Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default how high to pile a skip

I have a 8 yard (cubic) skip with a door. We are sorting out the patio which was built too high years ago. We barrowed the soil type waste into the skip, then shut the door and piled up with broken concrete. Its level with the top of the skip and topped out with broken slabs that we found under the concrete. I would have buried the concrete in the soil a bit more, but I had people helping and so we just did it the fastest way possible.
Of course various folks always say "you can put more in than that", and previously I had a driver say "you can put more in than that mate".
However they obviously need a stable load, and a pile of soil above the level of the skip will hold together, but if I put more broken slabs on top the could slide off.
Also added to this, they now give you a form with instructions on ! For a skip ! Before you just got the skip and that was it. But I suppose new regs on recycling etc. are the reason for the paperwork. An the instructions say don't load higher than the top.
However, again, the various skips you see around are often piled very high - usually by builders - and they obviously get away with it.
I suppose its just common sense and they need a stable load and sometimes the drivers will pull a tarp or net over if they think it needs it.
So ...
How high should I pile the skip ?
I'll need another one at some point anyway, but not enough for a full load yet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/14 10:55, sm_jamieson wrote:
[...]

Don't take the ****. That's the basic rule.

And think of the driver - who does not want to be busted for dropping
crap all the way down the highway.

If you have more of a mound, level at the edges, about 12" higher in the
middle, usually no problem.

I often have offcuts of old OSB going in (used as shuttering or
something) or pavings slabs.

I insert those around the edges or the ends where it is lower to form a
6" high wall. That allows quite a bit more to go in without a) being an
obvious **** take, b) being unstable.

You can get away with a lot more (12-18" higher) if it's just light
stuff like celotex offcuts, pipe, plastic as the tarp will contain those.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 12 July 2014 10:55:39 UTC+1, sm_jamieson wrote:
I have a 8 yard (cubic) skip with a door.

When I've used an 8 yard skip before, I've been warned that if I overfill it with concrete and soil then the skip lorry won't be able to lift it and I'll have to take some off. So if that's all that's in it, I wouldn't add much more.

Matt
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/2014 10:55, sm_jamieson wrote:
[...]

What does the "form with instructions on" say?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

It's not only the load stability that's the problem. If you've got heavy
stuff like soil in it, even if it's only level with the top, he can have
problems lifting it onto the lorry as it's overweight. Most of the
"piled as high as we can" skips are full of light stuff like plumbing
and plasterboard.

You don't want the situation where he hooks up the chains and starts to
lift, at which point the lorry's front wheels come off the ground.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/14 12:58, John Williamson wrote:

You don't want the situation where he hooks up the chains and starts to
lift, at which point the lorry's front wheels come off the ground.

That's happened a couple of times with me.

However, the driver just extends the rear steadies out a bit more and
jacks then down harder.

The biggest risk IME is the load on the rear jacks will crack your drive
- or punch a hole in the pavement!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sm_jamieson" wrote in message
[...]

I recently filled one with soil. It said 'FILL LEVEL' on the side. Mine
was filled level but about two feet higher than the rim. I bevelled it and
whacked it with the back of a shovel to minimise debris falling off. I
wasn't about when it was collected but it went.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, July 12, 2014 12:36:04 PM UTC+1, Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

It says level and not above the height of the skip !
But that's always been the official rule.
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

You should have got in the skip and trampled the soil flat every 18 inches
or so, then added concrete and more soil and saved the slabs til last.

I always build up the sides with either slabs, old doors, boards, whatevers
going really but only about a foot.

I've never had a driver say anything about it, but one skip company around
here takes the **** by saying 'fill level and we mean *level*', anything
higher will be scraped off with the bar and left in the road / drive /
whatever

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in message ...

[...]

So, it's the skip company at fault and taking the **** for not understanding
what 'fill level' means?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Richard" wrote in message

So, it's the skip company at fault and taking the **** for not
understanding what 'fill level' means?

Yes, i think they are taking the ****, it's just a scheme to get you to hire
a bigger skip than you need - they don't get charged any extra for emptying
an overloaded skip rather than one that's only half full, they pay each time
they drive into the landfill, ergo it's just a money making scam

Every skip I've ever had has 'fill level' stencilled on the side but I've
never seen one actually filled level, and not just by builders, domestic
too.
This company is a stickler for enforcing this, result is, they don't get
many bookings, so it doesn't save them any money over the course of a year,
it costs them money.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in message ...

"Richard" wrote in message

So, it's the skip company at fault and taking the **** for not
understanding what 'fill level' means?

Yes, i think they are taking the ****, it's just a scheme to get you to
hire a bigger skip than you need - they don't get charged any extra for
emptying an overloaded skip rather than one that's only half full, they pay
each time they drive into the landfill, ergo it's just a money making scam

Every skip I've ever had has 'fill level' stencilled on the side but I've
never seen one actually filled level, and not just by builders, domestic
too.
This company is a stickler for enforcing this, result is, they don't get
many bookings, so it doesn't save them any money over the course of a year,
it costs them money.

Not quite the same problem, but I like the solution:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj8dnOusHm4

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

official answer form any skip company will be level fill only ... they
won't get too upset by a slight mound but if you pile it up to much they
can simply refuse to take it.

Had skip last month and the driver was mentioning overfilling issue, the
previous week came to a grossly overfilled skip even had old doors stuck
in sides to allow more load.
They would not take it ... the guy refused to empty any, so they just
upended the skip where it was and left him with the pile on his drive.

Better skip this... HeyBub[_3_] Home Repair 9 May 26th 11 04:15 PM
Better skip this... DGDevin Home Repair 3 May 20th 11 11:12 PM
Better skip this... DGDevin Home Repair 0 May 15th 11 06:06 PM
skip... The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 4 February 6th 06 11:44 PM
Skip it OT. Weatherlawyer UK diy 26 February 6th 06 08:56 PM