Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default National Grid tripping out

On 30/05/2014 08:13, Brian Gaff wrote:
Was it windy? Normally I notice this sort of thing when its windy near where
the overhead wires run. Its my belief, though I cannot prove it that nobody
looks at theproximity of tree growth to over head wires anymore and so,
every so oftne they get hit and occasionally touch other wires, eventually
failing big time of course.
Brian

If the OP is living near the centre of Stoke, 90% of the domestic
supplies are under ground, with most of the rest running along the house
walls at first floor level. The only noticeable overhead cables there
are phone lines and the main grid feeds in at 132kV and above.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Not true - or at least not round here. Earlier this year they were
around cutting back the trees

In message , Brian Gaff
writes
Was it windy? Normally I notice this sort of thing when its windy near where
the overhead wires run. Its my belief, though I cannot prove it that nobody
looks at theproximity of tree growth to over head wires anymore and so,
every so oftne they get hit and occasionally touch other wires, eventually
failing big time of course.
Brian

--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/05/2014 23:46, Weatherlawyer wrote:
I live in Stoke on Trnt and have experienced millisecond blackouts from the national grig electricity supply for as long as I can remember. I have just had 3 such outages in the lst few minutes.

Overhead lines and inadequate maintainence of the trees overhanging
them. At least that is the most common problem up in North Yorkshire.

What is the problem besides criminally incompetent private companies not giving the sort of protection I can remember getting in the national National Grid.

The other one with legacy three phase vertically on local poles is when
the insulation perishes and dangles down from one phase to the next. In
bad weather this gives some really good arcing and sparking displays.

It has to get *really* bad before they come out and replace!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown