Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fuel can in hot car

Yesterday I took my fuel can (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anti-Spill-P.../dp/B002XN0624) to the garage to fill it up so that the lawn mower could be refilled. But as I was putting the fuel in the car first, it occurred to me that I would be leaving my car in full daylight for the remainder of the day, and that it does get quite hot in there.

So I left it until the end of the day before filling up the fuel can, to avoid leaving the full fuel can in the car in the full glare of the sun.

Was I right to be cautious, or was I being overly paranoid?

The car doesn't have a covered boot, so whilst I could put the can in as shady as possible a spot in the car, I couldn't really prevent the can from being exposed to the greenhouse that is my car on a working summer day.

Matt
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/07/14 10:58, larkim wrote:
Yesterday I took my fuel can
(http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anti-Spill-P.../dp/B002XN0624)
to the garage to fill it up so that the lawn mower could be
refilled. But as I was putting the fuel in the car first, it
occurred to me that I would be leaving my car in full daylight for
the remainder of the day, and that it does get quite hot in there.

So I left it until the end of the day before filling up the fuel can,
to avoid leaving the full fuel can in the car in the full glare of
the sun.

Was I right to be cautious, or was I being overly paranoid?

I would day you were right.

Petrol vapour is explosive.

Minimise chances of it occurring and don't rely on no ignition sources
being available.

Few petrol cans are pressure tight and hot vapour does escape,

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes and petrol don't arf pong.
Was there not a case of a person burning himself when static ignited
petrol fumes a year or so back?
Brian

Email:

On 01/07/14 10:58, larkim wrote:
Yesterday I took my fuel can
(
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

Yes and petrol don't arf pong.

Diesel is ever worse.

On 01/07/14 10:58, larkim wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 01/07/14 10:58, larkim wrote:
[...]

And in case it hasn't been metioned elsewhere, unleaded petrol is
[apparently] far more carcinogenic than leaded due to the additives that
they use to replace the lead content - and shouldn't be stored in a car boot
or sealed room on a regular basis or for long periods of time.

Please don't ask me for links, but the info us from a HSE course that I and
several employees attended before I retired many years ago, which resulted
in the PITA of having to carry full AND empty petrol cans on open-backed
vehicles.

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 1 Jul 2014 22:23:05 +0100, Cash wrote:

And in case it hasn't been metioned elsewhere, unleaded petrol is
[apparently] far more carcinogenic than leaded due to the additives that
they use to replace the lead content - and shouldn't be stored in a car boot
or sealed room on a regular basis or for long periods of time.

Benzene? Banned from Plessey in the (?) 70s as carcinogenic then allowed in
petrol to solve the problem with no lead. Car is short for carcinogenerator.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
PeterC wrote:
Benzene? Banned from Plessey in the (?) 70s as carcinogenic then allowed
in petrol to solve the problem with no lead. Car is short for
carcinogenerator.

With diesels - ie most buses, taxis and many trains being very much worse.

--
*Preserve wildlife - Go pickle a squirrel*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 02 Jul 2014 17:01:49 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
PeterC wrote:
Benzene? Banned from Plessey in the (?) 70s as carcinogenic then allowed
in petrol to solve the problem with no lead. Car is short for
carcinogenerator.

With diesels - ie most buses, taxis and many trains being very much worse.

Indeed.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/07/14 10:58, larkim wrote:
Yesterday I took my fuel can
(http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anti-Spill-P.../dp/B002XN0624)
to the garage to fill it up so that the lawn mower could be
refilled. But as I was putting the fuel in the car first, it
occurred to me that I would be leaving my car in full daylight for
the remainder of the day, and that it does get quite hot in there.

So I left it until the end of the day before filling up the fuel can,
to avoid leaving the full fuel can in the car in the full glare of
the sun.

Was I right to be cautious, or was I being overly paranoid?

I would day you were right.

Petrol vapour is explosive.

Minimise chances of it occurring and don't rely on no ignition sources
being available.

Few petrol cans are pressure tight

The traditional WW2 jerrycan style are.

You do get a considerable whoosh when
you open it a times in the summer.

and hot vapour does escape,

Only with it where you deliberately open it with those.

The car doesn't have a covered boot, so whilst I could put the can in
as shady as possible a spot in the car, I couldn't really prevent the
can from being exposed to the greenhouse that is my car on a working
summer day.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/07/14 10:58, larkim wrote:
Yesterday I took my fuel can
(http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anti-Spill-P.../dp/B002XN0624)
to the garage to fill it up so that the lawn mower could be
refilled. But as I was putting the fuel in the car first, it
occurred to me that I would be leaving my car in full daylight for
the remainder of the day, and that it does get quite hot in there.

So I left it until the end of the day before filling up the fuel can,
to avoid leaving the full fuel can in the car in the full glare of
the sun.

Was I right to be cautious, or was I being overly paranoid?

The car doesn't have a covered boot, so whilst I could put the can in
as shady as possible a spot in the car, I couldn't really prevent the
can from being exposed to the greenhouse that is my car on a working
summer day.

Matt

In the "old days" everyone kept a 1-2 gallon can of petrol in the car.

If it's shaded and upright it will be fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 01 Jul 2014 11:14:03 +0100, Tim Watts
wrote:

The car doesn't have a covered boot, so whilst I could put the can in
as shady as possible a spot in the car, I couldn't really prevent the
can from being exposed to the greenhouse that is my car on a working
summer day.

Matt

In the "old days" everyone kept a 1-2 gallon can of petrol in the car.

running board,

If it's shaded and upright it will be fine.

In some estates and hatch backs shading could be difficult.
An answer could be a fuel can of less than normal size,you can get
smaller ones for motorcycle use. And place that in one of those
plastic insulated picnic boxes or large cool bags with some of those
pre frozen gel packs or if there is enough room just a plastic milk
container filled with water and stuck in the deep freeze for a while
will do the same job for some hours.

Whether that is a practical solution may depend on how thirsty the
OP's mowers is. That's igonoring any protests from another half about
using the household inventory of domestic equipment for a use they
don't appove of.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 1 Jul 2014 02:58:21 -0700 (PDT), larkim wrote:

Was I right to be cautious, or was I being overly paranoid?

Bruncefield.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Yesterday I took my fuel can (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anti-Spill-P.../dp/B002XN0624) to the garage to fill it up so that the lawn mower could be refilled. But as I was putting the fuel in the car first, it occurred to me that I would be leaving my car in full daylight for the remainder of the day, and that it does get quite hot in there.

So I left it until the end of the day before filling up the fuel can, to avoid leaving the full fuel can in the car in the full glare of the sun.

Was I right to be cautious, or was I being overly paranoid?

The car doesn't have a covered boot, so whilst I could put the can in as shady as possible a spot in the car, I couldn't really prevent the can from being exposed to the greenhouse that is my car on a working summer day.

Matt

No you are not being paranoid. Many years ago I had a Datsun

hatchback, no boot as such, and I always kept a gallon of petrol in a

purpose-made low-profile metal petrol can behind the back seat. On

arriving home late one afternoon, when the car had been parked in the

hot sun all day, I noticed that the petrol can was actually bulging,

so I thought I'd just release the pressure before putting the car in

the garage. But the pressure was so high that as I loosened the cap it

blew right off, and the can went off like a foam fire extinguisher. A

jet of petrol foam, about two inches wide, shot out of the can like a

fountain and went about six feet into the air, and continued for

several seconds before the can finally emptied. The petrol was

obviously well above it's boiling point and instantly boiled as the

cap was released. I was absolutely drenched in petrol. I count myself

very lucky that there wasn't a spark caused by static or whatever when

the can popped like that, because at best I would have been very badly

burnt, and at worst died from burns. It's an experience I shan't ever

forget!

Never, ever, keep a can of petrol exposed in a hot car! I'm not sure

I'd even keep a can in a closed car boot.

--

Chris

Wow, terrifying Chris!

I'm glad I'm not just being all "'elf and safety gorn maad"!!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:
[...]

I'd say 'never open anything that is so obviously under pressure unless
you know what to expect' Let it cool down first.

--
*WHERE DO FOREST RANGERS GO TO "GET AWAY FROM IT ALL?"

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Chris Hogg
writes
On Tue, 01 Jul 2014 13:09:47 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

I'd say 'never open anything that is so obviously under pressure unless
you know what to expect' Let it cool down first.

Well, yes, but it was the end of a hot day, I was tired, and the brain
cell wasn't functioning too well I guess!

And your hindsight goggles were in the other coat ;-)

A useful warning, thanks for sharing.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I've never seen anything remotely like that, the BP of petrol is about
95 C. Certainly "legal" plastic containers of petrol go quite bulgy in a
hot car. I don't routinely carry spare fuel in cars any more but I
sometimes have a full container in a car for a few hours.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

That BP would be at atmospheric pressure though. Significantly different in a container in which the pressure had risen.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/07/14 15:08, larkim wrote:
On Tuesday, 1 July 2014 15:07:17 UTC+1, larkim wrote:

That BP would be at atmospheric pressure though. Significantly different in a container in which the pressure had risen.

Let's forget posted that shall we...

lol

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I've seen the top blow off a metal can when it was loosened a turn or
two. Scary to say the least
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 01 Jul 2014 15:15:07 +0100, stuart noble wrote:

I've seen the top blow off a metal can when it was loosened a turn or
two. Scary to say the least

At a guess, that's why metal 10l and 20l jerry cans don't have screwtops,
but have the bayonet-style hinged lids. The lid CANNOT, physically, open
until some point after the pressure's been released.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I've never got anything like that with the WW2 style jerrycans.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ever expanding google gropes **** snipped

Let's forget posted that shall we...

I've seen the top blow off a metal can when it was loosened a turn or
two. Scary to say the least

Can some of you buggers snip the ever expanding GG **** please. It's
dead boring having to scroll through pages of blank lines just to see a
one-liner.

I firmly echo that request its a PITA to scroll down and further still
for a one of two line reply. I'm more akin to skip that post and go to
the next easily readable one!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/07/14 15:07, larkim wrote:

That BP would be at atmospheric pressure though. Significantly different in a container in which the pressure had risen.

Yes, the BP would be *higher* not lower.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 01 Jul 2014 15:12:48 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

That BP would be at atmospheric pressure though. Significantly
different in a container in which the pressure had risen.

Yes, the BP would be *higher* not lower.

Only while it's still pressurised. Take away the pressure and
whoosh...

Think car cooling systems, they can still go whoosh when still hot
but below 100C. Maybe there is something like a fizzy drink
mechanisium taking place? Under pressure more air gets dissolved into
the fluid, remove the pressure and the air comes out of the fluid all
of a whoosh.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/07/14 18:18, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 01 Jul 2014 15:12:48 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

That BP would be at atmospheric pressure though. Significantly
different in a container in which the pressure had risen.

Yes, the BP would be *higher* not lower.

Only while it's still pressurised. Take away the pressure and
whoosh...

Think car cooling systems, they can still go whoosh when still hot
but below 100C. Maybe there is something like a fizzy drink
mechanisium taking place? Under pressure more air gets dissolved into
the fluid, remove the pressure and the air comes out of the fluid all
of a whoosh.

Indeed - but there's no way that petrol got to 95C!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/07/2014 18:18, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 01 Jul 2014 15:12:48 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

That BP would be at atmospheric pressure though. Significantly
different in a container in which the pressure had risen.

Yes, the BP would be *higher* not lower.

Only while it's still pressurised. Take away the pressure and
whoosh...

Think car cooling systems, they can still go whoosh when still hot
but below 100C. Maybe there is something like a fizzy drink
mechanisium taking place? Under pressure more air gets dissolved into
the fluid, remove the pressure and the air comes out of the fluid all
of a whoosh.

Fizzy drink is carbon dioxide, which is quite soluble in water under
pressure. Air, OTOH, is not particularly soluble either in water or in
hydrocarbons.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Tue, 01 Jul 2014 15:12:48 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

That BP would be at atmospheric pressure though. Significantly
different in a container in which the pressure had risen.

Yes, the BP would be *higher* not lower.

Only while it's still pressurised. Take away the pressure and
whoosh...

Think car cooling systems, they can still go whoosh when still hot
but below 100C. Maybe there is something like a fizzy drink
mechanisium taking place?

Nothing like in fact.

Under pressure more air gets dissolved into the fluid, remove the
pressure and the air comes out of the fluid all of a whoosh.

Doesn't happen with petrol.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 01 Jul 2014 14:17:17 +0100, newshound wrote:

Certainly "legal" plastic containers of petrol go quite bulgy in a
hot car.

Legal plastic containers of petrol go quite bulgy in my (once-)black-
painted corrugated tin shed...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:
Hmm. I can't really believe my petrol can reached 95C. It would have
been to hot to pick up and surely I would have noticed. But whatever
the reason, the can went off like an oversized fire extinguisher and
pretty well emptied itself over me and the driveway.

It sounds like a very badly made can. After all why should the cap be
pushed off its thread when undone slightly - but not blown off when tight?

--
*Bigamy is having one wife too many - monogamy is the same

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 01 Jul 2014 19:47:26 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Tue, 01 Jul 2014 18:44:22 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:
Hmm. I can't really believe my petrol can reached 95C. It would have
been to hot to pick up and surely I would have noticed. But whatever
the reason, the can went off like an oversized fire extinguisher and
pretty well emptied itself over me and the driveway.

It sounds like a very badly made can. After all why should the cap be
pushed off its thread when undone slightly - but not blown off when
tight?

No idea of the make, but it was rather like one of these, but red.
http://tinyurl.com/nwcbv6v Happened some 35-40 years ago.

I have a vague recollection that the really old cans (red rectangular
ones in metal) had a slightly tapered thread.

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/07/2014 19:47, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Tue, 01 Jul 2014 18:44:22 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:
Hmm. I can't really believe my petrol can reached 95C. It would have
been to hot to pick up and surely I would have noticed. But whatever
the reason, the can went off like an oversized fire extinguisher and
pretty well emptied itself over me and the driveway.

It sounds like a very badly made can. After all why should the cap be
pushed off its thread when undone slightly - but not blown off when tight?

No idea of the make, but it was rather like one of these, but red.
http://tinyurl.com/nwcbv6v Happened some 35-40 years ago.

Not sure what features it has to make it "explosive proof".

I wasn't doubting your experience, just that unless the can had got up
to well over 100 C I can't see a physical mechanism to explain that.
Now, whether there might be a *chemical* mechanism, e.g. acid in the can
as well as petrol which resulted in a significant overpressure from
hydrogen, I don't know. There are probably quite good ways to "booby
trap" fuel cans, but I guess we should not be discussing that these days.

A BBC "effects" man once told me that the standard "exploding" car on
film/tv is done with a traditional five litre oil can containing petrol,
plus an ounce of gelignite.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/07/2014 23:37, newshound wrote:
On 01/07/2014 19:47, Chris Hogg wrote:

No idea of the make, but it was rather like one of these, but red.
http://tinyurl.com/nwcbv6v Happened some 35-40 years ago.

Not sure what features it has to make it "explosive proof"...

It has a metal mesh inside the tank, which spreads heat and is supposed
to prevent fuel exploding. It used to be touted as something you wanted
in your car if you took part in motor sport. There is a cut-away view of
the can he

http://www.firstbrands.co.uk/rhino-fuel-cans.html

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 1 July 2014 23:37:48 UTC+1, newshound wrote:
On 01/07/2014 19:47, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Tue, 01 Jul 2014 18:44:22 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

wrote:

In article ,

Chris Hogg wrote:

Hmm. I can't really believe my petrol can reached 95C. It would have

been to hot to pick up and surely I would have noticed. But whatever

the reason, the can went off like an oversized fire extinguisher and

pretty well emptied itself over me and the driveway.

It sounds like a very badly made can. After all why should the cap be

pushed off its thread when undone slightly - but not blown off when tight?

No idea of the make, but it was rather like one of these, but red.

http://tinyurl.com/nwcbv6v Happened some 35-40 years ago.

Not sure what features it has to make it "explosive proof".

I wasn't doubting your experience, just that unless the can had got up
to well over 100 C I can't see a physical mechanism to explain that.

Could the rapid expulsion of the pressurised air from the can create a simulateously low pressure zone around the surface of the (say) 60degC petrol, which then boils / expands exiting the can, further reducing pressure in the can? Or something similar?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"larkim" wrote in message
On Tuesday, 1 July 2014 23:37:48 UTC+1, newshound wrote:
On 01/07/2014 19:47, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Tue, 01 Jul 2014 18:44:22 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

wrote:

In article ,

Chris Hogg wrote:

[...]

No, that doesn't happen in a way that would produce the effect he got.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Sod that for a lark!!. Whenever petrol's needed we go down to the
filling station collect the juice and it comes straight back here.

I carry some dicey things around in my estate car but I'm buggered if
I'd want to go any distance with a can of Petrol on in the back even if
it was a very stout strong metal one with a leak proof filler cap and
most these days are flimsy plastic affairs...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/07/2014 11:45, tony sayer wrote:
Sod that for a lark!!. Whenever petrol's needed we go down to the
filling station collect the juice and it comes straight back here.

Since they opened a Morrisons within easy walking distance, my gardener
simply walks down with the can and hands me the receipt when I next see
him, rather than him relying upon me to remember to buy petrol on one of
my about once a fortnight visits to a filling station to buy diesel.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/07/2014 11:45, tony sayer wrote:

I carry some dicey things around in my estate car but I'm buggered if
I'd want to go any distance with a can of Petrol on in the back even if
it was a very stout strong metal one with a leak proof filler cap and
most these days are flimsy plastic affairs...

Mine is a plastic one, and it's more spherical than when it was new, but
it's still pretty stout. Never had problems with the cap either.

A can of diesel lives in the car, and the petrol comes with us on
holiday for stoves.