Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

Default Colour laser printer (slightly OT)

Not really looking for "how to fix", I have a Dell 1320c which is
getting increasingly reluctant to connect, either by USB or network,
typically showing as "offline" from the computer end and "no paper" from
the printer end requiring a power down to clear.

I have a mono printer for most jobs and just use this occasionally for
simple graphics. Apart from Dells there seem to be similar HP, Brother,
and Lexmark models in the £90 to £130 region. Anyone got any
recommendations?

Also, anyone interested in an unused set of toner cartridges for the Dell?
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 19 Jun 2014 22:40:12 +0100, newshound wrote:

Not really looking for "how to fix", I have a Dell 1320c which is
getting increasingly reluctant to connect, either by USB or network,
typically showing as "offline" from the computer end and "no paper" from
the printer end requiring a power down to clear.

Have you had the covers off and removed any dust and muck? A false
"no paper" could indicate an iffy sensor input due to paper dust or
fluff. If one sensor is fluffed up others might be as well which
could be confusing it as "that combination can nver happen"

Anyone got any recommendations?

I'm happy with a HP CP1515n but that doesn't help you as it's
discontinued. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:
Not really looking for "how to fix", I have a Dell 1320c which is
getting increasingly reluctant to connect, either by USB or network,
typically showing as "offline" from the computer end and "no paper" from
the printer end requiring a power down to clear.

I have a mono printer for most jobs and just use this occasionally for
simple graphics. Apart from Dells there seem to be similar HP, Brother,
and Lexmark models in the £90 to £130 region. Anyone got any
recommendations?

Also, anyone interested in an unused set of toner cartridges for the Dell?

Amazon have an offer on the Brother laser printer, about £230 IIRC.
Seem to last about 3 to 4 years before the black toner needs replacing
in domestic usage, I am informed. Mine should be installed this weekend,
when the slave is available!
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 19 Jun 2014 22:40:12 +0100, newshound wrote:

[...]

I have a mono printer for most jobs and just use this occasionally for
simple graphics. Apart from Dells there seem to be similar HP, Brother,
and Lexmark models in the £90 to £130 region. Anyone got any
recommendations?

I've been entirely happy with my Brother HL4040CN, in terms of quality of
output and running costs. Brother also have Linux drivers available,
together with comprehensive instructions on how to use them, if that's
important to you.

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 19/06/2014 23:16, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 19 Jun 2014 22:40:12 +0100, newshound wrote:

Not really looking for "how to fix", I have a Dell 1320c which is
getting increasingly reluctant to connect, either by USB or network,
typically showing as "offline" from the computer end and "no paper" from
the printer end requiring a power down to clear.

Have you had the covers off and removed any dust and muck? A false
"no paper" could indicate an iffy sensor input due to paper dust or
fluff. If one sensor is fluffed up others might be as well which
could be confusing it as "that combination can nver happen"

Good thinking. In a similar vein I was already planning to open it up
and wiggle any boards or connectors, in that there seem to be I/O issues.

Anyone got any recommendations?

I'm happy with a HP CP1515n but that doesn't help you as it's
discontinued. B-)

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:
Not really looking for "how to fix", I have a Dell 1320c which is getting
increasingly reluctant to connect, either by USB or network, typically
showing as "offline" from the computer end and "no paper" from the
printer end requiring a power down to clear.

I have a mono printer for most jobs and just use this occasionally for
simple graphics. Apart from Dells there seem to be similar HP, Brother,
and Lexmark models in the £90 to £130 region. Anyone got any recommendations?

Also, anyone interested in an unused set of toner cartridges for the Dell?

Does the printer report anything useful if you connect to its web server
when it is in this state?

--
Toby... remove pants to reply
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 19/06/2014 22:40, newshound wrote:
Not really looking for "how to fix", I have a Dell 1320c which is
getting increasingly reluctant to connect, either by USB or network,
typically showing as "offline" from the computer end and "no paper" from
the printer end requiring a power down to clear.

I'd hazard a guess at the paper sensor. Do you really mean that it drops
off the network and won't show its status page or just refuses to accept
jobs or holds them waiting for there to be some paper?

Worth checking it isn't something daft in the network DHCP server giving
it the wrong IP address or something crazy like that.

I have a mono printer for most jobs and just use this occasionally for
simple graphics. Apart from Dells there seem to be similar HP, Brother,
and Lexmark models in the £90 to £130 region. Anyone got any
recommendations?

Pick one that has favourable reviews for aftermarket third party toners.

If it is only for colour graphics then you can get away with murder. The
best thing about the Dell 1320c was that on the right paper it could
produce pretty decent photographic images as well.

Also, anyone interested in an unused set of toner cartridges for the Dell?

Slightly. I also have a fast duplex mono printer for routine stuff.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 19/06/14 23:29, Capitol wrote:
newshound wrote:
Not really looking for "how to fix", I have a Dell 1320c which is
getting increasingly reluctant to connect, either by USB or network,
typically showing as "offline" from the computer end and "no paper" from
the printer end requiring a power down to clear.

Perhaps going to sleep?

I have a mono printer for most jobs and just use this occasionally for
simple graphics. Apart from Dells there seem to be similar HP, Brother,
and Lexmark models in the £90 to £130 region. Anyone got any
recommendations?

Also, anyone interested in an unused set of toner cartridges for the
Dell?

Amazon have an offer on the Brother laser printer, about £230 IIRC.
Seem to last about 3 to 4 years before the black toner needs replacing
in domestic usage, I am informed. Mine should be installed this weekend,
when the slave is available!

Yup.

Pick a printer sold to standard office environments.

These are not the same 'small office / home user' low volume models that
cost more to feed with replacement consumables. Typically these models
are supplied with high page 3K+ count cartridges from the outset, and
other goodies.

Have a look at www.printerland.co.uk in preference to John Lewis / Currys.

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 20/06/2014 09:06, Martin Brown wrote:
On 19/06/2014 22:40, newshound wrote:
Not really looking for "how to fix", I have a Dell 1320c which is
getting increasingly reluctant to connect, either by USB or network,
typically showing as "offline" from the computer end and "no paper" from
the printer end requiring a power down to clear.

I'd hazard a guess at the paper sensor. Do you really mean that it drops
off the network and won't show its status page or just refuses to accept
jobs or holds them waiting for there to be some paper?

Typically the status page claims it is offline while the display does not

Worth checking it isn't something daft in the network DHCP server giving
it the wrong IP address or something crazy like that.

I *am* having problems with this but that doesn't explain why, if I
remove the ethernet and plug in the USB (after power cycling) the laptop
no longer sees a PnP device (which it used to).

I have a mono printer for most jobs and just use this occasionally for
simple graphics. Apart from Dells there seem to be similar HP, Brother,
and Lexmark models in the £90 to £130 region. Anyone got any
recommendations?

Pick one that has favourable reviews for aftermarket third party toners.

If it is only for colour graphics then you can get away with murder. The
best thing about the Dell 1320c was that on the right paper it could
produce pretty decent photographic images as well.

Also, anyone interested in an unused set of toner cartridges for the
Dell?

Slightly. I also have a fast duplex mono printer for routine stuff.

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 20 Jun 2014 10:01:59 +0100 Adrian C wrote :
Yup.

Pick a printer sold to standard office environments.

These are not the same 'small office / home user' low volume models that
cost more to feed with replacement consumables. Typically these models
are supplied with high page 3K+ count cartridges from the outset, and
other goodies.

Have a look at www.printerland.co.uk in preference to John Lewis / Currys.

+1 A few months back I changed my baby Brother 2130 for their top of the
range 6180 http://www.printerland.co.uk/Brother...W-P123434.aspx and
am more than happy with it. Duplexing is great to have - I know paper costs
next to nothing but printing two pages on two sides of the same sheet keeps
things a lot more organised.

Melbourne, Australia www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 20/06/2014 10:09, newshound wrote:
On 20/06/2014 09:06, Martin Brown wrote:
On 19/06/2014 22:40, newshound wrote:
Not really looking for "how to fix", I have a Dell 1320c which is
getting increasingly reluctant to connect, either by USB or network,
typically showing as "offline" from the computer end and "no paper" from
the printer end requiring a power down to clear.

I'd hazard a guess at the paper sensor. Do you really mean that it drops
off the network and won't show its status page or just refuses to accept
jobs or holds them waiting for there to be some paper?

Typically the status page claims it is offline while the display does not

OK. It is only a hunch, but I have seen something like this with
peripherals (usually HP scanners IME) that don't handle wake from sleep
right after some unknown corruption of the Windows registry. If so then
power cycling the peripheral will generally fix it.

My solution was to completely uninstall its drivers then reboot. Check
that the faulty device configuration is completely gone from the
registry. A surprising number of installers are very untidy things.

Then plug the peripheral in and let Windows find the right version for
itself (or reinstall from CD/download if it is one of those tetchy
things that can be mistaken for something else on a bad day).

Worth checking it isn't something daft in the network DHCP server giving
it the wrong IP address or something crazy like that.

I *am* having problems with this but that doesn't explain why, if I
remove the ethernet and plug in the USB (after power cycling) the laptop
no longer sees a PnP device (which it used to).

That suggests a possible registry fault. Do you have any other PCs or
portables you can borrow to test the printer from?

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 20/06/2014 12:31, Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

It misbehaves on all my machines. Including a completely clean backup
laptop that it has never been set up on. Just does not recognise the USB
connection in that case.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 19 June 2014 22:40:12 UTC+1, newshound wrote:

Anyone got any recommendations?

Second-hand office printer. They are built to a higher spec than domestic printers and often have cheaper consumables. I got a s/h HP LaserJet 4650 (colour) with network card, duplexer, and 90% toner for £150.

dan.
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

En el artículo ,
newshound escribió:

It misbehaves on all my machines. Including a completely clean backup
laptop that it has never been set up on. Just does not recognise the USB
connection in that case.

Tried another cable?

It's unlikely to be the printer, IMO.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 20/06/2014 17:37, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo ,
newshound escribió:

It misbehaves on all my machines. Including a completely clean backup
laptop that it has never been set up on. Just does not recognise the USB
connection in that case.

Tried another cable?

It's unlikely to be the printer, IMO.

Yes. I don't disagree, but I will have a look inside before throwing it
in a skip.
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

newshound escribió:

It misbehaves on all my machines. Including a completely clean backup
laptop that it has never been set up on. Just does not recognise the USB
connection in that case.

Tried another cable?

It's unlikely to be the printer, IMO.

Yes. I don't disagree, but I will have a look inside before throwing it
in a skip.

If it recovers after power cycling I'd live with it until it really
expires completely. The print quality is still good by todays standards.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown