Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT, single cup cOFFEE brewer CHOICE?

Hi all,
I am trying to choose a coffee maker that uses K Cups or pods
to get a constant brew.

I live alone and like the idea of a single cup brewer.

I have been looking at the: NESCAFÉ Dolce Gusto Piccolo by De'Longhi
EDG200.G
and the: Keurig K60/K65 Special Edition Single Serve Coffee Maker,
but cant seem to see that one at Amazon.
If anyone has experiences of these type of machine I would be grateful
for advice!
I live alone and black good quality coffee is my main beverage choice.
Mick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mick
writes
Hi all,
I am trying to choose a coffee maker that uses K Cups or pods
to get a constant brew.

I live alone and like the idea of a single cup brewer.

I have been looking at the: NESCAFÉ Dolce Gusto Piccolo by De'Longhi
EDG200.G
and the: Keurig K60/K65 Special Edition Single Serve Coffee Maker,
but cant seem to see that one at Amazon.
If anyone has experiences of these type of machine I would be grateful
for advice!
I live alone and black good quality coffee is my main beverage choice.
Mick.

We have a Delongi Nespresso. Works OK. Pods are 'kin expensive.

You will spend 5 years and lots of money choosing pods you actually
like. Avoid all flavoured versions eg. Chestnut, vanilla!

I *double dose* my pods to get a bigger cup YMMV

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5/4/2014 6:38 AM, Mick wrote:
Hi all,
I am trying to choose a coffee maker that uses K Cups or pods
to get a constant brew.

I live alone and like the idea of a single cup brewer.

I have been looking at the: NESCAFÉ Dolce Gusto Piccolo by De'Longhi
EDG200.G
and the: Keurig K60/K65 Special Edition Single Serve Coffee Maker,
but cant seem to see that one at Amazon.
If anyone has experiences of these type of machine I would be grateful
for advice!
I live alone and black good quality coffee is my main beverage choice.
Mick.

I use one like this, with freshly-ground coffee -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/White-Porcelain-Coffee-Filter-Cone/dp/B005SQRIV0/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1399202593&sr=8-7&keywords=melitta+cone
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/05/14 11:38, Mick wrote:
Hi all,
I am trying to choose a coffee maker that uses K Cups or pods
to get a constant brew.

I live alone and like the idea of a single cup brewer.

I like the *idea* of a single cup brewer but as my usual cup is half a
litre I don't have any problem with using a generic filter coffee-maker.
No need for expensive "pods" that can't be recycled.

--
Bernard Peek

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The only ones I am familiar with are Tassimo and Nespresso both of which do not get the coffee hot enough for my liking, probably something to do with H & S. I do not know how well the others perform but I do not think I would buy another unless it performed better.

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Tim Lamb
escribió:

We have a Delongi Nespresso. Works OK. Pods are 'kin expensive.

Machines are starting to come out that will no longer take the generic
pods, just like the chip in printer ink/toner cartridges. This is
outrageous and I wouldn't buy a pod machine on principle.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...-a-thing-like-
a-coffee-pod/

I got a Cookworks 15 bar barista-type machine for a quid from a car boot
sale and use that with ground coffee. Much cheaper to run.

I *double dose* my pods to get a bigger cup YMMV

The machine I got came with small and large stainless steel filter
strainers, the larger one gives me the double dose hit I need in the
mornings.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 04 May 2014 11:38:28 +0100, Mick wrote:

Hi all,
I am trying to choose a coffee maker that uses K Cups or pods
to get a constant brew.

I live alone and like the idea of a single cup brewer.

I have been looking at the: NESCAFÉ Dolce Gusto Piccolo by De'Longhi
EDG200.G and the: Keurig K60/K65 Special Edition Single Serve Coffee
Maker, but cant seem to see that one at Amazon.
If anyone has experiences of these type of machine I would be grateful
for advice!
I live alone and black good quality coffee is my main beverage choice.
Mick.

Forget the pods. Basic ground coffee and a Moka Express. The 6 'cup' one
does a large mug nicely.

About 20 quid on eBay and really not much messing about at all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mick wrote:
I live alone and black good quality coffee is my main beverage choice.

Do the pods contain 'real' coffee or just a fancy form of instant with some additives to make it frothy?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mick wrote:

I am trying to choose a coffee maker that uses K Cups or pods
to get a constant brew.

Forget the 'pod' and 'capsule' machines, keep the kettle and use an
aeropress

http://creamsupplies.co.uk/c/cat_225.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/05/14 11:38, Mick wrote:
I am trying to choose a coffee maker that uses K Cups or pods
to get a constant brew.

I find that rather sad really.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mick wrote:

Hi all,
I am trying to choose a coffee maker that uses K Cups or pods
to get a constant brew.

I live alone and like the idea of a single cup brewer.

Instead of paying over the odds for an expensive machine and a supply of
'pods' what's wrong with

- buying pre-ground coffee (and keeping it in a sealed bag or
plastic container in the fridge)

- buying a plastic filter funnel/holder, and filter papers

- and having total control over the amount of coffee that goes
into each cup or mugful?

If you can be bothered, buy coffee beans instead and a small grinder.

to replacing "aaa" by "284".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Sun, 04 May 2014 11:38:28 +0100, Mick wrote:

I live alone and like the idea of a single cup brewer.

I have been looking at the: NESCAFÉ Dolce Gusto Piccolo by De'Longhi
EDG200.G and the: Keurig K60/K65 Special Edition Single Serve Coffee
Maker, but cant seem to see that one at Amazon.
If anyone has experiences of these type of machine I would be grateful
for advice!
I live alone and black good quality coffee is my main beverage choice.
Mick.

Forget the pods. Basic ground coffee and a Moka Express. The 6 'cup' one
does a large mug nicely.

It's not supposed to do one whole mug! Unless you like lots of seriously
strong coffee (and have plenty of money to spend on filling it).

It will fill six espresso-sized cups.

I use a single cup version, with strong ground coffee (but decaf) and pour
that into nearly a mug-full of boiled milk. It's plenty strong enough.
Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Bialetti-Expre.../dp/B0001SJH2I

If you reduce the milk a little, and use some means to froth it, you get a
cappuccino instead of a 'latte macchiato'.

(I knew someone who ran a bar abroad and ordered one of these big
professional machines. But he got it back to front and served espressos in
cappuccino cups, and cappuccinos in espresso cups!)

--
Bartc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/05/2014 13:39, Andy Burns wrote:
Mick wrote:

I am trying to choose a coffee maker that uses K Cups or pods
to get a constant brew.

Forget the 'pod' and 'capsule' machines, keep the kettle and use an
aeropress

http://creamsupplies.co.uk/c/cat_225.html

I find the Aeropress tedious to use. It is fussy over the size of the
receiving vessel - one flask I have is great, the other doesn't work
very well at all. However, it can make some very nice coffee with
minimal dregs.

I would rather a device that was like a Büchner funnel. In fact, maybe I
will check out laboratory equipment makers...

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo id,
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts
escribió:

- buying a plastic filter funnel/holder, and filter papers

It tastes so much better if the hot water/steam is forced through the
grounds under pressure, as you then get the crema that forms from the
coffee oils.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/05/2014 17:45, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo id,
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts
escribió:

- buying a plastic filter funnel/holder, and filter papers

It tastes so much better if the hot water/steam is forced through the
grounds under pressure, as you then get the crema that forms from the
coffee oils.

I agree about the crema. I was given a Krups Piccolo machine that takes
"Dolce Gusto" pods for Christmas, and have hardly used my caffetiere
since then.

The pods cost about 20p each, which is tolerable. My favourite is
Americano, which has a frothy layer of crema on top.

The biggest problem is the fairly low temperature of the drink, but that
can be fixed by pre-heating the cups with boiling water. At some point
I'm going to try taking the machine apart to see whether it can be made
to work at a higher temperature.

The 2-pod drinks like Cappuchino are at bit expensive at 40p per cup.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

http://creamsupplies.co.uk/c/cat_225.html

I find the Aeropress tedious to use.

I've got it down to a fine art with minimal delay, a colleague who
shares mine OTOH dithers and farts about and gets distracted while using
it and usually makes a worse brew.

It is fussy over the size of the receiving vessel

Yes, but you find a mug that fits, then guard it with your life.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi all,
I am trying to choose a coffee maker that uses K Cups or pods
to get a constant brew.

I live alone and like the idea of a single cup brewer.

I have been looking at the: NESCAFÉ Dolce Gusto Piccolo by De'Longhi
EDG200.G
and the: Keurig K60/K65 Special Edition Single Serve Coffee Maker,
but cant seem to see that one at Amazon.
If anyone has experiences of these type of machine I would be grateful
for advice!
I live alone and black good quality coffee is my main beverage choice.
Mick.

Out of interest, why don't you use a simple cafetiere? What do these
fancy gismos provide, in terms of quality, flavour etc. of the final
cup of coffee, that a cafetiere doesn't give you?

cafetieres involve getting rid of the grounds, capsule systems are much
tidier in this respect. But, I use a cafetiere.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi all,
I am trying to choose a coffee maker that uses K Cups or pods
to get a constant brew.

I live alone and like the idea of a single cup brewer.

I have been looking at the: NESCAFÉ Dolce Gusto Piccolo by De'Longhi
EDG200.G
and the: Keurig K60/K65 Special Edition Single Serve Coffee Maker,
but cant seem to see that one at Amazon.
If anyone has experiences of these type of machine I would be grateful
for advice!
I live alone and black good quality coffee is my main beverage choice.
Mick.

Out of interest, why don't you use a simple cafetiere? What do these
fancy gismos provide, in terms of quality, flavour etc. of the final
cup of coffee, that a cafetiere doesn't give you?

Using decent, fresh, beans the different methods of preparation all
produce different flavours, and degrees of fines in the coffee. Coffee
made with high pressure and a very fine grind (espresso) produces
coffee with a very intense flavour and reasonable clarity. Cafetiere
coffee has lots of sediment and generally has a gritty texture. The
clearest coffee is filter coffee, but it has a different flavour to
espresso or cafetiere coffee. The different size of grind and length
of exposure to water change the balance of which flavours are
extracted.

Of course you have to use coffee which has been fairly recently
roasted and very recently ground. The flavour compounds dissipate very
quickly.

Pods are an attempt to provide espresso style coffee with maximum
convenience to the user and maximum profit to the makers. The sealed
capsules make a fair attempt at keeping the coffee fresh and the
results can be reasonable.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/05/2014 18:48, Andy Burns wrote:
polygonum wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

http://creamsupplies.co.uk/c/cat_225.html

I find the Aeropress tedious to use.

I've got it down to a fine art with minimal delay, a colleague who
shares mine OTOH dithers and farts about and gets distracted while using
it and usually makes a worse brew.

It is fussy over the size of the receiving vessel

Yes, but you find a mug that fits, then guard it with your life.

When going off somewhere and needing a couple of small flasks (something
like 350ml, I think) of coffee, I end up making strong coffee in a
cafetiere and then putting it through the Aeropress to get rid of almost
all the sedimenty muck. And top up with a little newly boiled water to
raise the temperature again. I find it effectively impossible to make
enough in one pass through the Aeropress. And cafetiere always leaves
too much muck - after all, flasks tend to get bounced around so do not
allow it all to settle out.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , LumpHammer
escribió:

The pods cost about 20p each, which is tolerable. My favourite is
Americano, which has a frothy layer of crema on top.

I find most shop-sold Americanos too weak. My morning brew is a double
shot of espresso with a little milk. I buy German vacuum-packed ground
coffee from Aldi, a couple of quid and it makes 25 ish cups.

The biggest problem is the fairly low temperature of the drink, but that
can be fixed by pre-heating the cups with boiling water.

Yes, I do that too (or use the steam attachment on the machine). Still
ends up not quite hot enough for my liking, I'm going to experiment with
filling the water tank with warm water.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:

cafetieres involve getting rid of the grounds

I use one pretty rarely, and normally flush the loose grounds down the loo,
but it occurs to me that the 'green' way is presumably to put them in a food
recycling bin... (My filter papers & grounds go into the recycling bin, but
only after they've had an hour or two to drain thoroughly.) But I'd not
want to introduce unnecessary water to a food bin. What do you do?

to replacing "aaa" by "284".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

LumpHammer wrote:

The biggest problem is the fairly low temperature of the drink, but that
can be fixed by pre-heating the cups with boiling water.

I do that too for filter coffee, as otherwise the first trickle of coffee
out of the filter hits a cold mug and must cool considerably. It's bad
enough that the drips have to pass through several inches of chilly air on
their way down. Maybe I could redeploy my otherwise little-used heat-shrink
gun, but I'd probably melt the filter funnel.

Someone else posted a link to a ceramic filter paper holder, and I thought
that would also need preheated... but maybe the heatgun will solve that too!

to replacing "aaa" by "284".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/05/14 11:36, Bill Taylor wrote:

Pods are an attempt to provide espresso style coffee with maximum
convenience to the user and maximum profit to the makers. The sealed
capsules make a fair attempt at keeping the coffee fresh and the
results can be reasonable.

I went to a Google job interview at their London office (not I did not
get it, way too thick, but it was certainly an experience!).

They had a "tea room" that was lined down one wall with about 20 coffee
bean dispensers (all different I think).

Then there were a number of grinders and a couple of those full-on
espresso machines you see in coffee shops (with several "stations" each).

It was self service - though apparently a basic usage course was mandatory.

Those guys rock!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 05 May 2014 19:00:12 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

On 05/05/14 11:36, Bill Taylor wrote:

Pods are an attempt to provide espresso style coffee with maximum
convenience to the user and maximum profit to the makers. The sealed
capsules make a fair attempt at keeping the coffee fresh and the
results can be reasonable.

I went to a Google job interview at their London office (not I did not
get it, way too thick, but it was certainly an experience!).

They had a "tea room" that was lined down one wall with about 20 coffee
bean dispensers (all different I think).

Then there were a number of grinders and a couple of those full-on
espresso machines you see in coffee shops (with several "stations"
each).

It was self service - though apparently a basic usage course was
mandatory.

Those guys rock!

Many years ago [1] I was regularly working at IBM Greenford (developing a
third party operating system on their hardware). They had half a dozen
large 'beans to cup' coffee makers, token operated, all with different
beans, spaced down the cafeteria. Tokens were ludicrously cheap, then you
picked whatever you wanted.

It would have been late 1985 or early 1986. Even then...!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If you're looking for a coffee machine, I think this

http://www.bellabarista.co.uk/brands...presso-coffee-
maker.html

is worth considering.

http://www.bellabarista.co.uk/brands...lman-cx25.html

is a little cheaper.

For what it's worth, I find that espresso (or Moka) pots make really
nice coffee, even if you buy cheap & cheerful supermarket own-brand
ground coffee.
With a cafetere I only found one brand of coffee that made good results
- and that disappeared soon after I found it.

--
Sam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, May 5, 2014 7:00:12 PM UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
On 05/05/14 11:36, Bill Taylor wrote:

Pods are an attempt to provide espresso style coffee with maximum

convenience to the user and maximum profit to the makers. The sealed

capsules make a fair attempt at keeping the coffee fresh and the

results can be reasonable.

I went to a Google job interview at their London office (not I did not

get it, way too thick, but it was certainly an experience!).

They had a "tea room" that was lined down one wall with about 20 coffee

bean dispensers (all different I think).

Then there were a number of grinders and a couple of those full-on

espresso machines you see in coffee shops (with several "stations" each).

It was self service - though apparently a basic usage course was mandatory.

Those guys rock!

Try mentioning coffee on an American forum and you`ll be regarded as an amateur if your not home roasting your own blend never mind just grinding it...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
[...]

Nespresso machines every time - nothing better.