Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Warped wood

On 8/9/2011 5:15 PM, Norminn wrote:
On 8/9/2011 3:36 PM, noname87 wrote:
I have a sailboat wooden dagger board that is warped (curved side to
side) on the end. Is there any way to fix this?

Don't know what a dagger board is, but, yes....I've unwarped oak table
tops. Place wet newspaper or damp towel on the concave side....stay with
it, because it doesn't take long. Took about 15 min. for my table top,
IRRC. If too wet, or left too long, it will expand beyond flat and be
warped on the opposite side. When it is close to flat, remove the paper
or towel and clamp some strips of wood across it and leave it to dry
before unclamping.

I'd make careful drawings before you start, in case you (or local
cabinet shop) need to recreate it for you. If this is just a little
day-sailer, probably not real complex- a laminated glue-up with a couple
boards and maybe a gasket up top, to keep it from falling through the
hole. ISTR teak was the traditional wood of choice. But I am no sailboat
geek, so I could be wrong- my experience is from around 40 years ago,
when my family had a lake lot, and toy sailboats were consider less
annoying and cheaper than ski boats. I got pretty good at dropping the
belayed-off mast from an upside-down boat, righting the boat, getting
the mast on board, and dog-paddling the whole thing in disgust to the
nearest dock. (When kids are doing the sailing, you tie off everything.)

--
aem sends...