keith

Default how to remove plasterboard adhesive from brick?

Please can anyone suggest the best way to remove plasterboard adhesive from
brick so that the brick still looks Ok.
I've tried chipping it and sponging the rest with water , but now I have a
general grey dusty tinge to the brick. Must be a better way?

This is for a conservatory, where the previous people stuck plasterboard on
what was the external wall . I've removed the plasterboard but need the
bricks to look nice. House is 10 year old red brick.
Thanks

Chris Bacon

keith wrote:
Please can anyone suggest the best way to remove plasterboard adhesive from
brick so that the brick still looks Ok.
I've tried chipping it and sponging the rest with water , but now I have a
general grey dusty tinge to the brick. Must be a better way?

Brick cleaner, from Jewsons.
The3rd Earl Of Derby

keith wrote:
Please can anyone suggest the best way to remove plasterboard
adhesive from brick so that the brick still looks Ok.
I've tried chipping it and sponging the rest with water , but now I
have a general grey dusty tinge to the brick. Must be a better way?

This is for a conservatory, where the previous people stuck
plasterboard on what was the external wall . I've removed the
plasterboard but need the bricks to look nice. House is 10 year old
red brick.
Thanks

Wire brush
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

This is for a conservatory, where the previous people stuck plasterboard on
what was the external wall . I've removed the plasterboard but need the
bricks to look nice. House is 10 year old red brick.

I've just stuck plasterboard onto my outside wall in a conservatory.
But the
bricks looked awful where an old out-house was chipped away etc.
So you won't want to buy my house !
Simon.

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"The3rd Earl Of Derby" writes:
keith wrote:
Please can anyone suggest the best way to remove plasterboard
adhesive from brick so that the brick still looks Ok.
I've tried chipping it and sponging the rest with water , but now I
have a general grey dusty tinge to the brick. Must be a better way?

This is for a conservatory, where the previous people stuck
plasterboard on what was the external wall . I've removed the
plasterboard but need the bricks to look nice. House is 10 year old
red brick.
Thanks

Wire brush

That usually damages the bricks. Either the wire scratches the
brick surface, or the brick surface takes on a metal coating
from the brush wires, depending on relative hardness of the
metal and brick faces.

Probably not a suitable solution for you, but when repointing,
if I have a small number of damaged brick faces, I will sometimes
carefully remove those bricks by drilling out the mortar round
them, and turn them round so the opposite face is outwards.

--
Andrew Gabriel

John Rumm

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

if I have a small number of damaged brick faces, I will sometimes
carefully remove those bricks by drilling out the mortar round
them, and turn them round so the opposite face is outwards.

Good idear... as long as you remember not to do it again in a few years ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

keith

This is for a conservatory, where the previous people stuck plasterboard
on
what was the external wall . I've removed the plasterboard but need the
bricks to look nice. House is 10 year old red brick.

I've just stuck plasterboard onto my outside wall in a conservatory.
But the
bricks looked awful where an old out-house was chipped away etc.
So you won't want to buy my house !
Simon.

Thanks for help. I've tried brick cleaner, not much use, will avoid
wirebrush, I guess it's down to repeated scrubbing.

Simon might wantt o know why I'm taking the plasterboard off :
Our house faces south across a valley & gets lot of rain. Rain soaks bricks
and gets past the join where conservatory roof joins house, by seepng down
through bricks.
Bricks above door get waterlogged, never dry out due to plasterboard, and
after heavy rain you get pools of water dripping through the plasterboard...
I'm hoping that exposing th ebricks will let them dry out between times.

The3rd Earl Of Derby

keith wrote:
[...]

So your neglecting the wirebrush method on the basis that someone said it
"that usually damages the brick"?

I'm not saying go at it like a demented demon scrubbing it.
A light brisk rub with wirebrush will eradicate the greyness and if as you
say the red brick is ten years old then the hardness is still there.

Suit yourself.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A heat gun. Heat the glue up until it gets soft, you should be able to just peel it off then.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ck-209360-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/2021 18:01, john browne wrote:
A heat gun. Heat the glue up until it gets soft, you should be able to
just peel it off then.

Before replying to a 15 year old post please read this:
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Home_owners_hub

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sorry. I didn't know I was replying to someone so immature.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ck-209360-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2021 03:01, johnbrowne wrote:

A heat gun. Heat the glue up until it gets soft, you should be able to just peel it off then.

Before replying to a 15 year old post please read this:
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Home_owners_hub

Sorry. I didn't know I was replying to someone so immature.

Firstly, congratulations - you seem to have been the first HOH poster to
actually find and reply to a message thread for a second time - normally
any replies seem lost to the void and never seen again due to the way it
highlights decades old conversations seemingly at random.

No offence intended, but we only really have two small problems with
your comment: The first was obviously answering a question 15 years late
- especially in light of it already having been answered at the time.
The second is a bit more fundamental since most traditional plasterboard
adhesives are plaster/cement like materials that don't soften with heat.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
On 02/01/2021 03:01, johnbrowne wrote:

A heat gun. Heat the glue up until it gets soft, you should be able to
just peel it off then.

Before replying to a 15 year old post please read this:
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Home_owners_hub

Sorry. I didn't know I was replying to someone so immature.

Firstly, congratulations - you seem to have been the first HOH poster to
actually find and reply to a message thread for a second time

Nope, at least two have done that with a reply of mine.

- normally any replies seem lost to the void and never seen again due to
the way it highlights decades old conversations seemingly at random.

No offence intended, but we only really have two small problems with your
comment: The first was obviously answering a question 15 years late -
especially in light of it already having been answered at the time. The
second is a bit more fundamental since most traditional plasterboard
adhesives are plaster/cement like materials that don't soften with heat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes I sometimes feel that on that web site, its the users who are all blind,
since I can see the dates of posts on the forum. The big issue seems to be
that once somebody posts from that site on an old post the quoting is
removed when it comes here thus removing the fact that the original person
responded to an old post. Most sensible forum software that interfaces to
Usenet, locks threads over a certain age and leaves them in an archive. This
seems not to occur on Home Owners Club. If I could find a real way to remove
posts automgically where they come from that forum, I would do so.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Fredxx" wrote in message
On 01/01/2021 18:01, john browne wrote:
A heat gun. Heat the glue up until it gets soft, you should be able to
just peel it off then.

Before replying to a 15 year old post please read this:
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Home_owners_hub

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, November 8, 2005 at 12:02:22 PM UTC, keith wrote:
Please can anyone suggest the best way to remove plasterboard adhesive from
brick so that the brick still looks Ok.
I've tried chipping it and sponging the rest with water , but now I have a
general grey dusty tinge to the brick. Must be a better way?
This is for a conservatory, where the previous people stuck plasterboard on
what was the external wall . I've removed the plasterboard but need the
bricks to look nice. House is 10 year old red brick.
Thanks

Pressure washer.
You will also have to do the surrounding brickwork as it likely is covered in black mould. Be a bit careful if the bricks are cheap soft ones.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2021 03:01, johnbrowne wrote:
Sorry. I didn't know I was replying to someone so immature.

No it is not a reply in the full sense. Most readers do not cover he
post from 15 years ago.

As per John's post thank you for posting a second time. However when I said:

Before replying to a 15 year old post please read this:
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Home_owners_hub

It was a heartfelt request and only then might you might then understand
some of the adversarial comments your post attracts.

You are welcome to repost, but please observe the protocol highlighted
in that article.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I wasn't expecting a reply from an ungrateful ****.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ck-209360-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2021 18:45, johnbrowne wrote:
I wasn't expecting a reply from an ungrateful ****.

Were you genuinely expecting any response to your reply
to a 15 year-old post though ?.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2021 18:45, johnbrowne wrote:

I wasn't expecting a reply from an ungrateful ****.

Actually I was grateful - you have actually proved its possible to
actually have a two way conversation with someone using HOH - something
that has rarely if ever happened in the number of years they have been
scraping content from usenet to feed their advertising sales.

However, as the one giving out unhelpful incorrect answers to 15 year
old questions, what makes you think we are the ****s?

BTW, if you want a better experience with usenet groups like uk.d-i-y,
then this may help:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...up_access_tips

Happy new year.

--