Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Slightly OT-smoking printer

Smoke coming out of the top of the HP1012 while printing is a bad thing,
right?

I suspect the only solution is buying a new one but if anyone knows the
likely and remediable causes of this phenomenon please share them.

What is in a laser printer that is worth saving and re-using apart from the
cartridge? The motor?

Thanks,

--
Michael Koblic
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 18:12:37 -0800, "Michael Koblic"
wrote:

Smoke coming out of the top of the HP1012 while printing is a bad thing,
right?

I suspect the only solution is buying a new one but if anyone knows the
likely and remediable causes of this phenomenon please share them.

What is in a laser printer that is worth saving and re-using apart from the
cartridge? The motor?

Thanks,

Nah,mine does it all the time, I just open the windows while
printing.

db
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Smoke coming out of the top of the HP1012 while printing is a bad thing,
right?

I suspect the only solution is buying a new one but if anyone knows the
likely and remediable causes of this phenomenon please share them.

What is in a laser printer that is worth saving and re-using apart from the
cartridge? The motor?

Thanks,

Likely something stuck on the fuser roller?????
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 18:12:37 -0800, Michael Koblic wrote:

Smoke coming out of the top of the HP1012 while printing is a bad thing,
right?

Is it more like white smoke or black? White smoke might be just steam
coming off moist paper. It doesn't have to be soaking wet, just extra
moisture that is evaporated by the fuser, and condenses outside of the
printer. This is normal and nothing to worry about.

Black/acrid smoke would be something stuck to the fuser; if that is the
case you need to open it up, let it cool and try to peel it off the
roller.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Przemek Klosowski" wrote in message
On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 18:12:37 -0800, Michael Koblic wrote:

Smoke coming out of the top of the HP1012 while printing is a bad thing,
right?

Is it more like white smoke or black? White smoke might be just steam
coming off moist paper. It doesn't have to be soaking wet, just extra
moisture that is evaporated by the fuser, and condenses outside of the
printer. This is normal and nothing to worry about.

Black/acrid smoke would be something stuck to the fuser; if that is the
case you need to open it up, let it cool and try to peel it off the
roller.

I think you nailed it.

I noticed the smoke after inserting a stack of new paper which until then
was kept in a relatively damp place (well, this *is* Campbell River!). I was
also printing a unusually large number of copies and noticed the white smoke
weel into the process. Also, the paper was curling more than usual.

I repeated the trial today after I had given the paper chance to dry
somewhat. There is still white smoke, but only if you look for it with a
flashlight. For all I know the printer has always been smoking and I just
was not aware or it. I think I shall keep a steady nerve and a close eye on
it for the time being.

You may have saved me $$$ in which case I owe you a beer.

--
Michael Koblic
Campbell River, BC

SDS drill smoking [email protected] UK diy 3 November 15th 08 01:34 PM
OT Smoking in bed Terry Home Repair 1 February 6th 07 07:32 AM
More smoking advice pls marcb UK diy 19 August 22nd 05 10:12 PM
Here it is. The smoking gun. Greg Palast UK diy 2 May 13th 05 09:22 PM
smoking worktop Ben Blaukopf UK diy 6 January 1st 05 08:40 AM