Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The Secret Life of the National Grid Wiring the Nation

Owain wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00vkjmy

Tues 9pm BBCFour

It’s a journey down the wires from the awe and opposition that greeted
the first pylons in 1928 and the novelty of electric light, to the
long lost glamour of the British nuclear industry and Margaret
Thatcher’s determination to keep power flowing during the miners’
strike. Contributors include author Will Self, urban planner Sir
Peter Hall and grid veterans on how Britain first banished darkness
and turned on the electric light.

Owain

I have just watched it on iPlayer.

Excellent.

I am not sure about the electricians that were running diagonal cables in a
wall at 23min 50 seconds though.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 16:27:07 +0100, ARWadsworth wrote:

I am not sure about the electricians that were running diagonal cables
in a wall at 23min 50 seconds though.

Was that in the new house with several hundred odd light fittings?
All down lighters I bet it will be like the black hole of calcutta.
Not to mention for ever changing bulbs unless they are are LED...

--
Cheers
Dave.