Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Glass kitchen splashbacks

Anyone done these?

Seems 6mm toughened is standard, usually spray painted on reverse and attached with mirror adhesive. Allowing a few mm for expansion on dimensions.

Looking for a supplier/ manufacturer oop North preferred, and of course, any experiences, gotchas, logical thoughts on the topic.

Cheers
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JimK wrote:

Anyone done these?

Nope.

Looking for a supplier/ manufacturer oop North preferred

For the smoked shelves for my chimney TV unit, I used this mob
http://www.pradglass.com

Delivery was a little slower than expected (though Easter did intervene)
the finish if the rounding/polishing was excellent, they're darn sarf,
but delivery was by courier anyway and packaging was very good.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote in
o.uk:

JimK wrote:

Anyone done these?

Nope.

Looking for a supplier/ manufacturer oop North preferred

For the smoked shelves for my chimney TV unit, I used this mob
http://www.pradglass.com

Delivery was a little slower than expected (though Easter did intervene)
the finish if the rounding/polishing was excellent, they're darn sarf,
but delivery was by courier anyway and packaging was very good.

Perhaps not North enough:

http://www.alvastonglass.co.uk/index.asp

Personally -- I prefer them to be removable for decorating. I would also
worry about the adhesive pulling off the colour.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 May 2014 05:06:34 -0700 (PDT), JimK
wrote:

Looking for a supplier/ manufacturer oop North preferred, and of course, any experiences, gotchas, logical thoughts on the topic.

Talk to your local glass merchant. I got plain toughened glass for
shelving made to measure from a company three miles from where I live,
in Leicester so not north enough. If the market's calling for coloured
I'd be surprised if they couldn't do it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/05/2014 13:06, JimK wrote:
Anyone done these?

Seems 6mm toughened is standard, usually spray painted on reverse and
attached with mirror adhesive. Allowing a few mm for expansion on
dimensions.

Looking for a supplier/ manufacturer oop North preferred, and of
course, any experiences, gotchas, logical thoughts on the topic.

Cheers Jim K

You can pickup various sizes of tempered glass in Ikea, you can't cut
them but you may be lucky.

Eg http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/80208746/

I used one for a desk.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/60223823/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Talk to your local glass merchant./

Er yerss, his eyewateringly 'optimistic' pricing is where the problem started....

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JimK wrote:

Peter Johnson wrote:

Talk to your local glass merchant./

Er yerss, his eyewateringly 'optimistic' pricing is where the problem started....

When I was looking for my glass balustrade the local supplier
(coincidentally in Leicester) boasted how having all the machinery in
house made them cheaper, yet the were far more expensive than buying
from a one man & dog outfit in Stoke on Trent, who subbed it out to a
company on Merseyside - local is rarely worth it these days.