Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Warped wood

I have a sailboat wooden dagger board that is warped (curved side to
side) on the end. Is there any way to fix this?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/9/2011 3:36 PM, noname87 wrote:
I have a sailboat wooden dagger board that is warped (curved side to
side) on the end. Is there any way to fix this?

Don't know what a dagger board is, but, yes....I've unwarped oak table
tops. Place wet newspaper or damp towel on the concave side....stay
with it, because it doesn't take long. Took about 15 min. for my table
top, IRRC. If too wet, or left too long, it will expand beyond flat and
be warped on the opposite side. When it is close to flat, remove the
paper or towel and clamp some strips of wood across it and leave it to
dry before unclamping.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a sailboat wooden dagger board
that is warped (curved side to side) on
the end. Is there any way to fix this?

Yes.... Buy a new boat.

There is NO way of fixing a warped dagger board....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/9/2011 5:15 PM, Norminn wrote:
On 8/9/2011 3:36 PM, noname87 wrote:
I have a sailboat wooden dagger board that is warped (curved side to
side) on the end. Is there any way to fix this?

Don't know what a dagger board is, but, yes....I've unwarped oak table
tops. Place wet newspaper or damp towel on the concave side....stay with
it, because it doesn't take long. Took about 15 min. for my table top,
IRRC. If too wet, or left too long, it will expand beyond flat and be
warped on the opposite side. When it is close to flat, remove the paper
or towel and clamp some strips of wood across it and leave it to dry
before unclamping.

I'd make careful drawings before you start, in case you (or local
cabinet shop) need to recreate it for you. If this is just a little
day-sailer, probably not real complex- a laminated glue-up with a couple
boards and maybe a gasket up top, to keep it from falling through the
hole. ISTR teak was the traditional wood of choice. But I am no sailboat
geek, so I could be wrong- my experience is from around 40 years ago,
when my family had a lake lot, and toy sailboats were consider less
annoying and cheaper than ski boats. I got pretty good at dropping the
belayed-off mast from an upside-down boat, righting the boat, getting
the mast on board, and dog-paddling the whole thing in disgust to the
nearest dock. (When kids are doing the sailing, you tie off everything.)

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/9/2011 6:27 PM, Papa Pat wrote:
I have a sailboat wooden dagger board
that is warped (curved side to side) on
the end. Is there any way to fix this?

Yes.... Buy a new boat.

There is NO way of fixing a warped dagger board....

'Dagger board' implies removable. When fixed, it is usually called a
keel. The term 'dagger' coming from how you poke it through the boat
when launching.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"noname87" wrote in message
I have a sailboat wooden dagger board that is warped (curved side to
side) on the end. Is there any way to fix this?

Make a new one out of marine ply. It won't fix. As the moisture content
change, wood warps depending on how it was cut.
You can use a piece of wood cut radially too. (ie from centre to perimeter
of the log.)
It's usual to use teak or similar rot proof wood.

Posted to alt.home.repair

This is for a small sailboat. The dagger board is roughly 36" X 11" X
3/4" and is made from
mahogany wood. When putting a straight edge accross the width at the
top (part of board that is in the boat when fully inserted), it is
flat. Placing a flat edge accross the width at the bottom shows a
3/16" gap at the center. This bow prevent the daggerboard from geing
able to slide into the slot.

One thought I had was to plan the outer 1/3 of the width until the bow
is removed. This would require removing at least 1/8".
Posted to alt.home.repair

noname87 wrote:
This is for a small sailboat. The dagger board is roughly 36" X 11" X
3/4" and is made from
mahogany wood. When putting a straight edge accross the width at the
top (part of board that is in the boat when fully inserted), it is
flat. Placing a flat edge accross the width at the bottom shows a
3/16" gap at the center. This bow prevent the daggerboard from geing
able to slide into the slot.

One thought I had was to plane the outer 1/3 of the width until the bow
is removed. This would require removing at least 1/8".

You could do that, no reason for the board to be the same thickness (or
width) at top and bottom. You could also rip a slot up the bow, fill with
thickened epoxy and clamp flat.

IMO, solid planks aren't good for things that are immersed. They warp.
Glass and resin covered ply works better.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Okay, a friend ran in through his planer and I now have a flat
daggerboard that needs to ne refinished.

Any recommendations for a varnish for this application?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 14:50:03 -0700 (PDT), noname87
wrote:

Okay, a friend ran in through his planer and I now have a flat
daggerboard that needs to ne refinished.

Any recommendations for a varnish for this application?

Check with a local Marine supply store.

West Marine online is one choice.

Home Maintenance Wood Finishes:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/TopCategoriesDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=11151&catalogId=10001

warped wood Sam UK diy 4 July 26th 08 01:29 PM
Warped Bent Twisted Wood k Woodworking 2 December 12th 07 03:12 AM
warped wood Doug Woodworking 14 March 10th 07 03:16 AM
warped platter-dry wood! [email protected] Woodturning 15 January 5th 05 01:06 AM
Warped wood Danny Boy Woodworking 11 April 28th 04 07:59 PM