Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Vaillant turbomax cuts in and out when filling bath

hi our Vaillant turbomax is heating water when filling bath but now and
again the gas goes out but then a few seconds latter relights and heats
the water again can anybody help

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
teddywood1 writes:
hi our Vaillant turbomax is heating water when filling bath but now and
again the gas goes out but then a few seconds latter relights and heats
the water again can anybody help

Could be many causes, but most common is that the secondary heat
exchanger is scalled up, so it can't transfer heat across fast enough
and the primary heating circuit inside the boiler keeps going over
its expected temperature.

If the boiler displays the primary heating circuit temperature, does
this hit a peak just before the burner cuts out?

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to teddywood1, teddywood1 wrote:
teddywood1 wrote:

hi our Vaillant turbomax is heating water when filling bath but now and

again
the gas goes out but then a few seconds latter relights and heats the water
again can anybody help

hi thanks for the prompt answer I will look at the temperature when fill
the bath , how do I descale it would it pay to get a new one
eddie

Posted to uk.d-i-y

teddywood1 wrote:

hi our Vaillant turbomax is heating water when filling bath but now and

again
the gas goes out but then a few seconds latter relights and heats the
water
again can anybody help

hi thanks for the prompt answer I will look at the temperature when fill
the bath , how do I descale it would it pay to get a new one eddie

If it turns out to be the plate heat exchanger, it is quite easy to
remove and clean yourself. When I did my nan's I used an acid based
descaler.
--
Dazza
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to gremlin_95 , teddywood1 wrote:
d*w*ods&ed wrote:

If it turns out to be the plate heat exchanger, it is quite easy to
remove and clean yourself. When I did my nan's I used an acid based
descaler.
--
Dazza

thanks I will give it a go asap and let you know

Posted to uk.d-i-y

teddywood1 wrote:

hi our Vaillant turbomax is heating water when filling bath but now and

again
the gas goes out but then a few seconds latter relights and heats the
water
again can anybody help

hi thanks for the prompt answer I will look at the temperature when fill
the bath , how do I descale it would it pay to get a new one eddie

If it turns out to be the plate heat exchanger, it is quite easy to
remove and clean yourself. When I did my nan's I used an acid based
descaler.

The descaler to use is Furnox DS-3, available from plumbers merchants
in a tub. Make sure you fully dissolve the crystals before pouring
the descaler in - it's not good to end up with crystals left in the
heat exchanger afterwards. The descaler has an indicator dye in it
which is yellow when it's usable, and blue or green when it's used up.
You want to keep pouring descaler through the plate exchanger until
it goes green/blue, and then discard and mix up some more. Repeat
this until the you can't get the descaler to go blue/green, i.e.
there's no more scale left.

Do this in a washing up bowl or similar, so you can recover the
descaler which spills out, to pour though again. The indicator dye in
the descaler can stain some surfaces. The amount of scale in a plate
exchanger can be enormous - you wonder how so much can even fit in,
and it can use a lot of descaler (don't bother trying to use little
packs for kettles). It works better if the water is warm, but it may
froth initially and generate an acidic airosol spray which is not
plesent to breath in - do it in a well ventilated area.

One other possibility is that the primary side is blocked with
rust which has been circulating in the heating system, if it's
been run without inhibitor or the inhibitor has expired. This
may not be recoverable, requiring a new plate exchanger. Descaler
is not intended to dissolve rust, although it might do so enough
to allow it to be dislodged and washed out. Normally when this
happens, the plate exchanger will need replacing, after cleaning
out the rest of the primary circuit including all the radiators
and pipework. If the system has radiators which have rusted on
the inside, it will need an inline filter/strainer fitting to
trap rust particles returning to the boiler, so they can't get
into the plate exchanger.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Andrew Gabriel , teddywood1 wrote:
andrew wrote:

In article ,
gremlin_95 writes:
[...]

thanks for the great write up I will follow the instructions you have
given me
eddie

Vaillant Turbomax VCW 242E Sukhi UK diy 6 November 15th 06 09:46 PM
Vaillant Turbomax VUW242e [email protected] UK diy 3 October 13th 06 09:24 PM
Vaillant Turbomax on Calor John UK diy 9 September 29th 06 07:38 PM
Vaillant 824 Turbomax Plus [email protected] UK diy 4 April 17th 06 12:52 AM
Vaillant Turbomax Pro DHW too hot Shabs UK diy 6 June 17th 04 09:08 PM