Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Free delivery over £10

I think Toolsatan started this, but the concept seems to be spreading.

Supadrug now do it and so do Maplin.

Just ordered an aluminium step stool & a torch from Maplin, total £13:99
delivered free.

Dunno how they make any money doing it though. SF still stick with
their £50 - which is why I don't order from them much.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Medway Handyman
scribeth thus
I think Toolsatan started this, but the concept seems to be spreading.

Supadrug now do it and so do Maplin.

Just ordered an aluminium step stool & a torch from Maplin, total £13:99
delivered free.

Dunno how they make any money doing it though. SF still stick with
their £50 - which is why I don't order from them much.

I suppose it works on a quantity basis in that the order value is likely
to be more that what we might think it to be i.e. the item for 13 odd
quid. I reckon they could almost keep someone employed to do that if the
volume was sufficient..

Idea!. Next time you get a delivery ask who he/she works for etc?..

In fact a lot of motor factors have their own delivery person/s well
they do round these parts. I suppose when a garage needs a part they
need it now and haven't got time to faff around leaving the job to go
across town to get said part/s .. perhaps?..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

+1

Screwfux under kingfisher appear to be trying to re-fragment their market, doing the opposite of how they came into being. Plumbfux, electrifux etc all with extra discount if you are 'trade' which given how steep their 'normal' prices now seem to be, brings them back to where toolsatan pricing is for 'anybody'?? Go figure!

And the 'do you want fries with that' checkout upsell slows everyone down & ****es them off too...

Toolsatan is my first choice these days

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think Toolsatan started this, but the concept seems to be spreading.

Supadrug now do it and so do Maplin.

Just ordered an aluminium step stool & a torch from Maplin, total £13:99
delivered free.

Dunno how they make any money doing it though. SF still stick with
their £50 - which is why I don't order from them much.

I'm amazed I ordered some items from ebay they get shipped form HongKong
for free .... items wee less than £2

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rick Hughes wrote:
I'm amazed I ordered some items from ebay they get shipped form HongKong
for free .... items wee less than £2

And if you try the same from a US company you'll likely find the postage
charges many times the cost of the item. So no surprise the US is in such
decline.

--
*A bicycle can't stand alone because it's two tyred.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm amazed I ordered some items from ebay they get shipped form
HongKong for free .... items wee less than £2

AIUI for little things the universal postal union applies: the sender
pays to get it to the UK from where Royal Mail has to deliver it "for
free". All meant to be reciprocal and balance out. Probably did in
days of empire with mostly letters going to and fro. But these days it
means not much cost at their end (HK especially is a small place) and a
hidden subsidy from Royal Mail's paying customers.

Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , JimK
scribeth thus
+1

Screwfux under kingfisher appear to be trying to re-fragment their market, doing
the opposite of how they came into being. Plumbfux, electrifux etc all with
extra discount if you are 'trade' which given how steep their 'normal' prices
now seem to be, brings them back to where toolsatan pricing is for 'anybody'??
Go figure!

And the 'do you want fries with that' checkout upsell slows everyone down &
****es them off too...

Toolsatan is my first choice these days

Jim K

Likewise .. there a lot more helpful in our local Cambridge branch...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
scribeth thus
In article ,
Rick Hughes wrote:
I'm amazed I ordered some items from ebay they get shipped form HongKong
for free .... items wee less than £2

And if you try the same from a US company you'll likely find the postage
charges many times the cost of the item. So no surprise the US is in such
decline.

Yes there are something's I'd like to buy from there but carriage and
import duties amount to more then the items worth a lot of the time.,.

Still they say it's the land of the free don't they;?...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

if you try the same from a US company you'll likely find the postage
charges many times the cost of the item. So no surprise the US is in such
decline.

Amazon seem to have caught onto the silly prices of that, quite a few
small items now they'll batch up, presumably having them delivered to a
US warehouse, then doing a big batch of US-UK shipments on their own back.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Just ordered an aluminium step stool & a torch from Maplin, total £13:99
delivered free.

Dunno how they make any money doing it though.

If you can give them volume of deliveries, there's good discounts to be
had from the couriers - much the same basis as trade outlet discounts.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/14 14:08, tony sayer wrote:

In fact a lot of motor factors have their own delivery person/s well
they do round these parts. I suppose when a garage needs a part they
need it now and haven't got time to faff around leaving the job to go
across town to get said part/s .. perhaps?..

Garages have worked like this for many years. In fact they will often
order the same part from more than one factor and use the one that
arrives first. The duplicate parts will be collected with the next delivery.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/2014 14:09, JimK wrote:
+1

Screwfux under kingfisher appear to be trying to re-fragment their market, doing the opposite of how they came into being. Plumbfux, electrifux etc all with extra discount if you are 'trade' which given how steep their 'normal' prices now seem to be, brings them back to where toolsatan pricing is for 'anybody'?? Go figure!

And the 'do you want fries with that' checkout upsell slows everyone down & ****es them off too...

Toolsatan is my first choice these days

Jim K

Except for tools. Most of their tools seem to be Silverline these days.
I have never had a Silverline tool that is fit for purpose. Even the
Silverline green garden refuse sack that I thought couldn't possibly go
wrong split after the first use.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew May wrote:
Except for tools. Most of their tools seem to be Silverline these days.
I have never had a Silverline tool that is fit for purpose. Even the
Silverline green garden refuse sack that I thought couldn't possibly go
wrong split after the first use.

I presume you take them back for a refund, then?

I'd also ask why you keep on buying this brand if you know it to be
rubbish?

I've only got a couple of Silverline things. Both OK, considering the low
price.

--
*Acupuncture is a jab well done*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew May wrote:
Except for tools. Most of their tools seem to be Silverline these days.
I have never had a Silverline tool that is fit for purpose. Even the
Silverline green garden refuse sack that I thought couldn't possibly go
wrong split after the first use.

I presume you take them back for a refund, then?

I'd also ask why you keep on buying this brand if you know it to be
rubbish?

I've only got a couple of Silverline things. Both OK, considering the low
price.

Yes to the last couple of things. After that I have rejected them when
they have brought them out and I have seen who they are made by. The
rubbish sack it was just no worth the petrol to take it back.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew May wrote:
In article ,
Andrew May wrote:
Except for tools. Most of their tools seem to be Silverline these days.
I have never had a Silverline tool that is fit for purpose. Even the
Silverline green garden refuse sack that I thought couldn't possibly go
wrong split after the first use.

I presume you take them back for a refund, then?

I'd also ask why you keep on buying this brand if you know it to be
rubbish?

I've only got a couple of Silverline things. Both OK, considering the low
price.

Yes to the last couple of things. After that I have rejected them when
they have brought them out and I have seen who they are made by. The
rubbish sack it was just no worth the petrol to take it back.

Thing with Silverline is you can't judge one product by the others. As
they seem to source things from different makers. If they really were so
bad as a whole would Screwfix really sell them? I'd certainly take any
broken stuff back to them. Including refuse sacks if they were poor.

--
*Black holes are where God divided by zero *