Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Universal wall socket

Son in law found these without USB in a twin wall socket whilst on
holiday.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00HJ3N5D0?psc=1

Anybody seen a UK offering?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, July 16, 2014 11:40:01 AM UTC+1, Capitol wrote:
Anybody seen a UK offering?

I suspect not legally, as I doubt very much whether it would be possible to make such a socket which was also BS1363 compliant.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Wednesday, July 16, 2014 11:40:01 AM UTC+1, Capitol wrote:
Anybody seen a UK offering?

I suspect not legally, as I doubt very much whether it would be possible
to make such a socket which was also BS1363 compliant.

The one shown isn't, as it is only rated at 10 amps.

--
*Of course I'm against sin; I'm against anything that I'm too old to enjoy.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

In article ,
wrote:
On Wednesday, July 16, 2014 11:40:01 AM UTC+1, Capitol wrote:
Anybody seen a UK offering?

I suspect not legally, as I doubt very much whether it would be possible
to make such a socket which was also BS1363 compliant.

The one shown isn't, as it is only rated at 10 amps.

So it would need a fused radial circuit for it - or to be fed from a fused
spur with a 10amp fuse. Swopping a 13 amp socket with its 30amp rated
circuit would be dangerous unless it has an internal fuse.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Jul 2014 14:56:37 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article 2,
DerbyBorn wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

In article ,
wrote:
On Wednesday, July 16, 2014 11:40:01 AM UTC+1, Capitol wrote:
Anybody seen a UK offering?

I suspect not legally, as I doubt very much whether it would be possible
to make such a socket which was also BS1363 compliant.

The one shown isn't, as it is only rated at 10 amps.

So it would need a fused radial circuit for it - or to be fed from a fused
spur with a 10amp fuse. Swopping a 13 amp socket with its 30amp rated
circuit would be dangerous unless it has an internal fuse.

You'll note also that it is capable of having a US plug put in it.
Which might surprise any Septic who actually did so.

You mean when it turns their 110v hair dryer into a passable flame
thrower?

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:
In article 2,
DerbyBorn wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

In article ,
wrote:
On Wednesday, July 16, 2014 11:40:01 AM UTC+1, Capitol wrote:
Anybody seen a UK offering?
I suspect not legally, as I doubt very much whether it would be

possible
to make such a socket which was also BS1363 compliant.
The one shown isn't, as it is only rated at 10 amps.

So it would need a fused radial circuit for it - or to be fed from a
fused spur with a 10amp fuse. Swopping a 13 amp socket with its 30amp
rated circuit would be dangerous unless it has an internal fuse.

You'll note also that it is capable of having a US plug put in it.
Which might surprise any Septic who actually did so.

Loads of those two pin devices are dual voltage now
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Capitol wrote:
Son in law found these without USB in a twin wall socket whilst on holiday.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00HJ3N5D0?psc=1

Anybody seen a UK offering?

More detail here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-DSX-056-...3D251410207551
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article om,
F Murtz wrote:
You'll note also that it is capable of having a US plug put in it.
Which might surprise any Septic who actually did so.

Loads of those two pin devices are dual voltage now

That would be quite a trick on a device sold for 8 quid which claims to be
10 amp. And shares the same connectors for all types of plug.

--
*Why is it called tourist season if we can't shoot at them?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article om,
F Murtz wrote:
You'll note also that it is capable of having a US plug put in it.
Which might surprise any Septic who actually did so.

Loads of those two pin devices are dual voltage now

That would be quite a trick on a device sold for 8 quid which claims to be
10 amp. And shares the same connectors for all types of plug.

I mean the things you plug in em.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
On Wednesday, July 16, 2014 11:40:01 AM UTC+1, Capitol wrote:
Anybody seen a UK offering?

I suspect not legally, as I doubt very much whether it would be possible
to make such a socket which was also BS1363 compliant.

The one shown isn't, as it is only rated at 10 amps.

I'd be surprised if they can do 10A. The 'contacts' are usually a couple of
strips of brass, which have to make contact with all the various sorts of plug
you might insert. They gradually lose their spring, so you get intermittent
connections. Not only do you get into wiggle-until-it-makes-contact
territory (something that really irritates me about two-pin US/EU plugs)
they risk getting hot because the contact isn't good enough to deliver the
current draw without signficant resistance. Also, many of these aren't
shuttered.

I've used them on cheap Chinese-made power strips that seem to be flooding
the developing world, and they're really terrible. Avoid.

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Theo Markettos wrote:
"Dave Plowman wrote:
In ,
wrote:
[...]

They're claiming CE approval FWIW!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, July 18, 2014 3:16:01 PM UTC+1, Capitol wrote:
Theo Markettos wrote:

"Dave Plowman wrote:

In ,

wrote:

[...]

I'd take a look at http://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org...ocket-outlets/ the tests show they are somewhat lacking

Martin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/07/2014 15:16, Capitol wrote:

They're claiming CE approval FWIW!

CE as in Communité Européenne, or CE as in China Export? The marks are
deliberately (On the Chinese end of it, anyway) very similar to the
untutored eye.

http://siloscordoba.com/wp-content/u...ina-Export.jpg

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Warby wrote:
On Friday, July 18, 2014 3:16:01 PM UTC+1, Capitol wrote:
Theo Markettos wrote:

"Dave Plowman wrote:

In ,

wrote:

[...]

That's a very good report. However, I suspect that many 13A fused
adapters used with 13A sockets will also fail. I've seen laptop psus
which fail to engage in some adapters because of a screen surround
around the 2/3 pin US outlet and to use them you have to cut the screen off.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Williamson wrote:
CE as in Communité Européenne, or CE as in China Export? The marks are
deliberately (On the Chinese end of it, anyway) very similar to the
untutored eye.

http://siloscordoba.com/wp-content/u...ina-Export.jpg

I thought that was a myth. Anyone can self-certify Communite Europeenne
compliance, unless you're in a specific field when you need external
certification from a Notified Body (Underwriters Labs, SGS, etc - eg for
medical devices) when the Body's number is displayed underneath.

In some cases self-certification makes sense: toys without toxic paint or
small/sharp parts don't exactly need a visit to a test lab.

But obviously there are many cases where self-certification is pushed too
far...

Theo