolate), it seems better than you'd expect for the price. The nearest comparable offering seems to be Lidl's £70 one that's been mentioned here befo

http://www.lidl-service.com/static/4...3384_EN_EL.pdf

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
What I meant was, a cordless SDS is a godsend, but that IKEA one would
actually work for me & many other 'pro's'.

Not used every day, but necessary, enough capacity to fix half a dozen
curtain poles or blinds, powerful enough for those jobs, a massive step
up from a hammer drill & can be charged overnight at home.

I can see a cordless SDS being a godsend for someone fitting a satellite
dish etc - but curtain poles? No mains at the places you work in?

But what you're saying is there's no need for a pro to pay the
(considerable) extra for a decent make like Hitachi - just get any old
thing from a shed?

--
*The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
I wouldn't want to be screwing screws in with a mains drill.

I used to, before battery tools became available.

I still do if I've got a lot - like floorboards. Have a mains drill that
runs at 50 RPM. Brilliant for screwdriving.

--
*Heart attacks... God's revenge for eating his animal friends

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
Yup. When I bought my mains SDS yonks ago - a mains DeWalt - I paid
quite a lot extra for a normal chuck. Never having tried one I didn't
know just how useless it would be. ;-)

Unless I carry two power drills with me, the conventional chuck has its
uses. I can't fit a hole-saw into an SDS chuck.

That was my thinking too. But the normal chuck in an SDS is so horrid to
use I'd carry two drills. ;-)

--
*Two many clicks spoil the browse *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 22 July 2014 11:17:48 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,

charles wrote:

Yup. When I bought my mains SDS yonks ago - a mains DeWalt - I paid

quite a lot extra for a normal chuck. Never having tried one I didn't

know just how useless it would be. ;-)

Unless I carry two power drills with me, the conventional chuck has its

uses. I can't fit a hole-saw into an SDS chuck.

That was my thinking too. But the normal chuck in an SDS is so horrid to
use I'd carry two drills. ;-)

assuming you already had 2 drills....

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:

Yup. When I bought my mains SDS yonks ago - a mains DeWalt - I paid

quite a lot extra for a normal chuck. Never having tried one I
didn't

know just how useless it would be. ;-)

Unless I carry two power drills with me, the conventional chuck has
its

uses. I can't fit a hole-saw into an SDS chuck.

That was my thinking too. But the normal chuck in an SDS is so horrid
to use I'd carry two drills. ;-)

assuming you already had 2 drills....

If I could only have one drill, it certainly wouldn't be an SDS. Drilling
masonry so hard it needs an SDS accounts for perhaps 0.01% of the holes I
drill. And I could use the good ol' Rawltool for that odd hole. My SDS
drill get used more for chiselling.

--
*If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:

Yup. When I bought my mains SDS yonks ago - a mains DeWalt - I paid

quite a lot extra for a normal chuck. Never having tried one I
didn't

know just how useless it would be. ;-)

Unless I carry two power drills with me, the conventional chuck has
its

uses. I can't fit a hole-saw into an SDS chuck.

That was my thinking too. But the normal chuck in an SDS is so horrid
to use I'd carry two drills. ;-)

assuming you already had 2 drills....

If I could only have one drill, it certainly wouldn't be an SDS. Drilling
masonry so hard it needs an SDS accounts for perhaps 0.01% of the holes I
drill. And I could use the good ol' Rawltool for that odd hole. My SDS
drill get used more for chiselling.

Ironically the typical d-i-y job of putting up a curtain rail is often a
total bugger requiring at least a top end Hilti :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
charles wrote:
Yup. When I bought my mains SDS yonks ago - a mains DeWalt - I paid
quite a lot extra for a normal chuck. Never having tried one I didn't
know just how useless it would be. ;-)

Unless I carry two power drills with me, the conventional chuck has its
uses. I can't fit a hole-saw into an SDS chuck.

That was my thinking too. But the normal chuck in an SDS is so horrid to
use I'd carry two drills. ;-)

The chuck I use has nothing wrong with it.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/07/2014 17:41, stuart noble wrote:

charles wrote:

[...]

And may it long remain so :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
What I meant was, a cordless SDS is a godsend, but that IKEA one would
actually work for me & many other 'pro's'.

Not used every day, but necessary, enough capacity to fix half a dozen
curtain poles or blinds, powerful enough for those jobs, a massive step
up from a hammer drill & can be charged overnight at home.

I can see a cordless SDS being a godsend for someone fitting a satellite
dish etc - but curtain poles? No mains at the places you work in?

There is, some even have running water :-)

Cordless is soooo much easier & no black, grubby cable dragging over the
white carpets.

But what you're saying is there's no need for a pro to pay the
(considerable) extra for a decent make like Hitachi - just get any old
thing from a shed?

Horses for courses. The IKEA jobby would be fine for a curtain/blind
fitter or a flat pack assembler. Bear in mind its Li Ion so you can
opportunity charge it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
charles wrote:
Yup. When I bought my mains SDS yonks ago - a mains DeWalt - I paid
quite a lot extra for a normal chuck. Never having tried one I didn't
know just how useless it would be. ;-)

Unless I carry two power drills with me, the conventional chuck has
its uses. I can't fit a hole-saw into an SDS chuck.

That was my thinking too. But the normal chuck in an SDS is so horrid
to use I'd carry two drills. ;-)

The chuck I use has nothing wrong with it.

That it sticks out a long way from the SDS chuck and wobbles doesn't
bother you?

--
*Remember: First you pillage, then you burn.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
But what you're saying is there's no need for a pro to pay the
(considerable) extra for a decent make like Hitachi - just get any old
thing from a shed?

Horses for courses. The IKEA jobby would be fine for a curtain/blind
fitter or a flat pack assembler. Bear in mind its Li Ion so you can
opportunity charge it.

I'll expect to see your report on it shortly, then. Or one from anyone who
actually buys it. ;-)

--
*Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

the normal chuck in an SDS is so horrid to
use I'd carry two drills. ;-)

Eh? The downside to the keyless extra chuck for my HR26xx SDS is that
it's pretty long, coupled with the body being fairly long too, it's no
use in tight spaces.

The other niggle with the drill is it's nearly impossible to remove or
reposition the side-handle without removing the chuck.