Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Raised toilet pedestal - wood to plastic

My mum has arthritis of the knees, so when we bought our house and did it up,
one of the things we did was to raise toilets about 2 inches by building them on
a simple plywood (layered) pedestal.

The wood was bare but after 6 years mopping/cleaning/water it has started to
"suffer", and needs replacing.

What I would like to do is replace the pedestal with a solid white plastic
block. The advantage of this is that it would last longer, is easier to clean,
and isn't troubled by the odd splash of water.

What I want is about 300mm wide, 450m long and 50mm high.

I would undo the toilet base floor screws (these go into the existing wood
pedestal), remove the toilet, remove the pedestal, clean up/repair/level floor
board, fix the plastic pedestal to the floor, and refix the toilet with the base
screws going into and through the pedestal to secure the base. I might fashion a
recess to match the toilet base shape so it sits in the block with a raised side
perimeter so as to avoid any slight lateral movement.

The trouble I am having is finding a suitable plastic block. Most craft plastic
blocks are too small. Where can I source this?

To replace with wood would be easier to source, but then I have to worry about
sealing it. Advice on how best to do this would also be appreciated.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
S R wrote:

The trouble I am having is finding a suitable plastic block. Most craft plastic
blocks are too small. Where can I source this?

To replace with wood would be easier to source, but then I have to worry about
sealing it. Advice on how best to do this would also be appreciated.

Have you ruled out a toilet plinth? They do seem rediculously expensive
admittedly...

http://www.heatandplumb.com/acatalog...t_Plinths.html

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, July 12, 2014 12:05:57 PM UTC+1, S R wrote:
The trouble I am having is finding a suitable plastic block. Most craft
plastic blocks are too small. Where can I source this?

They tend not to be white, but you can get plastic 'wood' extrusions intended for making garden furniture etc from plastic recyclers.

http://ecoplasticwood1-px.rtrk.co.uk/lumber-profiles/
http://www.britishrecycledplastic.co...stic-lumber-2/ (minimum order £300 + VAT but perhaps they'd so a 'sample?)

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/14 12:05, S R wrote:
[...]

You may find that, in fact, using wood covered in plastic is a better bet.

The sort of thing I hand in mind was a bit of wood glassed up and
finished with car body filler. And a tough epoxy paint

Seriously large blocks of plastic are quite expensive.

http://www.directplasticsonline.co.u.../Natural/50mm/

for example will set you back ~ £150 for a 50mm x 500mm x500mm nylon block..

HDPE a bit less.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/2014 12:05, S R wrote:
[...]

I had to do something similar when our 90+ year-old father-in-law came
to live with us.

I made a frame out of 4 x 3 timber (or somesuch) rather than a solid
plinth, and chamfered the corners so that it was almost the same size
and shape as the pedestal. I painted it white all over (primer,
undercoat and topcoat). It got a bit splashed, but it lasted ok for the
4 years for which f-i-l survived.

You can also get raised seats such as
http://www.completecareshop.co.uk/to...FVMRtAoddlsAGg
but you'd then have to mount the pedestal on the floor, and the plumbing
may not be at the right height. [Water to the cistern is easy, but turds
don't flow uphill very well if the soil pipe is too high!]
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

What about some kind of slab of decorative finish? Plastic blocks that big
and solid are hard to get and quite expensive, though one might find one at
a wholesaler who cuts stuff to size and has bits left over.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"S R" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You only need to give support around the edges as the toilet basin only has
a narrow rim that takes the weight. Perhaps you could fabricate something
rather than search for a block.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/14 13:10, Brian Gaff wrote:
What about some kind of slab of decorative finish? Plastic blocks that big
and solid are hard to get and quite expensive, though one might find one at
a wholesaler who cuts stuff to size and has bits left over.
Brian

Offcut of stone worktop? Thinking corian style synthetic which means the
OP might find a suitable colour.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/2014 12:05, S R wrote:
[...]

What's wrong with a stack of flooring tiles?

Possibly separated / bonded with silicone mastic?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxxx" wrote in message
On 12/07/2014 12:05, S R wrote:
[...]

or a stack of plastic chopping boards? easy to cut to shape, stick em
together with silicone, you could probably melt the edges gently to make it
look like one solid block (i'm thinking flame polishing as used on clear
perspex, not sure it'd work for the chopping board material, which is not
usually perspex)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
S R writes:
What I would like to do is replace the pedestal with a solid white plastic
block. The advantage of this is that it would last longer, is easier to clean,
and isn't troubled by the odd splash of water.

To add another suggestion, a cast-in-place concrete (or even mortar) block,
which is then tiled.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"S R" wrote in message
[...]

Cut a length of 3X2 into 450mm lengths and glue/screw two of them together,
then screw another 450 mm piece on each side to give you four parallel,
joined together blocks, this will be approximately the dimensions you
require, then clad the whole thing in white upvc which is available in
various widths, and around the edges use white upvc 50mm architave.
You can affix it all with 'no nails', then seal all joints with white
silicone sealant

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 12 Jul 2014 12:05:57 +0100, S R
wrote:

[...]

.....or you could consider a taller toilet basin. I've recently
installed one to avoid the dreaded plastic seat raisers. The 40+mm
extra height feels much more. Just a thought. Ours is a Burlington
Regal but I think I recall seeing a similar item in the Vitra brochure
but can't lay my hands on this at the moment.
Please reply to group - email address is not monitored
Ian