Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Magic lantern project

For an art installation: Two lanterns will project slightly different images from glass slides onto the same screen. One should fade up as, or after, the other fades down. The difficult bit is that this needs to happen automatically every few minutes, as the installation is to stand unattended as part of a gallery display.

When the lanterns were built they would have been lit by oil or gas; the plan is to use GU10 leds of about 5W 27deg beam behind each slide. Although low wattage dimmers are sold for these I cannot find anything which would do the job automatically. I have seen a string of fairy leds which fade up and down on their own though...

Any ideas where to look?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/05/2014 13:55, Peter wrote:
For an art installation: Two lanterns will project slightly different images from glass slides onto the same screen. One should fade up as, or after, the other fades down. The difficult bit is that this needs to happen automatically every few minutes, as the installation is to stand unattended as part of a gallery display.

When the lanterns were built they would have been lit by oil or gas; the plan is to use GU10 leds of about 5W 27deg beam behind each slide. Although low wattage dimmers are sold for these I cannot find anything which would do the job automatically. I have seen a string of fairy leds which fade up and down on their own though...

Any ideas where to look?

It would be some fairly simple control electronics to do this -
basically PWM so that one LED is on and the other is off.

Then set it up so that after a period one fades up as the other fades
down. For a pair with fade in/out you can have just one bipolar driven
output with one LED connected to +V and the other to OV.

Asking in one of the electronics groups will get you pointers to a
suitable circuit. BTW are you sure you don't want to use batwing bare
LEDs of about 5W - they are a much better approximation to a point
source than a GU10 (need heatsinking to stay alive though).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 31 May 2014 05:55:54 -0700 (PDT), Peter
wrote:

Any ideas where to look?

Ideal project for an Arduino so possibly your local school might use
it as a class project or do you have any hackerspaces (hackspaces) or
Makers near you? http://www.hackspace.org.uk/view/Main_Page
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, May 31, 2014 1:55:54 PM UTC+1, Peter wrote:

For an art installation: Two lanterns will project slightly different images from glass slides onto the same screen. One should fade up as, or after, the other fades down. The difficult bit is that this needs to happen automatically every few minutes, as the installation is to stand unattended as part of a gallery display.
When the lanterns were built they would have been lit by oil or gas; the plan is to use GU10 leds of about 5W 27deg beam behind each slide. Although low wattage dimmers are sold for these I cannot find anything which would do the job automatically. I have seen a string of fairy leds which fade up and down on their own though...
Any ideas where to look?

Many possible solutions exist. None are ready made afaik, so it'll take time & money.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter wrote:
For an art installation: Two lanterns will project slightly different
images from glass slides onto the same screen. One should fade up as,
or after, the other fades down. The difficult bit is that this needs
to happen automatically every few minutes, as the installation is to stand
unattended as part of a gallery display.
Any ideas where to look?

A small lighting controller with a programmed repeating fade - try the lighting forum at www.blue-room.org.uk

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 31 May 2014 13:55:54 UTC+1, Peter wrote:
For an art installation: Two lanterns will project slightly different images from glass slides onto the same screen. One should fade up as, or after, the other fades down. The difficult bit is that this needs to happen automatically every few minutes, as the installation is to stand unattended as part of a gallery display.

When the lanterns were built they would have been lit by oil or gas; the plan is to use GU10 leds of about 5W 27deg beam behind each slide. Although low wattage dimmers are sold for these I cannot find anything which would do the job automatically. I have seen a string of fairy leds which fade up and down on their own though...

Any ideas where to look?

Thanks for all ideas. I am out of my depth with electronics but following Peter's suggestion found a Build/Hacker group just around the corner from me! - had never heard of them. Hoping for an interested maker..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/05/2014 13:55, Peter wrote:
For an art installation: Two lanterns will project slightly different images from glass slides onto the same screen. One should fade up as, or after, the other fades down. The difficult bit is that this needs to happen automatically every few minutes, as the installation is to stand unattended as part of a gallery display.

When the lanterns were built they would have been lit by oil or gas; the plan is to use GU10 leds of about 5W 27deg beam behind each slide. Although low wattage dimmers are sold for these I cannot find anything which would do the job automatically. I have seen a string of fairy leds which fade up and down on their own though...

Any ideas where to look?

Have you considered a mechanical solution rather than an electronic one?

Something like a frosted glass plate of varying opacity which is moved
between lamp and slide, perhaps. Could either slide up and down or
rotate - depending on shape and layout.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ah, memories. I can remember at school, a clever magic lantern slide,
presumably with its levers made out of a transparent substance, ehre if you
cranked a handle a horse appeared to gallop .

Of course when cine arrived all of this stuff was killed off.
The light in the one we saw seemed to have had some kind of fuel, but it
smelt terrible. I bet health and safety would not allow it near a school
today!

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Peter" wrote in message
For an art installation: Two lanterns will project slightly different images
from glass slides onto the same screen. One should fade up as, or after, the
other fades down. The difficult bit is that this needs to happen
automatically every few minutes, as the installation is to stand unattended
as part of a gallery display.

When the lanterns were built they would have been lit by oil or gas; the
plan is to use GU10 leds of about 5W 27deg beam behind each slide. Although
low wattage dimmers are sold for these I cannot find anything which would do
the job automatically. I have seen a string of fairy leds which fade up and
down on their own though...

Any ideas where to look?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Ah, memories. I can remember at school, a clever magic lantern slide,
presumably with its levers made out of a transparent substance, ehre if
you cranked a handle a horse appeared to gallop .

Of course when cine arrived all of this stuff was killed off.
The light in the one we saw seemed to have had some kind of fuel, but it
smelt terrible. I bet health and safety would not allow it near a school
today!

yup, the only foul smelling things found in schools nowadays (apart from the
feral kids) comes from the bogs where the pupils are smoking squidgy black.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/05/2014 20:29, Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

It would be more in keeping with the lanterns.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/2014 19:13, Nightjar wrote:
[...]

Indeed.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Does anyone still use lantern toolposts Ignoramus14738 Metalworking 34 February 7th 10 01:27 AM
Lantern LED style Stormin Mormon Metalworking 0 January 1st 09 02:59 PM
DIY Garden Lantern Charlie UK diy 12 June 9th 07 12:50 AM
Odd PIR lantern John Rumm UK diy 5 February 25th 07 05:46 PM
Kids Project - Magic Wands charlie b Woodworking 3 August 19th 04 12:14 PM