Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default changeover sw?

SWMBO wants to put a ceiling fan in the conservatory ... one option
would be to connect feed from the existing light ...

As it would still need existing light to work ... would therefore need a
pull switch with a changeover switch ...
posn 1 fan only
posn 2 light + fan

Wall switch would provide overall on/off

The fan will have its own remote control so that allows 3rd option of
lights only.

Can you get a pull cord change over switch.?

Would be very difficult to get at wiring other than using existing feed.

I know you can get fans with lights ... but that is not what she wants.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/07/14 22:44, Rick Hughes wrote:
SWMBO wants to put a ceiling fan in the conservatory ... one option
would be to connect feed from the existing light ...

As it would still need existing light to work ... would therefore need a
pull switch with a changeover switch ...
posn 1 fan only
posn 2 light + fan

Wall switch would provide overall on/off

The fan will have its own remote control so that allows 3rd option of
lights only.

Can you get a pull cord change over switch.?

Yes - a 2-way pull cord:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MK3192.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rick Hughes wrote:
SWMBO wants to put a ceiling fan in the conservatory ... one option
would be to connect feed from the existing light ...

As it would still need existing light to work ... would therefore need a
pull switch with a changeover switch ...
posn 1 fan only
posn 2 light + fan

Could you have it as
posn 1 light only
posn 2 light + fan
Then if the new switch was in the circuit after the existing switch and
controlled the fan, it would just need to be an on/off switch.

Wall switch would provide overall on/off

The fan will have its own remote control so that allows 3rd option of
lights only.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/07/2014 22:55, Tim Watts wrote:
On 13/07/14 22:44, Rick Hughes wrote:
SWMBO wants to put a ceiling fan in the conservatory ... one option
would be to connect feed from the existing light ...

As it would still need existing light to work ... would therefore need a
pull switch with a changeover switch ...
posn 1 fan only
posn 2 light + fan

Wall switch would provide overall on/off

The fan will have its own remote control so that allows 3rd option of
lights only.

Can you get a pull cord change over switch.?

Yes - a 2-way pull cord:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MK3192.html

+1

We used to have one over the bed in our bedroom to provide 2-way
switching in conjunction with a wall switch.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/07/2014 11:11, Roger Mills wrote:
On 13/07/2014 22:55, Tim Watts wrote:

Yes - a 2-way pull cord:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MK3192.html

+1

We used to have one over the bed in our bedroom to provide 2-way
switching in conjunction with a wall switch.

Tim/Roger .... cheers guys ... that's what I need.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/07/14 11:51, Rick Hughes wrote:
On 14/07/2014 11:11, Roger Mills wrote:
On 13/07/2014 22:55, Tim Watts wrote:

Yes - a 2-way pull cord:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MK3192.html

+1

We used to have one over the bed in our bedroom to provide 2-way
switching in conjunction with a wall switch.

Tim/Roger .... cheers guys ... that's what I need.

Very standard item - even B&Q probably have one in stock
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/07/2014 12:19, Tim Watts wrote:
On 14/07/14 11:51, Rick Hughes wrote:
On 14/07/2014 11:11, Roger Mills wrote:
On 13/07/2014 22:55, Tim Watts wrote:

Yes - a 2-way pull cord:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MK3192.html

+1

We used to have one over the bed in our bedroom to provide 2-way
switching in conjunction with a wall switch.

Tim/Roger .... cheers guys ... that's what I need.

Very standard item - even B&Q probably have one in stock

It's quite likely that they're *all* made as 2-way for simplicity - and
that you then ignore the third connection when using it on a 1-way circuit.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
On 14/07/2014 12:19, Tim Watts wrote:
On 14/07/14 11:51, Rick Hughes wrote:
On 14/07/2014 11:11, Roger Mills wrote:
On 13/07/2014 22:55, Tim Watts wrote:

Yes - a 2-way pull cord:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MK3192.html

+1

We used to have one over the bed in our bedroom to provide 2-way
switching in conjunction with a wall switch.

Tim/Roger .... cheers guys ... that's what I need.

Very standard item - even B&Q probably have one in stock

It's quite likely that they're *all* made as 2-way for simplicity - and
that you then ignore the third connection when using it on a 1-way
circuit.

Trust me. They are not all 2 way. Just like 1 gang light switches only 90%
of pull switches only need to be operated in a 1 way switching operation.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/07/2014 22:30, ARW wrote:
[...]

Fairy Nuff. You should know!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 Jul 2014 22:30:55 +0100, ARW wrote:

It's quite likely that they're *all* made as 2-way for simplicity - and
that you then ignore the third connection when using it on a 1-way
circuit.

Trust me. They are not all 2 way. Just like 1 gang light switches only 90%
of pull switches only need to be operated in a 1 way switching operation.

Given that the difference in price is a matter of pence, surely it would
make sense for stocking simply to have all 2-way, at least for plates - pull
might be less beneficial. Plates are molded for 2-way, so it's just a bit of
brass.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"PeterC" wrote in message
On Tue, 15 Jul 2014 22:30:55 +0100, ARW wrote:

It's quite likely that they're *all* made as 2-way for simplicity - and
that you then ignore the third connection when using it on a 1-way
circuit.

Trust me. They are not all 2 way. Just like 1 gang light switches only
90%
of pull switches only need to be operated in a 1 way switching operation.

Given that the difference in price is a matter of pence, surely it would
make sense for stocking simply to have all 2-way, at least for plates -
pull
might be less beneficial. Plates are molded for 2-way, so it's just a bit
of
brass.

I only ever buy 2 way switches for unknown jobs and for general van stock as
just one cockup of needing a 2 way switch but only having a one way switch
when you are miles from the wholesalers makes it worth while me spending the
extra few pence. It is about 20 pence extra for a 2 way pull switch and
about 10 pence for a wall switch.

For known jobs then I often buy what is required.

Take the savings of buying 1 way switches on a second fix of 24 houses that
each use 6 x 1 gang 1 way wall switches and 1 x 1 gang pull switch.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Jul 2014 22:07:49 +0100, ARW wrote:

"PeterC" wrote in message
[...]

Yes - could be getting on for a hundred quid.
My house was rewired with 1-way. So far I've had to replace 4 with 2-way and
now have a stock of 1-way.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"PeterC" wrote in message
[...]

Well about £20:-). 6 x 10 pence and 1 x 20 pence saving per house = 80
pence. 24 x 0.8 = £19.20. But imaging that you are fitting many thousands of
lightwswitches in a year

May I ask why have you had to replace your one way switches with two way
switches? You must have had to add new cables to make use of the two way
switching.

Cheers

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"PeterC" wrote in message
[...]

Right, I over-estimated the extra bit for 2-way.

May I ask why have you had to replace your one way switches with two way
switches? You must have had to add new cables to make use of the two way
switching.

Cheers

Hall/landing was 1-way to hall on the landing so that was made full 2-way.
******* of a job - there's still some of my skin on the wall.
Bedroom has a secong light fitting by the bed, with pull-switch.
Kitchen had single fitting, now has 2 HF 14W tubes, independently switched.
Lounge has a wall light added (80 lumen LED for use when TV's on), 2-way by
each of the 2 doors.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

heat to AC changeover? micky Home Repair 10 June 23rd 14 06:53 PM
auto-changeover propane regulator Dan Lanciani Home Repair 30 June 30th 10 04:13 AM
Changeover contactor Rupert UK diy 6 August 15th 05 02:04 PM
AT PSU changeover to ATX PSU. Power button-buy one? Darren Electronics Repair 8 February 7th 05 05:18 PM
Source for 100A changeover "switch" Dave S UK diy 3 October 4th 04 10:11 PM