Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Strimmer/Brushcutter

Ok, I've just managed to kill my old McCulloch (sp?) petrol
strimmer/brushcutter, so I need to replace it.

My front garden is about 20'x20', back garden three times that size. I
live next door to a woods, so it tends to get covered in weeds.

I am *not* a natural gardener (translation: I hate it).

So suggestions please for a replacement - it needs to have a bit of
power due to thistles etc. Not bothered whether it's petrol, mains or
battery powered. Max budget about £100 (less if possible)

TIA

--
Unlock Your Phone's Potential
www.UselessInfo.org.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, May 5, 2014 2:22:38 PM UTC+1, Richard Colton wrote:
Ok, I've just managed to kill my old McCulloch (sp?) petrol
strimmer/brushcutter, so I need to replace it.

My front garden is about 20'x20', back garden three times that size. I
live next door to a woods, so it tends to get covered in weeds.

I am *not* a natural gardener (translation: I hate it).

So suggestions please for a replacement - it needs to have a bit of
power due to thistles etc. Not bothered whether it's petrol, mains or
battery powered. Max budget about �100 (less if possible)

How about "do nothing". Say you are letting wild flowers grow (weeds are
wild flowers).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/05/2014 14:22, Richard Colton wrote:
Ok, I've just managed to kill my old McCulloch (sp?) petrol
strimmer/brushcutter, so I need to replace it.

My front garden is about 20'x20', back garden three times that size. I
live next door to a woods, so it tends to get covered in weeds.

I am *not* a natural gardener (translation: I hate it).

So suggestions please for a replacement - it needs to have a bit of
power due to thistles etc. Not bothered whether it's petrol, mains or
battery powered. Max budget about £100 (less if possible)

TIA

How about a load of Readimix, spread about 4" thick? That'll stop the weeds!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/05/14 14:22, Richard Colton wrote:
Ok, I've just managed to kill my old McCulloch (sp?) petrol
strimmer/brushcutter, so I need to replace it.

My front garden is about 20'x20', back garden three times that size. I
live next door to a woods, so it tends to get covered in weeds.

I am *not* a natural gardener (translation: I hate it).

So suggestions please for a replacement - it needs to have a bit of
power due to thistles etc. Not bothered whether it's petrol, mains or
battery powered. Max budget about £100 (less if possible)

TIA

I have recently got this one:

http://www.blackanddecker.co.uk/gard...no/GLC3630L20/

36V Li-Ion. The string seems to fare better than my old petrol (ie it
does eat it at a rate of knots).

I get about 30-50 minutes hour at about 50% duty cycle out of one charge
on the "eco" speed setting. That's enough to take out non woodly stuff.
Full power is pretty destructive but will reduce the run time.

Now, you can either get a 2nd battery for heavy continuous use (recharge
time is similar to run time) or do as I do which is do a bit then charge
it and switch to another job.

My use is not as heavy as yours sounds, but compared to a Ryobi strimmer
I had:

1) Much lighter;

2) About the same useful power (which is partly a function of string size)

3) Cannot run continuously without 2 batteries, but only you can decide
if this is OK for you.

4) Lack of faffing is nice - not fiddling with 2 stroke mix or burning
arms on a hot engine.

It's NOT a brush cutter, but is seems to be a very capable line trimmer.

I cannot say what the batteries will be like - Bosch I'd be happy to say
they'd probably last a few years, but Bosch do not have a 36V strimmer.

Don't bother with 10.8V "toys". Cannot comment on the 18V machines but
they might be OK.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/05/14 15:37, Martin Bonner wrote:
On Monday, May 5, 2014 2:22:38 PM UTC+1, Richard Colton wrote:
Ok, I've just managed to kill my old McCulloch (sp?) petrol
strimmer/brushcutter, so I need to replace it.

My front garden is about 20'x20', back garden three times that size. I
live next door to a woods, so it tends to get covered in weeds.

I am *not* a natural gardener (translation: I hate it).

So suggestions please for a replacement - it needs to have a bit of
power due to thistles etc. Not bothered whether it's petrol, mains or
battery powered. Max budget about �100 (less if possible)

How about "do nothing". Say you are letting wild flowers grow (weeds are
wild flowers).

I share your sentiment, with the proviso that the "wild flowers" are
actually flowers and not crappy weeds like cow parsley

I have just thrown some wild meadow mix seeds around the edges of my
garden where grass does not flourish.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/05/14 15:56, Brian Gaff wrote:
I doubt you would get an Electric one to do that sort of thing. Not enough
torque.
Brian

I think the momentum makes up for the shortfall in torque. I have not
noticed my 36V strimmer struggling.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/05/14 16:01, Roger Mills wrote:
On 05/05/2014 14:22, Richard Colton wrote:
Ok, I've just managed to kill my old McCulloch (sp?) petrol
strimmer/brushcutter, so I need to replace it.

My front garden is about 20'x20', back garden three times that size. I
live next door to a woods, so it tends to get covered in weeds.

I am *not* a natural gardener (translation: I hate it).

So suggestions please for a replacement - it needs to have a bit of
power due to thistles etc. Not bothered whether it's petrol, mains or
battery powered. Max budget about £100 (less if possible)

TIA

How about a load of Readimix, spread about 4" thick? That'll stop the
weeds!

God no!! I have spent 4 years on and off finding random concrete which
goes under the grass for a metre in some unexpected direction. I have
used god knows how much skip space as well as shagging my car springs
getting rid of the bloody stuff! I think this house was owned by a
readymix driver...

I still have about 60m2 of concrete that will one day be gone...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/05/2014 18:51, Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

A bit of a non-starter I'm afraid. Rented house & all that.

--
Unlock Your Phone's Potential
www.UselessInfo.org.uk
www.ThePhoneLocker.co.uk
www.GSM-Solutions.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/05/2014 16:01, Roger Mills wrote:
On 05/05/2014 14:22, Richard Colton wrote:
Ok, I've just managed to kill my old McCulloch (sp?) petrol
strimmer/brushcutter, so I need to replace it.

My front garden is about 20'x20', back garden three times that size. I
live next door to a woods, so it tends to get covered in weeds.

I am *not* a natural gardener (translation: I hate it).

So suggestions please for a replacement - it needs to have a bit of
power due to thistles etc. Not bothered whether it's petrol, mains or
battery powered. Max budget about £100 (less if possible)

TIA

How about a load of Readimix, spread about 4" thick? That'll stop the
weeds!

Nice idea, but maybe a tad on the expensive side. I can't see the
landlord being incredibly impressed either TBH.

--
Unlock Your Phone's Potential
www.UselessInfo.org.uk
www.ThePhoneLocker.co.uk
www.GSM-Solutions.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/05/2014 18:50, Tim Watts wrote:
On 05/05/14 14:22, Richard Colton wrote:
Ok, I've just managed to kill my old McCulloch (sp?) petrol
strimmer/brushcutter, so I need to replace it.

My front garden is about 20'x20', back garden three times that size. I
live next door to a woods, so it tends to get covered in weeds.

I am *not* a natural gardener (translation: I hate it).

So suggestions please for a replacement - it needs to have a bit of
power due to thistles etc. Not bothered whether it's petrol, mains or
battery powered. Max budget about £100 (less if possible)

TIA

I have recently got this one:

http://www.blackanddecker.co.uk/gard...no/GLC3630L20/

36V Li-Ion. The string seems to fare better than my old petrol (ie it
does eat it at a rate of knots).

I like the look of that, but as far as I can tell, it is a mite
expensive. The cheapest I can find that online is around the £130+ mark.

--
Unlock Your Phone's Potential
www.UselessInfo.org.uk
www.ThePhoneLocker.co.uk
www.GSM-Solutions.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/14 10:22, Richard Colton wrote:

A bit of a non-starter I'm afraid. Rented house & all that.

You can't throw £15 of seeds about?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/14 10:24, Richard Colton wrote:

http://www.blackanddecker.co.uk/gard...no/GLC3630L20/

36V Li-Ion. The string seems to fare better than my old petrol (ie it
does eat it at a rate of knots).

I like the look of that, but as far as I can tell, it is a mite
expensive. The cheapest I can find that online is around the £130+ mark.

Expensive is when you buy the Makita version!

To be honest, *if* it lasts, £130 is as good as you'll ever get for a
Li-Ion device that is not totally crap. If you want a lot cheaper that
actually works, a mains version is your best bet.

I wish I could give it the green light long term, but B&D is a brand
I've not touched for 2 decades. I'm hopeful, but I've taken a chance...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, May 5, 2014 2:22:38 PM UTC+1, Richard Colton wrote:
Ok, I've just managed to kill my old McCulloch (sp?) petrol
strimmer/brushcutter, so I need to replace it.

How dead is it? What is the problem?

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2014 11:18, Tim Watts wrote:
On 06/05/14 10:22, Richard Colton wrote:

A bit of a non-starter I'm afraid. Rented house & all that.

You can't throw £15 of seeds about?

It's the end result that I suspect they wouldn't approve of. I like the
idea, but they expect the garden to be kept tidy.

--
Unlock Your Phone's Potential
www.UselessInfo.org.uk
www.ThePhoneLocker.co.uk
www.GSM-Solutions.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2014 11:53, Muddymike wrote:

On Monday, May 5, 2014 2:22:38 PM UTC+1, Richard Colton wrote:
Ok, I've just managed to kill my old McCulloch (sp?) petrol
strimmer/brushcutter, so I need to replace it.

How dead is it? What is the problem?

Mike

The engine is falling off the shaft, there is also a problem with the
electrical system (no spark most of the time).

TBH, it's a fair few years old and wasn't particularly expensive - I'm
suprised it's lasted this long.

--
Unlock Your Phone's Potential
www.UselessInfo.org.uk
www.ThePhoneLocker.co.uk
www.GSM-Solutions.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, May 6, 2014 11:20:54 AM UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
On 06/05/14 10:24, Richard Colton wrote:

http://www.blackanddecker.co.uk/gard...no/GLC3630L20/

36V Li-Ion. The string seems to fare better than my old petrol (ie it

does eat it at a rate of knots).

I like the look of that, but as far as I can tell, it is a mite

expensive. The cheapest I can find that online is around the �130+ mark.

Expensive is when you buy the Makita version!

To be honest, *if* it lasts, �130 is as good as you'll ever get for a

Li-Ion device that is not totally crap. If you want a lot cheaper that

actually works, a mains version is your best bet.

I wish I could give it the green light long term, but B&D is a brand

I've not touched for 2 decades. I'm hopeful, but I've taken a chance...

Bite the bullet. Get a Stihl

Petrol brushcutter/strimmer/pruner CD[_2_] UK diy 13 August 23rd 13 01:47 PM
Brushcutter FS120 Chade UK diy 2 June 23rd 11 02:23 PM
Ryobi PLT 2543Y strimmer (and replacement strimmer heads) BluntChisel UK diy 0 June 3rd 11 12:36 PM
petrol brushcutter...is this correcdt? Steven Campbell[_3_] UK diy 16 June 13th 09 11:08 PM
Calling Ryobi brushcutter/strimmer owners Piers Finlayson UK diy 20 June 12th 08 12:45 PM