Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cladding a low block wall

I have a low garden wall consisting of three courses of standard-size
concrete blocks which I'd like to make look a bit less industrial. Does
anyone have any recommendations? Has anyone used this sort of stone
cladding:

http://tinyurl.com/ng4qdwx

or anything similar? Many thanks.

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jonathan" wrote:

Render?

Thanks for the suggestion. It's a possibility, of course, and I had
considered it: but it's a shade plain.

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/06/14 16:26, Bert Coules wrote:
"Jonathan" wrote:

Render?

Thanks for the suggestion. It's a possibility, of course, and I had
considered it: but it's a shade plain.

Bert

Don't be tempted to "pattern" the render - usually looks *very* ugly and
very 70's IME. However, plain render painted in a tasteful pastel or
white or even deep colour depending on the surroundings can look very
nice. Particularly if the render is rounded off on the edges rather than
sharp-edged.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jonathan" wrote:

Render?

Thanks for the suggestion. It's a possibility, of course, and I had
considered it: but it's a shade plain.

Bert

Don't be tempted to "pattern" the render - usually looks *very* ugly and
very 70's IME. However, plain render painted in a tasteful pastel or
white or even deep colour depending on the surroundings can look very
nice. Particularly if the render is rounded off on the edges rather than
sharp-edged.

I will add one caveat - "lumpy" render can look OK with a whitewash
style finish.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

Don't be tempted to "pattern" the render...

I shan't be. Someone along the street from me has done just this: a sort of
Artex-on-a-wall effect only nothing like so regular or controlled. I
thought at first it was an over-elaborate scratch coat and something else
would be going on top, but evidently not. It really doesn't look very good.

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

I will add one caveat - "lumpy" render can look OK with a whitewash style
finish.

That is (or perhaps was) quite a popular finish in these parts and you're
right, it looks not at all bad. I don't think it's correct for my
application though.

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Does it retain any garden or just a freestanding wall?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JimK wrote:

Does it retain any garden or just a freestanding wall?

It's the front wall of a raised bed 30 inches or so high (three courses of
standard hollow concrete blocks). Does that make an appreciable difference
as far as cladding it goes?

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/06/2014 10:27, Bert Coules wrote:
I have a low garden wall consisting of three courses of standard-size
concrete blocks which I'd like to make look a bit less industrial. Does
anyone have any recommendations? Has anyone used this sort of stone
cladding:

http://tinyurl.com/ng4qdwx

or anything similar? Many thanks.

Bert

I have a low 4 course concrete block wall outside, which is the edge of
my patio. To make that look more homley, I have let foliage just grow
all over it so its covered more or less completely now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bert Coules scribbled...

JimK wrote:

Does it retain any garden or just a freestanding wall?

It's the front wall of a raised bed 30 inches or so high (three courses of
standard hollow concrete blocks). Does that make an appreciable difference
as far as cladding it goes?

That's high enough to consider drainage through the wall.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bert Coules" wrote in message
news
I have a low garden wall consisting of three courses of standard-size
concrete blocks which I'd like to make look a bit less industrial. Does
anyone have any recommendations? Has anyone used this sort of stone
cladding:

http://tinyurl.com/ng4qdwx

or anything similar? Many thanks.

Bert

Not likely to be effective on a garden wall.
Render it with cement and make some sort of pattern on the finish before it
is set.
And/or get a fancy ivy or similar to cover it.

What a horrid pretentious house BTW.
Must be American. Only in America.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/06/2014 20:48, Bob H wrote:
On 27/06/2014 10:27, Bert Coules wrote:
I have a low garden wall consisting of three courses of standard-size
concrete blocks which I'd like to make look a bit less industrial. Does
anyone have any recommendations? Has anyone used this sort of stone
cladding:

http://tinyurl.com/ng4qdwx

or anything similar? Many thanks.

Bert

I have a low 4 course concrete block wall outside, which is the edge of
my patio. To make that look more homley, I have let foliage just grow
all over it so its covered more or less completely now.

I noticed a council wall recently where they had crazy paved the faces.
Looked ok in a park but probably naff in a domestic setting.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks to everyone for the new replies. Jabba, there is already drainage in
place through another wall of the raised bed, so cladding of this particular
side shouldn't have to accommodate it.

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stone cladding, as in stone slips / brick slips, is expensive £29-59/m2.

It might be cheaper to build a wall to your linking in front of the existing, plenty of places do yorkstone split face for less than that. Issue is usually pallet cost, altho shop around.

You could (I think) thincoat render, may need exp mesh, that can soften things. Just like painting render.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stone cladding, as in stone slips / brick slips, is expensive £29-59/m2.

It is pricier than I first imagined.

It might be cheaper to build a wall to your linking in front of the
existing...

That's certainly a possibility. Thanks.

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 27 June 2014 19:17:41 UTC+1, Bert Coules wrote:
JimK wrote:

Does it retain any garden or just a freestanding wall?

It's the front wall of a raised bed 30 inches or so high (three courses of

standard hollow concrete blocks). Does that make an appreciable difference

as far as cladding it goes?

Bert

I wouldn't render or paint it without damp proofing it BTDTGTTS

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JimK wrote:

I wouldn't render or paint it without damp proofing it...

That's something which hadn't occurred to me, so thanks.

BTDTGTTS

I had to look that up. I appreciate the addition to my acronym connection.

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 30 June 2014 20:10:21 UTC+1, Bert Coules wrote:
JimK wrote:

I wouldn't render or paint it without damp proofing it...

That's something which hadn't occurred to me, so thanks.

BTDTGTTS

I had to look that up. I appreciate the addition to my acronym connection.

Bert

you're welcome Sir

Jim K