Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacing pull cord on rotary mower.

Mountfield HP470.

The reel for the cord is riveted in position so is not easily removable and
I can't see how to replace the cord.

Any ideas?

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, June 2, 2014 1:35:50 PM UTC+1, mark wrote:
Mountfield HP470.

The reel for the cord is riveted in position so is not easily removable and

I can't see how to replace the cord.

Any ideas?

mark

A picture might help

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacing pull cord on rotary mower. + pic

"Jonathan" wrote in message
On Monday, June 2, 2014 1:35:50 PM UTC+1, mark wrote:
Mountfield HP470.

The reel for the cord is riveted in position so is not easily removable
and

I can't see how to replace the cord.
Any ideas?

A picture might help

Here's a pic

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6kvaeo9j1qmutxm/pullcord.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 2 Jun 2014 14:14:43 +0100, mark wrote:

The reel for the cord is riveted in position so is not easily
removable and I can't see how to replace the cord.

A picture might help

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6kvaeo9j1qmutxm/pullcord.jpg

That's a cover for the reel not the reel. B-) The whole cover that
it is riveted to will come off, see that nut beow the rivet and hole
for cord? Start there.

Looks very much like a Briggs and Stratten engine, wander over to the
B&S website and down load the exploded parts/engine manual for it.
That'll give plenty of information about how it all goes together.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 02 Jun 2014 14:53:14 +0100 (BST)
"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

On Mon, 2 Jun 2014 14:14:43 +0100, mark wrote:

The reel for the cord is riveted in position so is not easily
removable and I can't see how to replace the cord.

A picture might help

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6kvaeo9j1qmutxm/pullcord.jpg

That's a cover for the reel not the reel. B-) The whole cover that
it is riveted to will come off, see that nut beow the rivet and hole
for cord? Start there.

Looks very much like a Briggs and Stratten engine, wander over to the
B&S website and down load the exploded parts/engine manual for it.
That'll give plenty of information about how it all goes together.

I found the B&S folks extremely helpful when I needed info. on a model
that wasn't listed, they sent the stuff I wanted by return e-mail.

The model number is essential, though, it should be there on
the engine somewhere.

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Mon, 2 Jun 2014 14:14:43 +0100, mark wrote:

The reel for the cord is riveted in position so is not easily
removable and I can't see how to replace the cord.

A picture might help

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6kvaeo9j1qmutxm/pullcord.jpg

That's a cover for the reel not the reel. B-) The whole cover that
it is riveted to will come off, see that nut beow the rivet and hole
for cord? Start there.

Brilliant! Have removed the main cover and have removed reel. Just need to
get some cord.
Correct, it is a B&S engine.

Thanks

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 2 Jun 2014 15:06:24 +0100, Davey wrote:

The model number is essential, though, it should be there on
the engine somewhere.

Somewhere being the operative word. There are guides on the website
to show where they are found and which of the various numbers you'll
find is the model number.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 2 Jun 2014 15:25:13 +0100, mark wrote:

Brilliant! Have removed the main cover and have removed reel.

A pleasure.

Just need to get some cord.

100 m rolls on Amazon and other places for about £15.

Handle and 2 m of rope from B&Q £6.98.

Depending on your mower 2 m might be a bit short. It would be on mine
as the pull handle is held at a covienent height half way up the
handle not down on the engine casing.

Don't forget to thread it through the hole in the cover when
reassembling. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.