Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

Default Low cost pressure washer to stop moss ingress

Looking to buy a pressure washer at the cheaper end of the market. Its use
would be to periodically clean around the crack and crevices of our car that
doesn't see a lot of use these days. I can only think the green moss like
growth growing in the cracks is doing no good at all.

It seems the market leader (ie most common )is Karcher, and Currys do a
Karcher K2 compact model at £79, pressure is 110 bar.

Would this be as good as any to get, or would anyone recommend something
else? Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

T Blake scribbled...

Looking to buy a pressure washer at the cheaper end of the market. Its use
would be to periodically clean around the crack and crevices of our car that
doesn't see a lot of use these days. I can only think the green moss like
growth growing in the cracks is doing no good at all.

It seems the market leader (ie most common )is Karcher, and Currys do a
Karcher K2 compact model at £79, pressure is 110 bar.

Would this be as good as any to get, or would anyone recommend something
else? Thanks.

Be careful with a powerwasher on a car, you can force water into places
where you can't dry it out and it'll start the rusting process.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On 25/05/2014 20:15, Jabba wrote:
T Blake scribbled...

Looking to buy a pressure washer at the cheaper end of the market. Its use
would be to periodically clean around the crack and crevices of our car that
doesn't see a lot of use these days. I can only think the green moss like
growth growing in the cracks is doing no good at all.

It seems the market leader (ie most common )is Karcher, and Currys do a
Karcher K2 compact model at £79, pressure is 110 bar.

Would this be as good as any to get, or would anyone recommend something
else? Thanks.

Be careful with a powerwasher on a car, you can force water into places
where you can't dry it out and it'll start the rusting process.

Even more entertaining is when you use one in Winter, and it drives the
salt deep into the panel joints and past the water-keeping-out bits
round the bearings.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

"John Williamson" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks. Any other better suggestions then, on how to get the green moss out
of the tiny spaces?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On 25/05/2014 20:42, T Blake wrote:
[...]

spray it with wet and forget (a sort of moss killer) and the growth will
stop, using a soft brush and running water will clean out the residue.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

T Blake scribbled...

[...]

Same as you do on a path - bleach with a brush & bucket or soft garden
spray.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

[...]

I use a washing up brush.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

Mrcheerful wrote:
[...]

I always use the pressure washer, never had any rusting problems in 20
years.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

In message , T Blake
writes

Thanks. Any other better suggestions then, on how to get the green moss out
of the tiny spaces?

We are plagued. Our car sits outside, beneath trees overhanging from
our neighbour's garden. I clean the moss and general green stuff from
the car with warm water and an old toothbrush. Takes a little time, but
I only bother twice a year.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On Mon, 26 May 2014 09:23:10 +0100, News wrote:

In message , T Blake
writes

Thanks. Any other better suggestions then, on how to get the green moss
out of the tiny spaces?

We are plagued. Our car sits outside, beneath trees overhanging from
our neighbour's garden. I clean the moss and general green stuff from
the car with warm water and an old toothbrush. Takes a little time, but
I only bother twice a year.

Eastern European car wash; 6UKP, 20 minutes - job done!

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

In message , Chris Whelan
writes
On Mon, 26 May 2014 09:23:10 +0100, News wrote:

We are plagued. Our car sits outside, beneath trees overhanging from
our neighbour's garden. I clean the moss and general green stuff from
the car with warm water and an old toothbrush. Takes a little time, but
I only bother twice a year.

Eastern European car wash; 6UKP, 20 minutes - job done!

grin Well, yes, if we had Eastern European car washes. We don't even
have those annoying wash-your-windscreen-at-the-traffic-lights types,
either. Probably because we don't have traffic lights. Or Belisha
beacons, or roundabouts. A major traffic jam is two cars waiting behind
a third :-)
--
Graeme, Aberdeenshire
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

In article ,
News wrote:
grin Well, yes, if we had Eastern European car washes. We don't even
have those annoying wash-your-windscreen-at-the-traffic-lights types,
either. Probably because we don't have traffic lights. Or Belisha
beacons, or roundabouts. A major traffic jam is two cars waiting behind
a third :-)
--
Graeme, Aberdeenshire

Crikey - you obviously never drive to Aberdeen. That has some of the worst
traffic jams anywhere. ;-)

--
*WHAT IF THERE WERE NO HYPOTHETICAL QUESTIONS?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
News wrote:

major traffic jam is two cars waiting behind
a third :-)

Crikey - you obviously never drive to Aberdeen. That has some of the worst
traffic jams anywhere. ;-)

Agreed. I avoid Aberdeen at all costs. Getting to the centre is OK on
rare occasions if timed right, but, to be honest, I don't drive very
often. Between us, we manage 5-6k miles a year, of which I may drive
25%. Having said that, we're driving south to see family soon, and that
is 500 miles each way, most of which I'll probably drive.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

"News" wrote in message

grin Well, yes, if we had Eastern European car washes. We don't even
have those annoying wash-your-windscreen-at-the-traffic-lights types,
either. Probably because we don't have traffic lights. Or Belisha
beacons, or roundabouts. A major traffic jam is two cars waiting behind a
third :-)
--
Graeme, Aberdeenshire

If I see more than two or three other cars during a 10 mile drive I start to
wonder if there's an event on somewhere they're going to.

David, Aberdeenshire

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On Mon, 26 May 2014 14:10:56 +0100, Dave Baker wrote:

"News" wrote in message

grin Well, yes, if we had Eastern European car washes. We don't
even have those annoying wash-your-windscreen-at-the-traffic-lights
types, either. Probably because we don't have traffic lights. Or
Belisha beacons, or roundabouts. A major traffic jam is two cars
waiting behind a third :-)
--
Graeme, Aberdeenshire

If I see more than two or three other cars during a 10 mile drive I
start to wonder if there's an event on somewhere they're going to.

David, Aberdeenshire

Enough already! I'm ****ed off with the weather as it is!

I leave in a town that is predicted to be the first place a true grid-
lock will happen.

Chris, Berkshire.

--
Remove prejudice to reply.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

In article ,
Dave Baker wrote:
If I see more than two or three other cars during a 10 mile drive I
start to wonder if there's an event on somewhere they're going to.

And if you saw a convertible with the hood down, it would be *the* summer
day. ;-)

--
*If you ate pasta and anti-pasta, would you still be hungry?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Dave Baker wrote:
If I see more than two or three other cars during a 10 mile drive I
start to wonder if there's an event on somewhere they're going to.

And if you saw a convertible with the hood down, it would be *the*
summer day. ;-)

They only have two seasons in Scotland, - Winter and August

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On 26/05/2014 16:00, Phil L wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Dave Baker wrote:
If I see more than two or three other cars during a 10 mile drive I
start to wonder if there's an event on somewhere they're going to.

And if you saw a convertible with the hood down, it would be *the*
summer day. ;-)

They only have two seasons in Scotland, - Winter and August

My experience of Scotland in August was camping out near
Grantown-on-Spey one night back in the 60s. There was ice on the tent in
the morning. The station commander at RAF Kinloss told us ATC cadets
that it was the sunniest RAF station in the UK. He didn't mention the
cold and the wind, though.

--
Peter
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

In article ,
Phil L wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Dave Baker wrote:
If I see more than two or three other cars during a 10 mile drive I
start to wonder if there's an event on somewhere they're going to.

And if you saw a convertible with the hood down, it would be *the*
summer day. ;-)

They only have two seasons in Scotland, - Winter and August

In Aberdeen it's wet or windy and wet. ;-)

--
*The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on my list.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

In article ,
Ramsman wrote:
My experience of Scotland in August was camping out near
Grantown-on-Spey one night back in the 60s. There was ice on the tent in
the morning. The station commander at RAF Kinloss told us ATC cadets
that it was the sunniest RAF station in the UK. He didn't mention the
cold and the wind, though.

But at least it kept the midges away.

--
*IS THERE ANOTHER WORD FOR SYNONYM?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

In article ,
Phil L wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Dave Baker wrote:
If I see more than two or three other cars during a 10 mile drive I
start to wonder if there's an event on somewhere they're going to.

And if you saw a convertible with the hood down, it would be *the*
summer day. ;-)

They only have two seasons in Scotland, - Winter and August

In Aberdeen it's wet or windy and wet. ;-)

if you can't see the church it must be raining, if you can see it then
its about to rain (or something like that)

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On 25/05/2014 19:54, T Blake wrote:
Looking to buy a pressure washer at the cheaper end of the market. Its use
would be to periodically clean around the crack and crevices of our car that
doesn't see a lot of use these days. I can only think the green moss like
growth growing in the cracks is doing no good at all.

It seems the market leader (ie most common )is Karcher, and Currys do a
Karcher K2 compact model at £79, pressure is 110 bar.

Would this be as good as any to get, or would anyone recommend something
else? Thanks.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...ure_washer_FAQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On 26/05/2014 09:50, Chris Whelan wrote:
On Mon, 26 May 2014 09:23:10 +0100, News wrote:

In message , T Blake
writes

Thanks. Any other better suggestions then, on how to get the green moss
out of the tiny spaces?

We are plagued. Our car sits outside, beneath trees overhanging from
our neighbour's garden. I clean the moss and general green stuff from
the car with warm water and an old toothbrush. Takes a little time, but
I only bother twice a year.

Eastern European car wash; 6UKP, 20 minutes - job done!

Chris

It's only 3.99 UKP where I go, but the chiseling b******s never give
me the 1p change. :-)

--
Gordon H

Remove Invalid to reply

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

-- *WHAT IF THERE WERE NO HYPOTHETICAL QUESTIONS?

Where d'you get those super .sig lines? ;-)

--
Gordon H

Remove Invalid to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On 25/05/2014 19:54, T Blake wrote:
Looking to buy a pressure washer at the cheaper end of the market. Its use
would be to periodically clean around the crack and crevices of our car that
doesn't see a lot of use these days. I can only think the green moss like
growth growing in the cracks is doing no good at all.

It seems the market leader (ie most common )is Karcher, and Currys do a
Karcher K2 compact model at £79, pressure is 110 bar.

Would this be as good as any to get, or would anyone recommend something
else? Thanks.

I put my pressure washer of wifes Fiesta ... and it took all the paint
off :-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

Rick Hughes wrote:

I put my pressure washer of wifes Fiesta ... and it took all the paint
off :-(

You're not supposed to use the Tornado nozzle ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On Mon, 26 May 2014 08:50:30 +0000 (UTC), Chris Whelan
wrote:

On Mon, 26 May 2014 09:23:10 +0100, News wrote:

In message , T Blake
writes

Thanks. Any other better suggestions then, on how to get the green moss
out of the tiny spaces?

We are plagued. Our car sits outside, beneath trees overhanging from
our neighbour's garden. I clean the moss and general green stuff from
the car with warm water and an old toothbrush. Takes a little time, but
I only bother twice a year.

Eastern European car wash; 6UKP, 20 minutes - job done!

What about the time driving and a couple of Hundred quid on fuel and
ferries to get there and back.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On Mon, 26 May 2014 22:49:11 +0100, Rick Hughes
wrote:

On 25/05/2014 19:54, T Blake wrote:
Looking to buy a pressure washer at the cheaper end of the market. Its use
would be to periodically clean around the crack and crevices of our car that
doesn't see a lot of use these days. I can only think the green moss like
growth growing in the cracks is doing no good at all.

It seems the market leader (ie most common )is Karcher, and Currys do a
Karcher K2 compact model at £79, pressure is 110 bar.

Would this be as good as any to get, or would anyone recommend something
else? Thanks.

I put my pressure washer of wifes Fiesta ... and it took all the paint
off :-(

Some have settings and it isn't compulsory to always use full blast,
I used to pressure wash the dog, first time was accidental when the
silly bugger started to bite the jet of water. After that it became a
game, in fact he was a nuisance as you couldn't risk full pressure
with him nearby.
But for cars I've found that while useful for shifting thick mud
pressure washers always leave a film of dirt that needs wiping off.
Might as well use a hose and sponge in most circumstances.

G.Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On Mon, 26 May 2014 23:48:03 +0100, damduck-egg wrote:

[...]

Eastern European car wash; 6UKP, 20 minutes - job done!

What about the time driving and a couple of Hundred quid on fuel and
ferries to get there and back.

LOL!

Don't know where in the UK you are, but around here you don't have to
travel far to feel you are abroad...

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On 27/05/2014 07:44, Chris Whelan wrote:
On Mon, 26 May 2014 23:48:03 +0100, damduck-egg wrote:

[...]

Eastern European car wash; 6UKP, 20 minutes - job done!

What about the time driving and a couple of Hundred quid on fuel and
ferries to get there and back.

LOL!

Don't know where in the UK you are, but around here you don't have to
travel far to feel you are abroad...

Chris

Same here, there are three hand car washes that I know of within a short
walk distance, all staffed by East Europeans. All cheap, good standard
of work, friendly and quick. There is also a good quality automatic car
wash that often has a 99p option, which is very convenient and cheaper
than diy, again staffed by E. Europeans.
There are at least 7 houses in my road that have Bosnian, Polish or
Letts in them, out of 50 houses!
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On 26/05/2014 22:49, Rick Hughes wrote:
On 25/05/2014 19:54, T Blake wrote:
Looking to buy a pressure washer at the cheaper end of the market. Its
use
would be to periodically clean around the crack and crevices of our
car that
doesn't see a lot of use these days. I can only think the green moss like
growth growing in the cracks is doing no good at all.

It seems the market leader (ie most common )is Karcher, and Currys do a
Karcher K2 compact model at £79, pressure is 110 bar.

Would this be as good as any to get, or would anyone recommend something
else? Thanks.

I put my pressure washer of wifes Fiesta ... and it took all the paint
off :-(

If a pressure washer took it off - it was going to fall off anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On Tue, 27 May 2014 08:09:38 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

[...]

I put my pressure washer of wifes Fiesta ... and it took all the paint
off :-(

If a pressure washer took it off - it was going to fall off anyway.

True, but the more powerful washers on the highest setting can remove the
paint work's lacquer coating, de-laminate number-plates, and cause
localised damage to tyre side walls.

Luckily, I have only experienced the first two... ;-)

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Dave Baker wrote:
If I see more than two or three other cars during a 10 mile drive I
start to wonder if there's an event on somewhere they're going to.

And if you saw a convertible with the hood down, it would be *the* summer
day. ;-)

Lol, you funny. There are no open top convertibles up here. The little
ginger locals burst into flame in direct sunlight.
--
Dave Baker

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On Tue, 27 May 2014 08:38:51 +0100, Dave Baker wrote:

[...]

There are no open top convertibles up here. The little
ginger locals burst into flame in direct sunlight.

Heh!

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On 26/05/2014 22:52, SteveH wrote:
Gordon H wrote:

Eastern European car wash; 6UKP, 20 minutes - job done!

Chris

It's only 3.99 UKP where I go, but the chiseling b******s never give
me the 1p change. :-)

My local one is 4 quid. But I always chuck him a fiver.

I do that on cold winter days...

--
Gordon H

Remove Invalid to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On 27/05/2014 08:34, Chris Whelan wrote:
On Tue, 27 May 2014 08:09:38 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

[...]

I put my pressure washer of wifes Fiesta ... and it took all the paint
off :-(

If a pressure washer took it off - it was going to fall off anyway.

True, but the more powerful washers on the highest setting can remove the
paint work's lacquer coating, de-laminate number-plates, and cause
localised damage to tyre side walls.

Luckily, I have only experienced the first two... ;-)

Chris

Oh no they can't!

There is no way on Gods earth that a pressure washer can remove a
lacquer coat - unless it was incorrectly applied in the first place.

Same goes for number plates & tyres.

I spent 30 years selling pressure washers up to 250 bar and not only
have I never experienced these problems, I've never heard of a proven case.

250 bar will cut a breeze block in half.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On Tue, 27 May 2014 18:39:06 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

[...]

Oh no they can't!

There is no way on Gods earth that a pressure washer can remove a
lacquer coat - unless it was incorrectly applied in the first place.

Same goes for number plates & tyres.

I spent 30 years selling pressure washers up to 250 bar and not only
have I never experienced these problems, I've never heard of a proven
case.

250 bar will cut a breeze block in half.

So are you saying that something powerful enough to cut a breeze block in
half won't remove a lacquer coat?

I promise you hand on heart that a top-range, but domestic Karcher
removed great chunks of lacquer from the front bumper of my Focus, owned
by me from new.

BTW, the independent repairer who repainted the bumper for me, and who
had a similar length of experience in his job as you had selling pressure
washers, told me that it was a quite common occurrence.

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On Tue, 27 May 2014 20:42:22 +0000, Chris Whelan wrote:

I spent 30 years selling pressure washers up to 250 bar and not only
have I never experienced these problems, I've never heard of a proven
case.

250 bar will cut a breeze block in half.

So are you saying that something powerful enough to cut a breeze block
in half won't remove a lacquer coat?

I'm sceptical, too.

I promise you hand on heart that a top-range, but domestic Karcher
removed great chunks of lacquer from the front bumper of my Focus, owned
by me from new

Which, of course, doesn't mean it hadn't been repainted...