Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cleaning nozzles of dishwasher rotor arm?

The rotor arms of our dishwashwer strike me as the epitome of bad design.
The spray nozzles at the tips continually getting clogged with tiny bits of
crap which are almost impossible to dislodge.

If you try to poke the blockage out with a cocktail stick or pin, it won't
fit through the nozzle from where it's wedged, and falls back inside the
rotor arm.

If the obstruction ends up within the rotor arm it's very hard to get it
out, as the only route is the hole in the axis of the arm where the water
enters; if you try to flush the arm through this axial hole (which is at 90
deg to the direction of flow), tipping it to and fro, water just tends to
run up and down inside the arm bypassing the axial hole (IYSWIM) and the
offending bits of ****e invariably end up jamming a nozzle again.

Any top tips? I was thinking about standing the rotor arm in a jar of
caustic soda solution overnight to dissolve the obstructions; but seems
like major overkill, especially for a regularly-recurring problem.

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Aren't there supposed to be filters to avoid this issue?

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Lobster writes:
[...]

Check the filters for holes, or for not being seated properly.
They should be filtering out debris which is too large to fit through
the jets. (Large opening in the bottom of the filter is used to back-
flush the filter as the water is pumped away at the end of the wash
cycles.)

In one of the ones I look after, the heating element is after the filter,
and any scale which forms and breaks away from that can get stuck in the
jets. (It's not hard water scale in this case because it's insoluable in
descaler. It's something formed by the detergent getting hot.)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 20/05/2014 09:14, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Lobster writes:
[...]

I've had this on a Bosch d/w. We replaced the filter on it, so it may
indeed have been something to do with holes in the filter. I can't
remember whether the two events coincided, but I do remember that the
arm is made in two parts that clip together so it was easy to get inside
and empty out the bits trapped there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 20 May 2014 07:41:17 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

[...]

I must be lucky, I have never had that happen on my Tricity Bendix
DH100 in over 20 years of service.
In fact it's probably been the most reliable domestic appliance I have
ever owned, the only failures being the door counterbalance springs
snapping and the timer knob being a bit skewed due to the mounting
bosses breaking.

Soft water area incidentally.

--

Graham.