Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plasterboard Foam Adhesive

I've used some of this to fix plasterboard to brick:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/insta-stik...ve-750ml/72793

(link to Insta Stik Expanding Foam Grab Adhesive)

Very good it is too. Would it be suitable for fixing boards around a
chimney breast, though? This is in the attic and the flues aren't (and
never have been) open, and the only fireplaces likely to be used are 2
floors down, on the ground floor.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"RJH" wrote in message
I've used some of this to fix plasterboard to brick:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/insta-stik...ve-750ml/72793

(link to Insta Stik Expanding Foam Grab Adhesive)

Very good it is too. Would it be suitable for fixing boards around a
chimney breast, though? This is in the attic and the flues aren't (and
never have been) open, and the only fireplaces likely to be used are 2
floors down, on the ground floor.

Yes it can be used in this situation.

Personally I'd prefer to use drywall adhesive but if you've already bought
it...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, July 16, 2014 7:55:47 PM UTC+1, RJH wrote:
I've used some of this to fix plasterboard to brick:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/insta-stik...ve-750ml/72793

(link to Insta Stik Expanding Foam Grab Adhesive)

Very good it is too. Would it be suitable for fixing boards around a

chimney breast, though? This is in the attic and the flues aren't (and

never have been) open, and the only fireplaces likely to be used are 2

floors down, on the ground floor.

--

Cheers, Rob

Should be OK - it cures with moisture after all. Just make sure it is not sticking to dust. I find the foam fix adhesive excellent as it saves my back.. An advantage is that it is insulating whereas drywall adhesive is not. Its recommended to always use a few mechanical fixings near the top of the board anyway for safety in fires, etc.

Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/07/2014 19:55, RJH wrote:
I've used some of this to fix plasterboard to brick:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/insta-stik...ve-750ml/72793

(link to Insta Stik Expanding Foam Grab Adhesive)

Very good it is too. Would it be suitable for fixing boards around a
chimney breast, though? This is in the attic and the flues aren't (and
never have been) open, and the only fireplaces likely to be used are 2
floors down, on the ground floor.

be aware that Instastik continues to expand for a good hour or so.....

so if you have unequal quantities of insta stik across the
plasterboard's area, you will find the plasterboard will either buckle
or be no longer vertical/horizontal.

What I do is fit some aquaboard screws through the plasterboard into the
blockwork behind it, (so the foam expands sideways instead or batten it
using wood strips instead of using insta stik.

Drywall adhesive does not expand like Insta stik does.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/07/2014 22:45, Stephen wrote:
On 16/07/2014 19:55, RJH wrote:
I've used some of this to fix plasterboard to brick:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/insta-stik...ve-750ml/72793

(link to Insta Stik Expanding Foam Grab Adhesive)

Very good it is too. Would it be suitable for fixing boards around a
chimney breast, though? This is in the attic and the flues aren't (and
never have been) open, and the only fireplaces likely to be used are 2
floors down, on the ground floor.

be aware that Instastik continues to expand for a good hour or so.....

In this heat and humidity (30C/60%) it seems to do all its doings quite
quickly - 3 minutes tacky, 10 minutes seems quite firm.

so if you have unequal quantities of insta stik across the
plasterboard's area, you will find the plasterboard will either buckle
or be no longer vertical/horizontal.

I'm going quite slowly in any case, so things seem OK so far. It's more
other operator errors than Instastick :-)

What I do is fit some aquaboard screws through the plasterboard into the
blockwork behind it, (so the foam expands sideways instead or batten it
using wood strips instead of using insta stik.

Drywall adhesive does not expand like Insta stik does.

In fact, I have and am using both, at least until one runs out.

Thanks all for the comments.
--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y