Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Vaillant Turbomax VCW 242E

On my Vaillant, CH is fine, HW not working, called the local plumber,
he said its diverter, £150 parts + 70 fitting. I googled for it, its
about £90.

Is it easy to fit, where do I get the manual from, can I do it my self,
is it advisable.

Could it be any part within the diverter, or do I have to replace the
whole thing.

can any one help please.

Sukhi

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 05:34:12 -0700, Sukhi wrote:

On my Vaillant, CH is fine, HW not working, called the local plumber,
he said its diverter, £150 parts + 70 fitting. I googled for it, its
about £90.

Is it easy to fit, where do I get the manual from, can I do it my self,
is it advisable.

Could it be any part within the diverter, or do I have to replace the
whole thing.

can any one help please.

We almost need a FAQ for VCW 242's!
Frankly this is a £250 quid
job which ever way you add it up. The job does not scare me but it is
definitely not for beginners. The manual which is absolutely essential is
available from Vaillant. Any pro who takes this one with out allowing for
a solid 1/2 days work is either inexperienced, naive, a genius or a fool
or a combination of those.
This boiler is 10-20 years old, it's by no means at the end of it's
life yet but this is likely to be a non-trivial repair. Expect problems
with washers, limescale and corrosion.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You can download manuals from http://www.user-manual-search.com

Regards,
Michel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"magna750" wrote in message
ups.com...
You can download manuals from http://www.user-manual-search.com

Regards,
Michel

Yep, in Dutch.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message . com,
magna750 writes
You can download manuals from http://www.user-manual-search.com

Great for kaesekoepfe

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Here is a site that I have come accross recently that I found good
results with http://www.theusermanualsite.com/ it has a lot of
different products you can search through including a household items
section that can probably help you as well
http://www.theusermanualsite.com/man...appliance.html
Sukhi wrote:
On my Vaillant, CH is fine, HW not working, called the local plumber,
he said its diverter, £150 parts + 70 fitting. I googled for it, its
about £90.

Is it easy to fit, where do I get the manual from, can I do it my self,
is it advisable.

Could it be any part within the diverter, or do I have to replace the
whole thing.

can any one help please.

Sukhi

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ups.com...
Sukhi wrote:
On my Vaillant, CH is fine, HW not working, called the local plumber,
he said its diverter, £150 parts + 70 fitting. I googled for it, its
about £90.

Is it easy to fit, where do I get the manual from, can I do it my self,
is it advisable.

Could it be any part within the diverter, or do I have to replace the
whole thing.

can any one help please.

Sukhi

This one might be a fault my 242 suffered from, and appears a common one.
As far as I remember, its not usually the diverter at fault, more the DHW
flow sense microswitch.

As I understand it, when HW is demanded, a flow switch detects this by a
diaphragm moving a small plunger until it contacts the HW microswitch.

On a badly affected 242, the plunger moves oh so slowly towards the
microswitch, taking 30 seconds or more if at all.

You can see it in action if you take the front panel off, there will be a
central shiny piece of 3/4" (?)tube with allsorts attched, and a red
microswitch positioned close above or to the side of a mechanism attached to
the tube. If the plunger works at all, you'll be able to see it in action,
even if slowly.

The cause is corrosion I believe. So, it may be the DHW
sensor/diaphragm/plunger mechanism that is stuffed, not the diverter. Sorry
I can't come up with a less rambling explanation.

Ed Sirrett knows, and has commented on this before.

Andy.