Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Warped Wood

I have a bird box and the roof of it has become very warped - I guess due to
the varying weather conditions over a couple of years.
Part of the roof is approx 8inches by 6 inches by 3/4 inch and is now quite
bent. What could I soak this piece in to "soften it up" before screwing back
on to the box.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/06/14 13:22, Jimmy wrote:

I have a bird box and the roof of it has become very warped - I guess due to
the varying weather conditions over a couple of years.
Part of the roof is approx 8inches by 6 inches by 3/4 inch and is now quite
bent. What could I soak this piece in to "soften it up" before screwing back
on to the box.

hot water

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/06/14 13:22, Jimmy wrote:

I have a bird box and the roof of it has become very warped - I guess
due to
the varying weather conditions over a couple of years.
Part of the roof is approx 8inches by 6 inches by 3/4 inch and is now
quite
bent. What could I soak this piece in to "soften it up" before
screwing back
on to the box.

hot water

Or if you have a wallpaper stripper, steam it. (place in a plastic bag,
stick hose from stripper into one end and tie the bag round it, then
make a small exit hole in the other end. After half an hour or so it
will be quite malleable.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've never had much luck with that. I steamed a bit of wood that was coping
for fence that kept warping, but no matter what after some months it pulled
all the nails out again.
I speculated it was the natural oils in the wood that dried out and made it
deform.
Brian

Email:

"Jimmy" wrote in message

I have a bird box and the roof of it has become very warped - I guess due
the varying weather conditions over a couple of years.
Part of the roof is approx 8inches by 6 inches by 3/4 inch and is now
quite
bent. What could I soak this piece in to "soften it up" before screwing
back
on to the box.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 12/06/14 13:22, Jimmy wrote:

I have a bird box and the roof of it has become very warped - I guess
due to
the varying weather conditions over a couple of years.
Part of the roof is approx 8inches by 6 inches by 3/4 inch and is now
quite
bent. What could I soak this piece in to "soften it up" before
screwing back
on to the box.

hot water

Or if you have a wallpaper stripper, steam it. (place in a plastic bag,
stick hose from stripper into one end and tie the bag round it, then make
a small exit hole in the other end. After half an hour or so it will be
quite malleable.

Does the box have sentimental value or something?
just asking as maybe it'd be easier to just replace the roof board, or build
a new box completely?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 12 Jun 2014 13:22:26 +0100, Jimmy wrote:

I have a bird box and the roof of it has become very warped ...

Cupped or warped? I would expect a bit of 8 x 6 x 3/4 to warp much
but it could cup depending on where in the log it has been cut from.

If it's cupped put it on cup down an maybe pull it down a bit flat
with screw in the centre, but be careful it might crack. But TBH
unless it's a huge gap, 3/8", I wouldn't be too fussed I doubt the
birds are. They'll be more interested in the entrance hole size.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, June 12, 2014 4:24:31 PM UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jun 2014 13:22:26 +0100, Jimmy wrote:

I have a bird box and the roof of it has become very warped ...

Cupped or warped? I would expect a bit of 8 x 6 x 3/4 to warp much
but it could cup depending on where in the log it has been cut from.
If it's cupped put it on cup down an maybe pull it down a bit flat
with screw in the centre, but be careful it might crack. But TBH
unless it's a huge gap, 3/8", I wouldn't be too fussed I doubt the
birds are. They'll be more interested in the entrance hole size.

Don't try flattening it with screws/nails, it'll just break. Just use it as it is.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jimmy" wrote in message

I have a bird box and the roof of it has become very warped - I guess due
the varying weather conditions over a couple of years.
Part of the roof is approx 8inches by 6 inches by 3/4 inch and is now
quite
bent. What could I soak this piece in to "soften it up" before screwing
back
on to the box.

Nothing you can do really.
Warping so badly arises because the plank was incorrectly cut from the tree.
Replace it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 12 Jun 2014 19:28:43 +0100, "harryagain"
wrote:

"Jimmy" wrote in message
.. .

I have a bird box and the roof of it has become very warped - I guess due
the varying weather conditions over a couple of years.
Part of the roof is approx 8inches by 6 inches by 3/4 inch and is now
quite
bent. What could I soak this piece in to "soften it up" before screwing
back
on to the box.

Nothing you can do really.
Warping so badly arises because the plank was incorrectly cut from the tree.
Replace it.

Not true at all: as The Natural Philosopher and others suggested, I put the
wood in boiling water, weighted down, left it over night and it is now quite
pliable (most of the warping actually reversed on its own). I have just
clamped it in vice to make edges parallel, and will re attach to box later
today. Thanks for suggestions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 13 Jun 2014 07:51:43 +0100, Jimmy wrote:

Not true at all: as The Natural Philosopher and others suggested, I put
the wood in boiling water, weighted down, left it over night and it is
now quite pliable (most of the warping actually reversed on its own).

Yeah but now it's soaking wet, wait until it has fully dried out
again.

I have just clamped it in vice to make edges parallel, and will re
attach to box later today.

Think you'd be better off firmly fixing it back whilst it's still wet
and pliable. Once back outside with varying humidities it'll start
moving again.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jimmy" wrote in message
On Thu, 12 Jun 2014 19:28:43 +0100, "harryagain"

wrote:

"Jimmy" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

It will just warp again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Or split if clamped. Just hope you get lots of small splits and not one
big one
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Jimmy" wrote in message

[...]

Wot a lot of fuss, just replace it with something that does not mind
weather cedar or summat. (although if you were in australia the cockies
would eat it)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Gazz" wrote in message ...

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 12/06/14 13:22, Jimmy wrote:

I have a bird box and the roof of it has become very warped - I guess
due to
the varying weather conditions over a couple of years.
Part of the roof is approx 8inches by 6 inches by 3/4 inch and is now
quite
bent. What could I soak this piece in to "soften it up" before
screwing back
on to the box.

hot water

Or if you have a wallpaper stripper, steam it. (place in a plastic bag,
stick hose from stripper into one end and tie the bag round it, then make
a small exit hole in the other end. After half an hour or so it will be
quite malleable.

Does the box have sentimental value or something?
just asking as maybe it'd be easier to just replace the roof board, or
build a new box completely?

You could go to B&Q and buy a new piece of warped wood-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/06/2014 15:57, Brian Gaff wrote:
I've never had much luck with that. I steamed a bit of wood that was coping
for fence that kept warping, but no matter what after some months it pulled
all the nails out again.
I speculated it was the natural oils in the wood that dried out and made it
deform.
Brian

You get more "holding force" with screws
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
"Gazz" wrote in message ...

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 12/06/14 13:22, Jimmy wrote:

[...]

i did actually think about posting "put a B&Q badge on it, then everyone
will think it's supposed to look like it does"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 13 Jun 2014 16:25:38 +0100, "harryagain"
wrote:

snip

Not true at all: as The Natural Philosopher and others suggested, I put
the
wood in boiling water, weighted down, left it over night and it is now
quite
pliable (most of the warping actually reversed on its own). I have just
clamped it in vice to make edges parallel, and will re attach to box later
today. Thanks for suggestions.

It will just warp again.

8 off 1.5 inch screws says it won't.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jimmy" wrote in message
On Fri, 13 Jun 2014 16:25:38 +0100, "harryagain"

wrote:

snip

Not true at all: as The Natural Philosopher and others suggested, I put
the
wood in boiling water, weighted down, left it over night and it is now
quite
pliable (most of the warping actually reversed on its own). I have just
clamped it in vice to make edges parallel, and will re attach to box
later
today. Thanks for suggestions.

It will just warp again.

8 off 1.5 inch screws says it won't.

Then it will split.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 12 Jun 2014 13:22:26 +0100, Jimmy wrote:

I have a bird box and the roof of it has become very warped - I guess due to
the varying weather conditions over a couple of years.
Part of the roof is approx 8inches by 6 inches by 3/4 inch and is now quite
bent. What could I soak this piece in to "soften it up" before screwing back
on to the box.

I've just done a quick and dirty repair to a warped double-bass bridge
(the bass has to be used in a concert this weekend and there's no time
to prepare and fit a new bridge) by putting it in a pressure cooker
for five minutes on the max pressure setting then, while still hot and
pliable, clamping it onto a sturdy baseboard in the shape I want it to
take and leaving it overnight to cool and set in that position. A
double bass bridge is made of maple and is very roughly the size you
describe.

If you haven't got a pressure cooker, soak in very hot water for much
longer: it will take a long time for the heat to reach the innermost
fibres but again, once it has heated right through, clamp it
immediately but gently into the required shape. I generally
over-compensate a tad since the wood will probably spring back
slightly when the clamps come off.

Nick

Warped wood noname87 Home Repair 9 August 11th 11 02:04 AM
warped wood Sam UK diy 4 July 26th 08 01:29 PM
warped wood Doug Woodworking 14 March 10th 07 03:16 AM
warped platter-dry wood! [email protected] Woodturning 15 January 5th 05 01:06 AM
Warped wood Danny Boy Woodworking 11 April 28th 04 07:59 PM