Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Default Soakaway

We have some raised beds which border on to a lawn. The raised beds are
watered each night through an automatic irrigation system.

The grass at the side of the beds has become very, very wet - and really never
dries out: it is particularly noticeable in the morning after the night
watering session. The raised beds drain very, very well.

We have removed a strip of the lawn adjacent to the raised beds - about a foot
wide (and thrown the sods away: not particularly good quality grass) - we have
dug a trench - about a foot deep today - and going to deepen it another foot
tomorrow to make a soakaway.

It is our intention to fill the trench with aggregate(?) - put a permeable
membrane over the top and then top with a mix suitable for growing a fresh
strip of lawn.

Questions:

Is aggregate the correct thing to fill the trench with - or do I use course
gravel - or something else?

What mix (peat/sand/topsoil/???) should I top the trench off with prior to
sowing lawn seed?

How deep the "soil" layer?

Any other pointers please.

SoakAway - nowhere to put it! [email protected] UK diy 8 September 18th 12 06:20 PM
Soakaway needed? Ramsman UK diy 4 May 5th 12 10:37 AM
Soakaway [email protected] UK diy 1 February 10th 09 04:30 PM
soakaway Neil UK diy 2 November 26th 05 04:53 PM
Soakaway under conservatory bigbrian UK diy 13 September 10th 04 10:44 PM